Apple's iOS 5 rumored to have 'deep' voice command integration

Comments

• Reply 61 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

I can't speak for VR on a Mac as I have never tried it...but the voice recognition on my iPhone is awful.

Every couple of months I will test it, and it has never once worked correctly. Tell me, how in the world does "Play, Green Day" sound anything close to "Call, Ray Ramirez"? I mean the first clue should be it telling the difference between, "Call" and "Play". Why is this so difficult? It's useless.

Haha, maybe I am spoiled as an American with a "standard" Californian accent, but my iPhone usually understands me. I am going to Texas this weekend though, maybe I'll test it there, ya'll!
  • Reply 62 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

So one of the main feature in iOS 5 I won't use. Nice. No matter how good the voice integration is, I don't like talking to a computer.

It's a must for driving...at least in California it's LEGALLY a must.
  • Reply 63 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I have no idea how to spell this but here is an example form one part of England ... "Why mon, I divn't nah what yar talkin' aboot, and diven't hoy yor proddle on the doggy mat in mah hoos."

How man, divn't tak the piss oot the geet Geordie accent, or I'll stott yer!

When they demo this, let's hope this doesn't happen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y_Jp6PxsSQ
  • Reply 64 of 96
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

But Dragon doesn't get held to the same high standard that Apple would. It's a user installed app and not part of the core iOS. If it works well enough for you, fine, if not, no big deal.

I disagree. Dragon gets held to a higher standard than Apple because voice recognition is their specialty. It's all they do. Apple can mess up here and there, but Dragon doesn't dare be mediocre with their core business.
  • Reply 65 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

It's a must for driving...at least in California it's LEGALLY a must.

So's sticking below 65
  • Reply 66 of 96
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    Called it a while back.

Should be great for iTunes," I want some Beatles Greatest Hits."

Can't wait for the IBM 'Watson' app.
  • Reply 67 of 96
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

So's sticking below 65

Yeah I hate the way people drive in California. I always drive the speed limit. People intentionally try to cut me off to express their displeasure with my preference. When I'm in my Tahoe they do so at their own peril but when I'm driving my BMW they just look at me dumbfounded as to why someone with a BMW would be driving so crazy slow. Same idiots who ignore pedestrians in crosswalks, txt while driving, run red lights and never use their turn signals.
  • Reply 68 of 96
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by landoncube View Post

Options for Barry White (Whacking Day version) and issac Hayes (Chef Version) will be 99 cents.

Female versions will have Brenda Vaccaro, Bea Authur and Isabel Sanford.
  • Reply 69 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Is it only the black iPhones that will have deep voices?

The white iPhone will use Gilbert Gottfried.
  • Reply 70 of 96
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

I disagree. Dragon gets held to a higher standard than Apple because voice recognition is their specialty. It's all they do. Apple can mess up here and there, but Dragon doesn't dare be mediocre with their core business.

Nuance, the company that owns Dragon, does a lot more than just Dragon and a lot more than voice. They are billion dollar company with their fingers in a lot of pies. If you read their list of products on their site, you might not think they are solely focused on Dragon, let alone just on Dragon for the iPhone. It definitely is not all they do.
  • Reply 71 of 96
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

How many people have heard of Dragon?

How many have heard of Apple?
  • Reply 72 of 96
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Voice integration = big bag of hurt (in the ass). Never had any success with it at all. I also find it totally unnatural to speak to my computer.
  • Reply 73 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Yeah I hate the way people drive in California. I always drive the speed limit.

So you're the one!

</kidding!!>
  • Reply 74 of 96
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    IPHONE!

::Yes?::

PRON!

::Right away, sir::
  • Reply 75 of 96
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Voice integration = big bag of hurt (in the ass). Never had any success with it at all. I also find it totally unnatural to speak to my computer.

It takes some getting used to, and only works obviously in reasonably quiet environments. You're not gonna be able to bring up your favorite song by voice command driving down the road at 70mph with the windows down, for instance.

What I use voice for the most is the voice to text feature on my keyboard. Makes texting and driving a breeze, but sometimes the messages get mixed up. The other day it mixed sleeping with slurping. Interesting response to say the least.
  • Reply 76 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Must be designed for Brian Blessed "GORDON'S ALIVE!"

Bravo, sir! You gave me a laugh on a day I really needed one...

[goes back to work humming, "Flash! Ah-ahhhh!"]
  • Reply 77 of 96
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

So James Earl Jones will be one of the voices?

For the win!
  • Reply 78 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post

That's funny... when I say "Play Green Day", it responds back with "No, Green Day sucks". Then it deactivates itself as punishment to me for even asking.

Sides still hurting....
  • Reply 79 of 96
    scafe2scafe2 Posts: 61member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Given computer recognition currently falls way short of the human brain and most people can't understand them, it will certainly be the pinacle of computing science when a computer can understand all the English accents!

I have no idea how to spell this but here is an example form one part of England ... "Why mon, I divn't nah what yar talkin' aboot, and diven't hoy yor proddle on the doggy mat in mah hoos."

sounds like hill billy talk from the deep south to me!!
  • Reply 80 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

That's a good point. It does feel a bit weird to be "conversing" with an object (well, I talk with objects all the time, but that's because I'm weird. At least I don't hear them talking to me though. That's padded-room material). Though speech recognition has been available on the Mac since OS9, and has worked pretty well. But it's still not intuitive.

I personally am disappointed that Apple has abandoned their "Ink" technology in Mac OS X. Handwriting recognition would be more useful to me than speech recognition.