Continued lines for Apple's iPad 2 create 'shock and awe,' sales forecasts surge

Comments

• Reply 21 of 134
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

These lines are because of stock shorts, nothing more or less. So not really that impressive.

Wrong. Some Apple stores have had thousands of units in stock which were gone in mere hours. It's not like there's two iPads per store and Apple is intentionally holding back supply.

The iPad is sold out all over the world. From the USA, to Germany, to Australia, to New Zealand, to the UK, damn near everywhere.
  • Reply 22 of 134
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don?t get how desarc can know the definition but then not be able to see business as a battle. I think "shock and awe? or ?rapid dominance? easily work here.

no no no, this is Apple. it's not shock and awe. it's "magic".
  • Reply 23 of 134
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    I went to a best buy to see if they had an iPad but I was told that all of the stores are on like a 45 day waiting period. I am looking to get one for college (since I am a freshman in an engineering program). But I really only need the horsepower of a laptop in engineering class itself). So I am trying to get one ASAP. My question being is this true? Cause it sounded like BS.
  • Reply 24 of 134
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Apple has ruined their product launches for me. I used to be excited about getting my hands on a new product. That began to end with the iPhone 4 launch when they delayed my shipment.

I ordered the iPad 2 the day after the release because I couldn't leave work to stand in line. Apple cancelled my order last week and refunded my money with no explanation. So basically I don't care anymore.

My boss' business contact at the Apple Store Willow Bend doesn't answer the phone or return calls. The "magic" is gone.
  • Reply 25 of 134
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seankill View Post

I went to a best buy to see if they had an iPad but I was told that all of the stores are on like a 45 day waiting period. I am looking to get one for college (since I am a freshman in an engineering program). But I really only need the horsepower of a laptop in engineering class itself). So I am trying to get one ASAP. My question being is this true? Cause it sounded like BS.

There is no 45 day waiting period for Apple Stores. They get shipments nearly every day. If you want within a few weeks just order it online, if you want one sooner than you?ll have to call around and take your chances at Apple Stores and other retailers. I know some people have had success on MR forums being told when BestBuy received a huge shipment.
  • Reply 26 of 134
    stourquestourque Posts: 364member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Don't be fooled. Android will absolutely gain market share. With so many devices coming out, people will flock to them the same they flocked to handsets. People want choice and of course the people who love to heavily tinker will never get an iOS based product. Apple will lose ground and most likey not lead the tablet market in the very near future.

That doesn't change the fact that the iPad will continue to offer the best experience and best ecosystem. As for me, no tablets for me.

I don't think you can compare phone sales to tablet sales. The main reason people bought android phones was the cost, which issubsidized by the carriers. Two for one sales and free phones. A few anti apple fanatics bought them. Tablet sales are full cost. No one can compete on price unless they take smaller margins to buy market share.

A colleage of mine was telling me yesterday he bought a 7" acer pad at Giant Tiger (deep discount store which sells clearance crap) for $99. He said it was originally $299. It runs android 1 or 2 but he can upgrade it to 2.2. He didnt know how but his friend is a computer geek and he'll do it for him. I asked him if he bought any clothes as well. Of course he said 'no, I wouldn't wear that crap'. Then I asked him if he'd buy a VCR for $10. He thought I was kidding so I explained that android 2.2 is the phone OS and they just scale it up for a 7" pad. Watching movies will be like comparing VHS tapes to DVD. It told him that that's what those devices are worth - $100.

My point is that people don't buy these devices at full cost because they are inferior to iPads. They have to be cleared out at deep discount prices. How long will companies make stuff, find out it's not selling and then sell at a loss. Not a very solid business plan.

(oh, and I had to laugh when he told me there were a bunch of pictures of Chinese people on it, like someone else had bought it and returned it. Then he kept wanting to borrow my iPad to play angry birds and said how clear it was)
  • Reply 27 of 134
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Apple has ruined their product launches for me. I used to be excited about getting my hands on a new product. That began to end with the iPhone 4 launch when they delayed my shipment.

I ordered the iPad 2 the day after the release because I couldn't leave work to stand in line. Apple cancelled my order last week and refunded my money with no explanation. So basically I don't care anymore.

My boss' business contact at the Apple Store Willow Bend doesn't answer the phone or return calls. The "magic" is gone.

I remember you mentioning that in the past about your order getting mysteriously cancelled. I'm curious as to why you did no simply reorder after a set period of time. Is it possible your credit card info was invalid at the time you ordered it, or perhaps you were an unfortunate victim of a system snag?
  • Reply 28 of 134
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Because then I would have to reorder and wait another 4 weeks from that point. The whole thing is ridiculous.

Like I said, Apple had my money and put it back into my account. I recall them doing this with people after the iPhone 4 launch where people were having their orders mysteriously cancelled.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I remember you mentioning that in the past about your order getting mysteriously cancelled. I'm curious as to why you did no simply reorder after a set period of time. Is it possible your credit card info was invalid at the time you ordered it, or perhaps you were an unfortunate victim of a system snag?

• Reply 29 of 134
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:

Don't be fooled. Android will absolutely gain market share. With so many devices coming out, people will flock to them the same they flocked to handsets. People want choice and of course the people who love to heavily tinker will never get an iOS based product. Apple will lose ground and most likey not lead the tablet market in the very near future.

