Continued lines for Apple's iPad 2 create 'shock and awe,' sales forecasts surge

Comments

• Reply 61 of 134
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Analysts who increase their estimated iPad shipments based on demand are clueless. Apple will sell 100% of what they make short of a manufacturing miracle. The sole determiner of iPads shipped in 2011 is how many iPads Apple can manufacture in 2011. If they have any observations on supply chains, increased build efficiency, or improved processes, THAT could lead to an increase in 2011 iPad estimates.

Correct.

The original iPad did not achieve full worldwide distribution. It was marketed to a subset of Apple's iPhone/iPod countries. There is plenty of growth in existing markets, and more growth in untapped markets.

Supply will be the limiting factor.
  • Reply 62 of 134
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It's a combination of various profiling techniques which comes naturally to me. None of the things in this list alone is enough to be certain, but when you add all of them together, it gives you a very good indicator as to where somebody is from.

(1) Facial features

(2) Clothes and identifying cultural items (such as a Chinese sack using traditional Chinese patterns)

(3) Language is usually a good give away. The Chinese guy standing on line next to me on the huge iPad line was not a scalper and he was able to translate for me in realtime some of the scalper's conversations. He was walking up and down the line, and most every scalper on that line was speaking Chinese. They all knew each other.

Even the Appleinsider article notes that they were speaking Mandarin and Cantonese. I'm not good enough to tell the difference between various Chinese dialects, but I have a good ear and I can tell the difference between somebody speaking Chinese or Japanese or Korean.

In the end, it all comes down to common sense and putting together easily available facts.

So, to test your expertise, who among these photos, taken from the internet, is a South Korean, Chinese, Hispanic, American, Vietnamese or of some other Asian nationality?

For every mistake you make, you will agree not to post here for a month,

and for every correct guess you make, I will not post here for a month

CGC
  • Reply 63 of 134
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

Wrong. Some Apple stores have had thousands of units in stock which were gone in mere hours. It's not like there's two iPads per store and Apple is intentionally holding back supply.

on launch day sure. But no store is likely to be getting thousands of units every day. And based on the dozens of articles etc, they are not. There are only perhaps 20 stores that could possibly hold that many and reports are that they are getting maybe 300-400 any given day if they get any. But most stores get perhaps 100 and then nothing for several days

And according to the various alleged insiders yes they are holding stock to a degree. Supposedly managers are told not to open shipments until the next day excluding Saturdays when they are to sell everything, screw anyone that comes on Sunday.

What I find shocking is that they haven't gone to the wait list system they used in the past. They could avoid pissy customers showing up and waiting for nothing. And they would hav a way to judge what models to ship to stores and not have folks buying whatever they can get and returning it later to get at they really want. And i'm sure the NYPD would love the end of the lines outside of 5th ave
  • Reply 64 of 134
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

For every post you stop making about this semi-racist, off-topic drivel, I'll thank both of you.
  • Reply 65 of 134
    Quote:

So, to test your expertise, who among these photos, taken from the internet, is a South Korean, Chinese, Hispanic, American, Vietnamese or of some other Asian nationality?

CGC

Oh for fuck's sake!

Actually... the mods probably want to see this game played out... [ if for nothing else to get rid of you guys for a while... they probably want me to play as well... ]
  • Reply 66 of 134
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

So, to test your expertise, who among this photos is a South Korean, Chinese, Hispanic, American, Vietnamese and American

[?]

For every mistake you make, you will agree not to post here for a month, and for every correct guess you make, I will not post here for a month

CGC

1. Filipino

2. Japanese-American

3. South Korean

4. Chinese

5. American

6. Vietnamese

• Reply 67 of 134
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

For every post you stop making about this semi-racist, off-topic drivel, I'll thank both of you.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Oh for fuck's sake!

Actually... the mods probably want to see this game played out...

It looks like we should hope he guesses 3 right and 3 wrong.
  • Reply 68 of 134
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

Oh for fuck's sake!

Actually... the mods probably want to see this game played out... [ if for nothing else to get rid of you guys for a while... they probably want me to play as well... ]

BAN ALL 5 OF THEM

racists

>>>>>

by 2015

Apple will sell 22 million IPADS4 and IPADS4 mini model A MONTH

Apple will also continue to sell IPAD3 AND APPLE 3G as classic cheaper models

for the 3 rd world crowd and or large schools // companies

just saying

• Reply 69 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

BAN ALL 5 OF THEM

racists

It?s impossible for me to be a racist because I don?t believe there are such things as races. We are all the same species and subspecies. Homo sapiens sapiens, a species so good you have to say it twice.
  • Reply 70 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by REC View Post

I find this to be a false statement/analogy, whatever.

To some people, perhaps many people, the iPad is a computer. It is a laptop replacement. It is a 'more than good enough' PC.

So to adjust your statement:

Not everyone needs a phone, but everyone needs a computer.

The growth potential on iPads, in the long term, is probably greater than ipods, iphones and macs.

"The growth potential on iPads, in the long term, is probably greater than ipods, iphones and macs" and PCs.
  • Reply 71 of 134
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

It is likely that more than four billion people in the world cannot even afford a phone, more than a biilion may even have the romotest idea about phones because most of their time and efforts are so focused on just either finding food for each day. and many more just finding ways to feel secure.

