Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference sells out in record 10 hours

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 59
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by srathi View Post

Google I/O 2011 sold out in 59 minutes!

Quite impressive in itself (I never think Google will sell anything out let alone in one hour ) but it's much cheaper.
  • Reply 42 of 59
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Jeez... Just checked my email, just got my invite email from Apple about 12 hours ago. This iOS stuff is a monster...!
  • Reply 43 of 59
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    Quote:

you mean 1 week and 59 minutes - they opened preregistration for attendees of the 09 or 10 conference a week before the public registration opened. The 59 minutes what what it took to get the tickets that were left after preregistration.
  • Reply 44 of 59
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

you mean 1 week and 59 minutes - they opened preregistration for attendees of the 09 or 10 conference a week before the public registration opened. The 59 minutes what what it took to get the tickets that were left after preregistration.

You just had to be the one to show the poster their knowledge of the situation was half-baked.

You beat me to it.
  • Reply 45 of 59
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dougaa View Post

?That's because WWDC affects the work schedule of Apple's engineers. Once a year, instead of doing their usual work, the engineers prepare their WWDC sessions, then spend a week at WWDC presenting and talking with attendees. I seriously doubt Apple would be willing to interrupt work to that extent more than once a year. Also, attendees would want all the engineers available at one conference.

To me, this is the critical issue?the work time of Apple software engineers involved. Making the conference bigger is not going to help. What needs to be explored is ways of extending the communication facilities ? such as participating teleconferences at the event, better filming and distribution of the event to an outer ring of developers of the event at a reduced price, but still under a NDA.
  • Reply 46 of 59
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Deleted
  • Reply 47 of 59
    mikemikebmikemikeb Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Sounds to me like they need a bigger facility to hold this thing. They could probably sell out 10K tickets.

Others in this thread have described the pickle Apple's in in terms of finding an appropriate and larger site in the Bay area. No one mentioned Oracle Arena, but perhaps it's too old and run-down for Steve. Plus, Oracle sponsors the place.

So: Which brings in more money: 10,000 tickets at $3,500 per person, or 5,000 tickets at $8,000 per person? It wouldn't shock me if 5,000 tickets could be sold for that much next year, with this kind of meteoric growth in iOS interest. If the rumors I've heard of iOS and Mac OS integrating are true, that'll only increase demand even further. Maybe $9-10K/head?
  • Reply 48 of 59
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You just had to be the one to show the poster their knowledge of the situation was half-baked.

You beat me to it.

When will the Fandroids stop spewing their effluent all over this site.
  • Reply 49 of 59
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:

I like Googles count down:

http://www.google.com/events/io/2011/index.html

and of course as Solipsism stated, 1/3 of the price is affordable for many more developers.
  • Reply 50 of 59
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikemikeb View Post

Yikes. While it's nice to say your conference was sold out quickly, the bean counter side of me says that a quick sellout means millions of dollars left on the table. Bet the price goes way up next year.

Ticket revenue should NOT be the goal for WWDC. This would hurt apple in the long run. The goal is to foster the development community to the benefit of the platform. This is a better path to increased profitability. Ticket sales are the wrong thing to optimize.
  • Reply 51 of 59
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

Yikes. While it's nice to say your conference was sold out quickly, the bean counter side of me says that a quick sellout means millions of dollars left on the table. Bet the price goes way up next year.

I gather you don't know anything about Steve Jobs or Apple.
  • Reply 52 of 59
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Others in this thread have described the pickle Apple's in in terms of finding an appropriate and larger site in the Bay area. No one mentioned Oracle Arena, but perhaps it's too old and run-down for Steve. Plus, Oracle sponsors the place.

So: Which brings in more money: 10,000 tickets at $3,500 per person, or 5,000 tickets at $8,000 per person? It wouldn't shock me if 5,000 tickets could be sold for that much next year, with this kind of meteoric growth in iOS interest. If the rumors I've heard of iOS and Mac OS integrating are true, that'll only increase demand even further. Maybe $9-10K/head?

I doubt the price will change dramatically. Apple has clearly been growing every year and has sold out WWDC before the event took place since 2008, yet I think the price still remains about same.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

I like Googles count down:

http://www.google.com/events/io/2011/index.html

and of course as Solipsism stated, 1/3 of the price is affordable for many more developers.

