Amazon preempts Apple with cloud-based music service for Web and Android

Comments

• Reply 101 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kilimanjaro View Post

Yeah, but Amazon stole the thunder from Apple..

Apple has been successfully took our feet off the ground with its recent keynotes and products, I was really hoping that Apple would have been the first to pioneer this could-based service.. Now the credit will go to Amazon, damn you Amazon..

MobileMe through iDisk has this concept long before Amazon crafted theirs.

Amazon will still need devices/users to run their cloud initiative. Apple has millions of iOS users waiting in the wings that in a heartbeat would jump to MobileMe platform once the music streaming service gets enabled.

Don't worry Apple does EVERYTHING better. Just wait. Remember multi-tasking?
  • Reply 102 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmoeser View Post

They somehow seem to think that by agreeing to streaming music terms with another Apple competitor it will loosen Apple's "stranglehold" on their industry. It worked so well for them offering DRM free music once before...

What they have done is ensure that the whatever-million number of iOS users can't give them any money

How happy are the artists they "represent" with this decision?

Frankly, I don't care for streaming. All I want to be able to do is to access my music like I can access my Apps. If it's not on my device when I leave home, I can simply download it again as I have already paid for it

What really ticks me off about the deals the media companies make with Amazon is that they won't ever give Apple the same deal.

They've backed away from giving Apple streaming rights because they think people would abuse it, yet they give those rights to Amazon and some startups.

They won't give apple the rights to stream movies because they are afraid people would abuse them, but they give those rights to Netflix.

They won't give Apple the rights to let users keep an online vault of their music because they are afraid that people would abuse it, yet they give those rights to Amazon.

Also, Apple will probably *not* let you store music or movies in the cloud that you didn't purchase from them legally, but Amazon is somehow allowed to just let people put whatever the heck they want up there. Apple has built the most successful, respectable online music and movie service bar none, but the industry still treats them, and all the iTunes users like criminals while giving Amazon and their customers insider deals and special privileges.

It's such an obviously corrupt system it's just laughable.
  • Reply 103 of 129
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andykemp View Post

Of course Apple invented everything. Thanks for reminding us. I like how Apple Fanboys only go back far enough to give Apple the credit. Go back a little further and see who really pioneered it. Fanbois = Fail

Where did I say Apple "invented" it?

Had it and invented it are two different things.
  • Reply 104 of 129
    Am I the only one who thinks that the fact that you can't use this service on iOS has more to do with Apple than it does with Amazon? (Remember lala.com?)
  • Reply 105 of 129
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcgarza View Post

Am I the only one who thinks that the fact that you can't use this service on iOS has more to do with Apple than it does with Amazon? (Remember lala.com?)

For people outside the USA it's definitely due to Amazon.
  • Reply 106 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

For people outside the USA it's definitely due to Amazon.

I think any discussion of what's going on (or not) outside the USA is kind of moot at this stage, since this service isn't offered *at all* outside the USA as of today. I can't imagine why Amazon wouldn't want millions of iPod/iPhone users buying music from them...
  • Reply 107 of 129
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    Quote:

Yea, anything that the rest of the world does is Fscked up in a fanboys eyes. Quit drinking koolaid loser.

So you can't read?

Sorry fool.. Your mom needs you to come upstairs and take out the garbage.

Scoot along...
  • Reply 108 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

its more a joke than being emotionnal... if Amazon can allow its full services within safari they its Ok, but I dont see how you can saved data for offline used without an app. The rule on pricing and in app purchased by Apple are clearly an abuse of there monopoly, you are at a point where Apple wants to control pricing even outside there ecosystem. This cant be alllowed, but I am pretty sure the FTC is going to make a move on this pretty soon.

It's a streaming service, why would you need to save data to your mobile device for offline use?

As for the old news on subscription etc, as I've said before it's all about sideloading of apps not being allowed, if you allow sideloading just like Android, you can do whatever you want outside of Apple's App Store. I doubt Amazon would do it but Amazon could currently just load an app to Cydia and call it a day.
  • Reply 109 of 129
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcgarza View Post

1) You?re saying that Amazon was unable to create a native app like they did for Android?

2) I?ve tested the web player in Safari on Mac with iOS user agents, it plays fine. I?ve tested in on an iPhone in Mobile Safari, Atomic Browser with non iOS user agents, and Cloud Browse, a server-side browser.

The only method for getting my music to play through Amazon?s locker was via a server-side browser. I do not think this is because of Flash or Java (though Flash is required for uploading files from a desktop browser) but from some other issue with standard webcode.
  • Reply 110 of 129
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

It's a streaming service, why would you need to save data to your mobile device for offline use?

As for the old news on subscription etc, as I've said before it's all about sideloading of apps not being allowed, if you allow sideloading just like Android, you can do whatever you want outside of Apple's App Store. I doubt Amazon would do it but Amazon could currently just load an app to Cydia and call it a day.

Are you saying that Amazon tried to get an App Store app approved but was denied?
  • Reply 111 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRR View Post

So you can't read?

Sorry fool.. Your mom needs you to come upstairs and take out the garbage.

Scoot along...

Doesn't look like you took the time to read it either from what you said in your original post. Hypocrite! Now go crawl back under your rock troll.
  • Reply 112 of 129
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    One of the things that easy to overlook about Amazon is their ability to advertise their own products on their site VERY prominently. Apple has to pay millions (billions?) on ad buys while Amazon gets millions of free eyeballs every day hitting their home page. Anything Amazon releases and feature on their home page with a "letter" from Bezos gains instant mind-share and credibility. That'll make them a tough competitor.
  • Reply 113 of 129
    I'm not so sure I am ready for this.. so how is a 'normal' consumer going to feel about all this?

