Nokia targets iPhone, iPad & more in second ITC complaint against Apple

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Nokia on Tuesday announced that it has filed a second complaint with the U.S. International Trade Commission, accusing "virtually all" of Apple's products of infringing upon seven patents.

Nokia's suit takes aim at Apple's iPhone, iPod, iPad and Mac lineup, and accuses the Cupertino, Calif., device maker of violating patents with "key features" in those products. Claimed to be infringing are features related to multi-tasking, data synchronization, positioning, call quality, and the use of Bluetooth accessories.

"Our latest ITC filing means we now have 46 Nokia patents in suit against Apple, many filed more than 10 years before Apple made its first iPhone," said Paul Melin, vice president of intellectual property at Nokia. "Nokia is a leading innovator in technologies needed to build great mobile products and Apple must stop building its products using Nokia's proprietary innovation."

Nokia's statement notes that the company has invested 43 billion euros in research and development over the last two decades. It makes no mention of which specific seven patents are included in the filing.

The new complaint comes days after an initial ruling from the ITC found that Apple did not infringe on five Nokia patents. That was based on a previous complaint Nokia filed against Apple, which the ITC began formally investigating in January of 2010.

Nokia said Tuesday that it does not agree with the ITC's initial determination that there was no violation of Section 337 in the initial complaint. The Finnish handset maker said it is still waiting to see the full details of the ruling before deciding its next steps.

The legal battle between Nokia and Apple is already sprawling, and it continues to grow. Apple has its own lawsuit and a complaint with the ITC, and last December Nokia expanded the legal battle with Apple to Europe with patent infringement claims filed in the U.K., Germany and the Netherlands. Nokia said it expects some of those overseas filings to come to trial in the next few months.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    Nice to see that things are different under the new management.
  • Reply 2 of 62
    bullheadbullhead Posts: 493member
    I did not realize frivolous lawsuits were big in Europe? I thought since Microsoft took over Nokia they would not be so desperate? Nokia must realize, as does anyone with half a brain, Windows Phone is a DOA, so now they are grasping at straws and throwing everything they can at Apple to see if something sticks.

I am still amazed at how Microsoft took over Nokia and is going to run it into the ground with a crappy phone OS.
  • Reply 3 of 62
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    I am guessing that soon, Nokia should be classified more as a law firm than as a electronics vendor.
  • Reply 4 of 62
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Perhaps their strategy is to accuse Apple of violating ALL of their patents so that they can use the legal process to determine which of their patents Apple is in fact NOT violating so they can figure out which ideas were mistakes and they can then focus on the ones that Apple is actually using.
  • Reply 5 of 62
    You would think spending 43B euros that they could build something more than the cr@p they build
  • Reply 6 of 62
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

I am guessing that soon, Nokia should be classified more as a law firm than as a electronics vendor.

That seems to be the only viable business model left.

J.
  • Reply 7 of 62
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

A law firm with Microsoft as its strategic client? I suspect some @ Microsoft will think across the lines of "anything that makes life difficult for Apple is good for us".
  • Reply 8 of 62
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    It sure looks like Nokia is struggling if they're having to become patent trolls just to keep their heads above water.
  • Reply 9 of 62
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    Pathetic little company.
  • Reply 10 of 62
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Deleted as duplicate.
  • Reply 11 of 62
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

Pathetic little company.

I'd hardly call them a little company, also at this moment in time we do not actually know what the outcome of this action will be.

It is quite possible that Apple has infringed on their patents.

Nokia has been in the communication business for over 20 years, their patent portfollio is very strong.

I'll concur that they have fallen behind Apple and others with regards to smart phones in recent years but contrary to what seem to be popular American opinion they do not make trash.

I used Nokia handsets for around 10 years before Apple released their iPhone and every single one of them gave me good solid service with no issues whatsoever both in terms of build quality and the software which they ran.

I'm happy with my iPhone and have no intention of switching back, just don't jump to conclusions with regards to this patent battle.
  • Reply 12 of 62
    celemourncelemourn Posts: 769member
    This is just getting ridiculous. Smells like a personal vendetta.

C
  • Reply 13 of 62
    Its official, Nokia are clearly insane. I can understand somewhat if they were going after the iPhone again, since Nokia are a phone manufacturer, but going after the Mac as well!?

What exactly would Nokia be claiming infringement on in a desktop operating system?

Why did they choose to go after all these alleged patents only after loosing the first ruling?

When are they going to realise that they actually need innovation to to stay afloat and not law suits?

Who the hell is running Nokia right now?

How the hell is said person not sectioned under the mental health act?

"Nokia is a leading innovator in technologies..."

I didn't realise it was 1992. Anyone got a spare copy of Word Perfect? I accidentally overwrote the floppy disk with a hookie version of monkey island I got from an Amiga BBS...
  • Reply 14 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

It sure looks like Nokia is struggling if they're having to become patent trolls just to keep their heads above water.

Not really, you have to defend a patent if you want to keep it. If you miss one patent, it will come back to haunt you. Apple is the same, they serve anyone who infringes on patents or trade marks. You cannot even have iMac or apple or any other Apple trademark as a license plate if you are a fanboy. And, whats with the App Store? We all know the "real" App Store is the Apple App Store, but Apple is after Amazon for using it.
  • Reply 15 of 62
    That's a bit absurd coming from a company that has barely moved passed symbian of all things.

Nokia must be on the verge of death or something, it seems to have developed dementia
  • Reply 16 of 62
    Has there been any mention on AI about Kodak's reprieve in its case against Apple and RIM in the patent courts?
  • Reply 17 of 62
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    How about using this ip, and building a windows phone. We still haven't seen one and it has been a while since the announcement.
  • Reply 18 of 62
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celemourn View Post

This is just getting ridiculous. Smells like a personal vendetta.

C

Well they are struggling for their very existence now so anything goes I suppose. Nokia was one of the companies that laughed out loud when Steve announced the iPhone. I remember the condescending statements made about Apple and its entry into the cell phone market.

If Nokia wants to spend the money to do this then that's their business. I'm guessing they think that if they sling enough mud something might stick. Who knows, maybe they will prevail in part.

Everybody is suing everybody these days. It's become a basic part of business models these days apparently.
  • Reply 19 of 62
    ltmpltmp Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

It is quite possible that Apple has infringed on their patents.

I'm happy with my iPhone and have no intention of switching back, just don't jump to conclusions with regards to this patent battle.

Quite true.

As a shareholder, the ongoing battle with Nokia is a big concern for me.

I'd actually be surprised if both parties weren't infringing. I think (and hope) that this will end with negotiated cross licensing and some licensing fees.
  • Reply 20 of 62
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I'd hardly call them a little company

It has nothing to do with it's physical size.