That is some nifty webcode. I also like their I/O logo.
  • Reply 53 of 59
    Still G IO sold in 59 minutes. Why people need to make excuses that it is way to cheaper so it doesn't count ? Is this the end of the world to admit that Google drew enormous interest too. I think what they done was pretty impressive, as those 59 minutes were pretty much a physical limit to register as many people in that short time.
  • Reply 54 of 59
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brainless View Post

Still G IO sold in 59 minutes. Why people need to make excuses that it is way to cheaper so it doesn't count ? Is this the end of the world to admit that Google drew enormous interest too. I think what they done was pretty impressive, as those 59 minutes were pretty much a physical limit to register as many people in that short time.

1) So you?re saying the one week of orders don?t count?

2) Let?s say that I/O cost $1,000,000,000 per person and WWDC cost $1 per person. You still think I/O would have sold out so quickly? Of course not, which means you have to admit that price does have an impact on the number potential buyers for a product or you have to go on record to say that price doesn?t have any impact whatsoever.

3) No one is saying that I/O didn?t sell out quickly, but noting there are other factors to consider when looking at the big picture, something you and the OP didn?t do.
  • Reply 55 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

There are multiple venues in the area. San Jose, San Fran and not to mention various Universities can handle this conference without the need to go to L.A.

That's a very good point.

When I worked for IBM, in the Palo Alto Systems center -- we were faced with educating about 7,000 Field System Engineers (Technical Market Support Reps) In the future company plans for:

-- Database

-- Data Communications

-- Application Software

-- Networking

-- OS Support (DOS, OS/MVS, OS/TSO, OS/TSS)

-- OS Migration

IBM had a proliferation of overlapping software systems (especially OSes) and IBM was going to concentrate on a few, rather than many.

It was imperative that we (headquarters) educate and guide the Field reps, to they could, in turn, educate, guide and migrate their customers to the products that IBM would support in the future -- a multi-year process.

We rented the entire campus of Mills College in Oakland.

The instructors and attendees stayed on campus for an entire week.

There were about 7,000 attendees and about 70 teams of instructors on specialized topics -- with about 10 members per team on specialized sub topics.

My team was responsible for IBM DOS to IBM OS MVS migration.

AIR, each team member gave 3 lectures per day to an audience of about 100-150.

Since, everyone (instructors and students) stayed on campus we were encouraged to mingle after hours (captive audience). *

* Towards the end of the week a bunch of us OS migrators, broke out, hit the local pubs then attempted to invade Alameda Island.

It was one of the most exhilarating and exhausting things I ever participated in (the sessions, not the invasion).

At the time it was heralded as one of the most successful technical/marketing projects in IBM history -- with lots of bonuses and promotions as a result.

Apple could certainly do something like that -- Mills, Stanford, UCB... lots of choices.

And the college campuses are specifically set up for this sort of activity.

... It's a very er, ah... collegial atmosphere!

• Reply 56 of 59
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brainless View Post

Orders were placed online. I guess you've never heard of a 20,000 seat concert selling out in 10 minutes? In the case of Google, it was more like 500 tickets sold in an hour because they had preregistration the full week before the 59 minutes started.

Google's conference is 2 days long, Apple's is 5 days long, which pretty much explains the difference in price.
  • Reply 57 of 59
    brainlessbrainless Posts: 272member
    Quote:

...it was more like 500 tickets sold in an hour because...

Yes, that was exactly that sort of hollow excuses I was talking about.

BTW, you have insider info about how many tickets were left to public ?
  • Reply 58 of 59
    This stinks to high heaven because there are dozens of people selling their tickets on ebay for $4,000!!! I looked at purchasing a ticket first thing after they were announced and Apple's policy was that tickets were non-refundable. I thought I had a day or two to think about it and of course they sold out!

It is obvious that the event sold out so quickly because of unscrupulous scalpers. If Apple can make the tickets non-refundable they could certainly make them non-transferable and then the A-holes that want to scalp them would be thwarted.
  • Reply 59 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I doubt the price will change dramatically. Apple has clearly been growing every year and has sold out WWDC before the event took place since 2008, yet I think the price still remains about same.

That is some nifty webcode. I also like their I/O logo.

The page should just be a big red curtain with a handwritten sign:

"We'll let you know when we're open again"