Apple's iOS 5 rumored to have 'deep' voice command integration

Comments

• Reply 41 of 96
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Is it only the black iPhones that will have deep voices?
  • Reply 42 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

So one of the main feature in iOS 5 I won't use. Nice. No matter how good the voice integration is, I don't like talking to a computer.

That's too bad.
  • Reply 43 of 96
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

So one of the main feature in iOS 5 I won't use. Nice. No matter how good the voice integration is, I don't like talking to a computer.

i seriously doubt this will be the main feature, but i agree - i have no interest in voice control. most of the time i'm using my phone i'm either in a place too loud for voice control, too quiet for voice control, or where i don't want everyone knowing what i'm doing or looking at me like i'm crazy for talking to my phone.
  • Reply 44 of 96
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I'd have to agree with other posters that Google voice control and search features are amazingly accurate, as I'm sure Apple's version will be when it eventually gets released. But Google's text translations from voice mails? That really needs some work.

Yeah, really bad. Even with flat Canadian accents, I swear they are being transcribed by a team of retarded monkeys. Sometimes it works great but others it is so far off it is laughable.
  • Reply 45 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

Ding, Did you say "peck a nice peach"

What's this I hear about Endangered Feces?
  • Reply 46 of 96
    Will "Beat up Martin" still be translated as "Eat up Martha"?
  • Reply 47 of 96
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    If it's cloud based, it will improve with time. I can notice the feature improving regularly on Android. And I figure that must have something to do with Google learning from users who use the service.
  • Reply 48 of 96
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dish View Post

Great! now people are going to be walking around talking to their phones....oh wait...err, nevermind.

Then screaming at it, smacking it against a hard surface and finally throwing it across the room.
  • Reply 49 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

i seriously doubt this will be the main feature, but i agree - i have no interest in voice control. most of the time i'm using my phone i'm either in a place too loud for voice control, too quiet for voice control, or where i don't want everyone knowing what i'm doing or looking at me like i'm crazy for talking to my phone.

I think a big target market for this will be the handsfree movement. I see way too many people texting or emailing or BBM while they are driving. If you could speak your texts and emails, at least your hands and eyes wouldn't be occupied elsewhere. And I realize this doesn't prevent distracted drivers, but it would basically be the same as handsfree calling.
  • Reply 50 of 96
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

Dragon Dictation on the iPhone, while it does certainly make errors, is surprisingly effective for ordinary purposes. Don't use it for your résumé, but for a quick email to your friends it's fine.

But Dragon doesn't get held to the same high standard that Apple would. It's a user installed app and not part of the core iOS. If it works well enough for you, fine, if not, no big deal. But now imagine that Apple includes wide ranging voice recognition—that damn well better work well, and really well, or the company will become the endless butt of late-night comedians' jokes.

Those with longer memories will remember what happened with the Apple Newton and its handwriting recognition. That actually worked much better than myth would have it, but there were enough hilarious mistakes that there was simply no coming back from it.

I've used dragon for a long while, and recently with it's newest updates, I find it to be really really good. I can speak a paragraph naturally and it nails every word and even anticipates punctuation.

I've always wondered why this tech wasn't built into the core of iOS...but it appears as if that time has come.

Of course, the cautionary instinct has to ask the question...does the OS ever stop listening? Can this technology easily record a written transcript of everything said in proximity to the iPhone, all the time, sleep or awake? Obviously that's possible. So has the NSA requested those transcripts be filed along with their profile on every American? Likelihood: medium.

I don't care, they can kiss my ___, I'm still going to get one. It's just good practice to know what's going on, and to know what could be going on if the powers that be so choose.
  • Reply 51 of 96
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Desarc, Google's voice control is particularly helpful when driving/navigating.
  • Reply 52 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

I think a big target market for this will be the handsfree movement. I see way too many people texting or emailing or BBM while they are driving. If you could speak your texts and emails, at least your hands and eyes wouldn't be occupied elsewhere. And I realize this doesn't prevent distracted drivers, but it would basically be the same as handsfree calling.

It is against the law and with a big fine in California to hold a phone while driving. When they passed the law people started using BT mics. But now I notice a huge increase in people just blatantly ignoring the law. Furthermore it has been suggested that it is also very dangerous to simply be distracted with a phone conversation while driving, regardless if you are using hands free. Haven't you ever been driving behind someone and could tell they were talking on the phone just by their odd driving behavior?

But texting are you serious that is insane.
  • Reply 53 of 96
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i'd like to see voice to text and ability to reply to text or update twitter

vlingo can do some of this but i'd like to choose the messaging app (i use textnow)

to save $$$

but drivers need a solution because of the distraction of texting while driving

some bluetooth devices say they can do this, e.g. jabra cruiser 2 and blueant S3 but not available yet

that's where it would get a big push, for all that car time
  • Reply 54 of 96
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I'd pay for a lobbyist to push hard for every phone manufacturer to make it impossible for a phone to receive and send texts while driving. Distracted drivers are just as likely to kill someone as a drunk driver.
  • Reply 55 of 96
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I don't use the Universal Access so my home button functions normally. But you answered my question, you are using the option for the physically handicapped users. I take your word for it that it is not very good, I honestly have never tried it in the years I have used Macs (since 1984) . As others have explained this is a totally different system using vastly greater computing power at the server end not the Mac's CPU as your set up is doing.

Tulkas already responded similarly, but you misunderstood my post. I am not talking about accessing features on the Mac via voice, I am specifically talking about iPhone, and it isn't intended as a feature specifically for physically handicapped users. Sure they can use the feature, but it is meant for any user who wants hands-free voice controlled access of their iPhone. I do not believe you can turn this feature off at all. After googling it, I am unable to find a method to completely disable voice control being activated by holding the home button. I am betting that unless you have jailbroken your iphone, if you hold the home button for 3-4 seconds you will see the blue voice control screen pop up.
  • Reply 56 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'd pay for a lobbyist to push hard for every phone manufacturer to make it impossible for a phone to receive and send texts while driving. Distracted drivers are just as likely to kill someone as a drunk driver.

Maybe they could make cars that would deactivate texting on the phone once paired up with BT? That way the passenger could still txt.
  • Reply 57 of 96
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    Sounds good, but how will it do on Jeopardy? Can it beat Ken Jennings?
  • Reply 58 of 96
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Having said that, no doubt there will be those that have to walk around talking LOUDLY to there phones as if this impresses everyone around them. How often sitting in airports have I had day dreams of owning a ray-gun that vaporizes such people!

Off Topic: I love how I can make calls and request music using the current iPhone voice recognition with barely a whisper.
  • Reply 59 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It is against the law and with a big fine in California to hold a phone while driving. When they passed the law people started using BT mics. But now I notice a huge increase in people just blatantly ignoring the law. Furthermore it has been suggested that it is also very dangerous to simply be distracted with a phone conversation while driving, regardless if you are using hands free. Haven't you ever been driving behind someone and could tell they were talking on the phone just by their odd driving behavior?

But texting are you serious that is insane.

Agreed on all points. But, that doesn't change the fact that people talk on the phones while driving and text on the phone while driving. Nor does it change the fact that there are handsfree laws prohibiting doing these while holding the phone. The laws do not prevent people from talking and texting while driving. They allow and such activities to be done handsfree.

So, accepting that people are allowed to talk handsfree (I am not saying the should), then the same is true for texting. Texting via voice should be no more distracting than talking handsfree, which is already happening.
  • Reply 60 of 96
    My voice is already deep. Will this make it deeper?