Continued lines for Apple's iPad 2 create 'shock and awe,' sales forecasts surge

Comments

• Reply 41 of 134
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    They are still all off by a cool 10 million:

Repeating my previous posts the day it was presented:

40 mil = safe bet

50 mil = incredible... but still not surprised;

60 mil = possible... but only IF Apple can produce them... now THAT would rock any investor's socks... and hard!

Regardless: sold out through Jan. 2012... and then it starts all over again folks
  • Reply 42 of 134
    dishdish Posts: 64member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

My GF & I walked past the SoHo Apple Store on iPad2-Day. We were both a surprised that at least 75% of the people in line were Chinese... and it DID wrap around the block. We thought it was a bit weird, since most of the tourists in SoHo are plump middle-Americans.

They weren't really Chinese, it's just that people tend to see people in line for iPads as Chinese because of this massive media conspiracy that has us all brainwashed and confused. And anyways what does "Chinese" look like...did you see any passports? Oh and don't get me started on "middle-American" what the heck does that look like!?

<sarcasm...kind of>
  • Reply 43 of 134
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dish View Post

And anyways what does "Chinese" look like...did you see any passports?

They're Chinese alright. I am an expert at spotting and telling the difference between various Asian peoples.
  • Reply 44 of 134
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

They are still all off by a cool 10 million:

Repeating my previous posts the day it was presented:

40 mil = safe bet

50 mil = incredible... but still not surprised;

60 mil = possible... but only IF Apple can produce them... now THAT would rock any investor's socks... and hard!

Regardless: sold out through Jan. 2012... and then it starts all over again folks

40M x $600 = $24,000,000,000

50M x $600 = $30,000,000,000

60M x $600 = $36,000,000,000
    ?where $600 is the average sale price per unit.
    Seeing as how they sold 7.33M in Q1 2011 I think 40M is very doable, but will have to see what the first quarter sales and get info on potential production limitations before predicting more than that, since the production rate does appear to be the greatest limiting factor at this point.

I think we have all the signs of another iPod in market dominance and it?s possible the iPad will bring in more revenue and profit than the iPhone in couple years.
  • Reply 45 of 134
    recrec Posts: 217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

They're Chinese alright. I am an expert at spotting and telling the difference between various Asian peoples.

There probably isn't a thing Apple can do about it either, very frustrating. Units are being allocated and shipped to this market for people here, not overseas. Foreign resellers are taking units away from us.

Are these people even US citizens? Suppose they weren't, would Apple be in their right to require proof of a US address to sell to them (as in they need a license or state ID). Would this even curb the issue at all, or are the Chinese resellers already US citizens with ID?
  • Reply 46 of 134
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    It's clear from all of the reports I've read that Apple allocated 0 units to their online store from the initial UK shipment. Many people have been caught out by untrustworthy retailers indicating that they have stock when they don't (and charging people's credit cards straight away).

It's deeply frustrating
  • Reply 47 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by REC View Post

Are these people even US citizens? Suppose they weren't, would Apple be in their right to require proof of a US address to sell to them (as in they need a license or state ID). Would this even curb the issue at all, or are the Chinese resellers already US citizens with ID?

Even if they weren't, Apple doesn't have a policy to only sell to US citizens in the US. Many tourists come to the US and buy Apple products from Apple stores and then bring them back home when they leave.

Apple did have a credit card policy only last time, but they got rid of it after some bad publicity hit the news about some poor old woman who was unable to buy an iPad with her cash which she had saved up. At the very least, Apple should limit sales to 1 per customer or 1 per family for the first few months of a product launch as in demand as the iPad.
  • Reply 48 of 134
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by haruhiko View Post

Everyone needs a phone.

But not everyone needs a tablet.

The market is not enough for "trial and error" products like early Android phones.

It is likely that more than four billion people in the world cannot even afford a phone, more than a biilion may even have the romotest idea about phones because most of their time and efforts are so focused on just either finding food for each day. and many more just finding ways to feel secure.

But, I did get your analogy about the role of iPad and tablets in people's lives.

CGC
  • Reply 49 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Apple created their own Unicorn a spry power buck and they are riding that b**** all the way to the bank. On the other hand Google has caught something. Not a Unicorn but an effing 20 year old mare with a fu***** catenary as a spine.

Sorry fandroid!

Actually, Google thought they were being smart and they captured what they assumed was a young stallion. What they caught was actually Thumbilina.

Cute, but not nearly as useful as you would think.
  • Reply 50 of 134
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Because then I would have to reorder and wait another 4 weeks from that point. The whole thing is ridiculous.

Like I said, Apple had my money and put it back into my account. I recall them doing this with people after the iPhone 4 launch where people were having their orders mysteriously cancelled.