That doesn't change the fact that the iPad will continue to offer the best experience and best ecosystem. As for me, no tablets for me.

If you bought yourself a Xoom, considered by many reputable reviewers to be the best bet among the crop of Android so far that has been released (the key term there is "released" not "will be released") that would have been the push towards the fulfilment of your prediction.

"I heard there were long lines for Xoom -- Motorola is rethinking its strategy and the rumor is that they decided to build an even better Xoom II sooner than even they planned to do, to meet the growing demand."

Now, if you decide not to buy a tablet, after such high confidence of the inevitable triumph of the Android in the tablet market, where will all the Android buyers come from?

If you can resolve the contradiction for me, then there is hope for Android tablets to overtake iPad2.

To assume that Android tablets will overtake the iPad simply because of the "current lead" in the smartphone failed to consider the factors that differentiate the two products and the factprs involving their sales to consumers.

I myself predicted in this forum that the Android smartphones when considered in their totality might overtake the iPhone a few years back -- when Apple diehards here were gloating about the lead of the iPhone.

The tablet marketing is not dependent to any carrier intervention and that changes the market altogether. In spite of Amazon's grandstanding to one-up Apple, in trying to create a niche for itself in the Android ecosystem, I do not foresee in the next year or so for the Android Ecosystem to beat the Apple Ecosystem in terms of Appls and other services (Apple Store, Genius Bar, One-to-One service, online seminars and actual seminars, etc., etc.).

What good is a car, if one does not know how to drive? When it comes to mobile computing devices. That is where many consumers are == their lack of expertise in the technical aspect of the device. And Apple is there to help the consumer who needs handholding to have the chance to "learn to drive".

That is where the much derided "walled garden" of the Apple Ecosystem excel.

The main hope of Android tablets therefore is not only to beat Apple in technical superiority, eventually offer a better consumer experience (with a much improved holistic ecosystem), and with not much carrier subsidy, beat Apple also in pricing.

When any company in the Android fold can do that, or if they world collaboratively to offer a viable alternative to the Apple Ecosystem -- that is when there is a chance for Android to overtake Apple.

But, even IF the latter might happen in the future, for as long as Apple maintains its superior ecosystem, it is not likely that those who are already in the Apple Ecosystem would simply shift allegiance. 200 million iTunes cardholders is a pretty nice cushion to have as a lead customer base.

CGC
  • Reply 30 of 134
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No no no, they would never let Phil direct. Not even long after Steve leaves Apple to rule a small country (named Appleton). No, it will be starring Steve, as well as written and directed by Steve. They might let Phil hire and manage the extras on set, or maybe order the lunches. He might even get to be a credited producer, if Steve is in a good mood that day.

Steve will direct...he needs to direct.
  • Reply 31 of 134
    Quote:

I don't know if you can extrapolate market share trends for tablets from market share trends for smart phones...

...For several reasons:

1) models exist for all (both in the US) major carriers

2) cell capability is a "nice to have" as opposed to a "must have"

3) tethering mitigates the need for a carrier contract

4) WiFi satisfies most connection needs for a "computing" device

5) Likely, there will be less BOGO promotions

6) Tablets can be sold by an unlimited number of non-carrier-affiliated outlets

Much of the tablet use can be either : unconnected or WiFi-Connected.

As such, the tablet is not only the first post-pc device -- but it is a sans-carrier post-pc device.

• Reply 32 of 134
    I just got an iPad 2 yesterday.

AND, I just got my looooooooooooooooooooooooong time PC user brother to buy a Macbook Air as well. Another one bites the dust!

I'm going to blow him away with the remote desktop app on the iPad while were at lunch one day...
  • Reply 33 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

Gee, sort of like the way people use the word "awesome" to describe everything?

A new pair of socks...

Taking a good crap...

A TV show or pop song...

You name it, it's "awesome".

Steve Jobs does this too.

With him everything is "awesome" or "fantastic" unless it isn't, then it's ... "shit."

I guess this is where we are at culturally/collectively.
  • Reply 34 of 134
    Quote:

Everyone needs a phone.

But not everyone needs a tablet.

The market is not enough for "trial and error" products like early Android phones.
  • Reply 35 of 134
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Do you want a napkin now? And, I am not thinking of the sanitary kind.

Your changed perspective would bring joy to the likes of Apple ][

CGC
  • Reply 36 of 134
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Well if this story is true, it is good that Apple is expanding their distribution chain so there are more places people can get on a waiting list.

-kpluck
  • Reply 37 of 134
    These lines will be dwarfed by the lines for the Playbook.

OK maybe not . . . .
  • Reply 38 of 134
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

Your changed perspective would bring joy to the likes of Apple ][

CGC

I am not sure as to what you are attempting to imply. Why would his changed perspective bring me any joy?

I am joyful because I got my iPad today, finally! Other people's perspectives do not give me any joy, one way or the other.
  • Reply 39 of 134
    <delete>
  • Reply 40 of 134
    Finally scored a Black 16gb wifi Ipad 2 from Radioshack today. Store in Midtown manhattan received 3. Called a store in a shady part of Brooklyn received 12. Chinese guy in front of me bought the last two 3g AT&T Ipad 2 in the Brooklyn store. He was definitely a reseller :-/.