But, I did get your analogy about the role of iPad and tablets in people's lives.

CGC

Nonsense. Africa is a major market for mobile phones ( admittedly, mostly, cheap ones). China is huge and growing. Most of the rest of the world is middle income.
  • Reply 72 of 134
    Got my iPad 2 yesterday after ordering online. I do not see what the big deal is about ordering online and having to wait for a bit to get it. Frankly, it was not an issue for me, my life went on just fine not having the device.

Also, if someone orders and order gets cancelled "for no reason", call Apple. I have always found them to be very helpful and I would expect no different in this case. If the issue was on their end I would bet you get pushed to the front of the line. However, if the issue was on your end (credit card would not process, etc.), then stop whining.
  • Reply 73 of 134
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:

It's a combination of various profiling techniques which comes naturally to me. None of the things in this list alone is enough to be certain, but when you add all of them together, it gives you a very good indicator as to where somebody is from.

(1) Facial features

(2) Clothes and identifying cultural items (such as a Chinese sack using traditional Chinese patterns)

(3) Language is usually a good give away. The Chinese guy standing on line next to me on the huge iPad line was not a scalper and he was able to translate for me in realtime some of the scalper's conversations. He was walking up and down the line, and most every scalper on that line was speaking Chinese. They all knew each other.

Even the Appleinsider article notes that they were speaking Mandarin and Cantonese. I'm not good enough to tell the difference between various Chinese dialects, but I have a good ear and I can tell the difference between somebody speaking Chinese or Japanese or Korean.

In the end, it all comes down to common sense and putting together easily available facts.

and at the end of the day there is nothing to stop anyone, of any race or creed, lining up to buy an iPad. Just a question of how bad you want it.

I don't want it that bad, so I will wait.

Then again, there are countless available on eBay if you can't be bothered lining up. For about 200 bucks someone did that for you.
  • Reply 74 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post
    1. Filipino

2. Japanese-American

3. South Korean

4. Chinese

5. American

6. Vietnamese

That was intended for Apple ][, but let me know if you want to challenge yourself too, about guessing the nationalities, and would consider being bound by the bet.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

It looks like we should hope he guesses 3 right and 3 wrong.

Actually, if he just takes the time to reason out his choices, he could get 60-80% correct. There are bonus photos that should be so easy, so he should be able to get 1-3. so that he can save face.. But I am giving too many clues already.

This is actually a test to debunk some notion who seem so certain about eaces.

It would be a good reprieve for me NOT to post here actually, it is just too much distratction from what I should be doing.

Quote:

Oh for fuck's sake!

Well, it was a challenge to a single person, but since solipsism entered the fray, everyone is welcome to join the challenge.. I will take the one with the most correct answers as my "punishment".
  • Reply 75 of 134
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Do tell. How can we profile someone and know they are Chinese and not, say, from Vietnam or Tiawan or Korea. Can you tell what province they are from by looking at them or their accent?

There are 56 chinese ethnicities in addition to 14 ethnicities not officially recognized by the government and several more Taiwanese Aborigines. Almost all of them speak mutually unintelligible languages as well. I'm pretty sure no one can recognize them all.
  • Reply 76 of 134
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

There are 56 chinese ethnicities in addition to 14 ethnicities not officially recognized by the government and several more Taiwanese Aborigines. Almost all of them speak mutually unintelligible languages as well. I'm pretty sure no one can recognize them all.

Just had a Cliff Claven deja vu.
  • Reply 77 of 134
    Quote:

Very true, it's more like Europe in a different setting. And, because many "Chinese" have been lifetime residents in other countries, they influenced the racial bloods of almost every nation in Asia.

A scientist did a genotyping study of Asians and Native Indians of the Americas (not only the Native Americans of the US), and he found ancestral links between Indians and Norther Asians (specially the Mongols). The Mongols themselves have ruled China for centuries, including some of the golden years of Chinese domination.

CGC
  • Reply 78 of 134
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:

It's a combination of various profiling techniques which comes naturally to me.

Gruber links to an interesting story about Stanley Kubrick's unfinished movie about the Holocaust.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...an-papers.html

Too bad he's no longer with us, and working on it. You could have been a consultant on it.

Anyway REC and Dick Applebaum are right, and there will be an ongoing world shortage of iPads for the foreseeable. Better get used to it and stop with the ugly whining.
  • Reply 79 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Gruber links to an interesting story about Stanley Kubrick's unfinished movie about the Holocaust.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...an-papers.html

Too bad he's no longer with us, and working on it. You could have been a consultant on it.

Anyway REC and Dick Applebaum are right, and there will be an ongoing world shortage of iPads for the foreseeable. Better get used to it and stop with the ugly whining.

? https://twitter.com/sarahksilverman/...92684858970112
  • Reply 80 of 134
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

How about telling a han-chinese from an Irish man? Possible? Or a mere social construct. Am I seeing red-heads and freckles where there are none? Or is it the patriarchal bourgeois white-racial cash nexus dominant hegemony culture that makes me see any difference at all?