The whole thing is just ridiculous that Apple didn't set aside a unit specifically for you! How could they!?

Grow up for crying out loud.
  • Reply 51 of 134
    Quote:

Do tell. How can we profile someone and know they are Chinese and not, say, from Vietnam or Tiawan or Korea. Can you tell what province they are from by looking at them or their accent?
  • Reply 52 of 134
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

The whole thing is just ridiculous that Apple didn't set aside a unit specifically for you! How could they!?

Grow up for crying out loud.

Hey man, I don't know about you, but when I buy a new toy and have to wait on it, it sounds like a complete pain in the ass to have my money refunded and order cancelled without any explanation, and an additional wait.
  • Reply 53 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Do tell. How can we profile someone and know they are Chinese and not, say, from Vietnam or Tiawan or Korea. Can you tell what province they are from by looking at them or their accent?

It's a combination of various profiling techniques which comes naturally to me. None of the things in this list alone is enough to be certain, but when you add all of them together, it gives you a very good indicator as to where somebody is from.

(1) Facial features

(2) Clothes and identifying cultural items (such as a Chinese sack using traditional Chinese patterns)

(3) Language is usually a good give away. The Chinese guy standing on line next to me on the huge iPad line was not a scalper and he was able to translate for me in realtime some of the scalper's conversations. He was walking up and down the line, and most every scalper on that line was speaking Chinese. They all knew each other.

Even the Appleinsider article notes that they were speaking Mandarin and Cantonese. I'm not good enough to tell the difference between various Chinese dialects, but I have a good ear and I can tell the difference between somebody speaking Chinese or Japanese or Korean.

In the end, it all comes down to common sense and putting together easily available facts.
  • Reply 54 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Hey man, I don't know about you, but when I buy a new toy and have to wait on it, it sounds like a complete pain in the ass to have my money refunded and order cancelled without any explanation, and an additional wait.

It also sounds odd that a company that is actively shipping and selling these devices would take someone?s money, sit it on for a few weeks, and then decide to not ship them the item they are trying to sell but instead refund the money without any reason. Something doesn?t make sense.
  • Reply 55 of 134
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Quote:

It boggles the mind indeed to know that someone like Apple ][ can be an expert "at spotting and telling the difference between various Asian peoples" when we Asians even cannot do it ourselves all the time or most of the time.

I myself have been mistaken to be a Malaysian, Indonesian, Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese, Laotian from people of these races. I am not surprised how many Hispanics mistake me to be one also; but even some Italians (and this is in Italy itself). I was mistaken as one.

What I find amazing is that not too Caucassian Americans have ever mistaken me to be an American, which I happen to be also, apart from being Asian.

One very stupid American, who was there to sell me his religion, asked me first if I speak English. And, I answered; "I don't!} -- before closing the door.

CGC
  • Reply 56 of 134
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    With the high rate of demand worldwide, and the long lines greeting the arrival of iPad 2 everywhere, I wonder if there would be any buyers left for other competing tablets?

I wonder how Samsung, Motorola, HP and Research in Motion are feeling right now. Some of their products have not even seen the light of the day.
  • Reply 57 of 134
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

....People want choice and of course the people who love to heavily tinker will never get an iOS based product. Apple will lose ground and most likey not lead the tablet market in the very near future....

Because there are more people who like to tinker with their phones and tablets than those who don't? Not following your logic here...
  • Reply 58 of 134
    recrec Posts: 217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by haruhiko View Post

Everyone needs a phone.

But not everyone needs a tablet.

The market is not enough for "trial and error" products like early Android phones.

I find this to be a false statement/analogy, whatever.

To some people, perhaps many people, the iPad is a computer. It is a laptop replacement. It is a 'more than good enough' PC.

So to adjust your statement:

Not everyone needs a phone, but everyone needs a computer.

The growth potential on iPads, in the long term, is probably greater than ipods, iphones and macs.
  • Reply 59 of 134
    smeagolsmeagol Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Analysts who increase their estimated iPad shipments based on demand are clueless. Apple will sell 100% of what they make short of a manufacturing miracle. The sole determiner of iPads shipped in 2011 is how many iPads Apple can manufacture in 2011. If they have any observations on supply chains, increased build efficiency, or improved processes, THAT could lead to an increase in 2011 iPad estimates.

You said it. I totally agree.
  • Reply 60 of 134
    lcsedslcseds Posts: 14member
    Stopped by the local store yesterday. Gal in front said they had gotten 40 iPads that morning. 40. There are 18 models and people are allowed to buy 2. Hardly worth waiting in line with the scalpers and soccer moms with nothing else to do with their time. I have a job. So I am supposed to take vacation time to get one? I don't think so Apple. The gal said I could order on line and I'd have it "in ONLY 4 weeks!". She seemed excited she could help me out there....