They would need an app which comes down from their site (seamlessly) copies all your stuff up to the cloud. iTunes-ifies it. (tags etc>). Then it would need to be loaded on your device, logged in, and somehow weaning you off of your iPod/iPad/iPhone apps for media.

That's a tall order for a company who has no desktop application presence. (for either platform)

Minimal mobile device presence, and no mindshare.

Amazon is book store. Everyone knows that. You buy media and crap from them. To re-invent themselves they'd need a trojan horse like iTunes. iPod etc. I don't see this happening.

Niche service, niche crowd, no profitability, rampant abuse.

If I were playing that hand of cards, I'd fold.
  • Reply 114 of 129
    awmawmawmawm Posts: 67member
    Yuppie, cloud-based service! Perfectly aligned with AT&T's decision to cap their DSL/Uverse service...
  • Reply 115 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Not Unlike Myself View Post

I'm not so sure I am ready for this.. so how is a 'normal' consumer going to feel about all this?

They would need an app which comes down from their site (seamlessly) copies all your stuff up to the cloud. iTunes-ifies it. (tags etc>). Then it would need to be loaded on your device, logged in, and somehow weaning you off of your iPod/iPad/iPhone apps for media.

That's a tall order for a company who has no desktop application presence. (for either platform)

Minimal mobile device presence, and no mindshare.

Amazon is book store. Everyone knows that. You buy media and crap from them. To re-invent themselves they'd need a trojan horse like iTunes. iPod etc. I don't see this happening.

Niche service, niche crowd, no profitability, rampant abuse.

If I were playing that hand of cards, I'd fold.

You're kidding right. Amazon is just a book store. That's kind of funny. What Amazon brings to the table is a rather simple way to upload your content (yes there's an android app for that), including your existing playlists and put it on the cloud, all in essentially one step. Even easier is that when you buy an MP3 from them, you can have it automatically put it in your locker AND download it to your device. It's simple and it's easy. No Geek degree necessary.

Consumers have for a long time considered Amazon as something more than just a book store.
  • Reply 116 of 129
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    Quote:

Doesn't look like you took the time to read it either from what you said in your original post. Hypocrite! Now go crawl back under your rock troll.

But I did. And I have mad reading comprehension. You come off mentally challenged as it is....

Poor guy..
  • Reply 117 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rigelian View Post

You're kidding right. Amazon is just a book store. That's kind of funny. What Amazon brings to the table is a rather simple way to upload your content (yes there's an android app for that), including your existing playlists and put it on the cloud, all in essentially one step. Even easier is that when you buy an MP3 from them, you can have it automatically put it in your locker AND download it to your device. It's simple and it's easy. No Geek degree necessary.

Consumers have for a long time considered Amazon as something more than just a book store.

No, not kidding at all. I may not be a super-mover-and shaker but I'm no digital slouch. I don't know of a single person (in my workplace, family, or friends) which use amazon for any of these things. Amazon's reputation in the eyes of 90% of consumers is an online version of MediaPlay. Their server leasing business, cloud service and electronic marketplace is still a niche product.

And for no geek degree.. not so sure. If you are an iOS user.. you aren't even a target customer. My own android phone has never seen a single online media purchase. I still sync it with a PC based library (raided from my Mac). Not saying there aren't users of these services.. but mainstream people who buy iPod for their kids and MacBooks when they go to college are NOT presently associating Amazon with this. Also not saying they 'never' will but that at present, they are not.
  • Reply 118 of 129
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

I don't agree with your comments. If Apple are delaying their entry to the "cloud" its for a good reason, while others go running in without looking ahead. Akin to a swimmer diving into a river that they have never swum in before, beware of trees and rocks etc.

Apple building the NC data centre is not to store tobacco from the NC harvest, its there for a reason. Its like a jigsaw puzzle, just wait and see how Apple slots all the pieces together, in the correct manner, unlike it's clueless competitors.

I don't disagree with this as an eventuality, let's see what they come up with, and it better be soon, and then we can talk.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Right...

Apple has invested millions in this project precisely because they intend to 'sit on their asses', and are totally clueless.

Or, maybe its because they intend to launch successfully and are taking whatever time is necessary to assure that, instead of launching to glitches and the inevitable barrage of criticism.

hmmm?

you know what I am talking about, don't misconstrue what I said. They have indeed been sitting on their asses with both mm and lala, products that on one hand have failed to really evolved (the former) and others that have failed to find a place in apple's strategy (the latter). If anyone can claim any area of apple these days that is lagging wrt their other areas of interest, that is the cloud and wireless syncing. Apple is incomparable in the tech in so many areas, but this one, where they are, at best pricy and average.
  • Reply 119 of 129
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tlevier View Post

Amazon in the span of 2 months has become the #1 competitor to Apple's business model. They've completely hijacked Android away from Google. It's phenomenal to watch.

Amazon has become Android's iTunes / Appstore. Amazing. The transition isn't complete yet, but with millions of credit cards on file with Amazon, and Amazon selling books, music, newspapers, applications, cloud storage service, etc... Google has just overcome a major hurdle and competitive advantage that Apple once held by themselves.

I'm not sure of the direction that Microsoft, RIM, and HP will have to compensate in this area, but I'm sure Amazon might look for ways of bringing those platforms under their marketplace umbrella. (Though they should try to perfect the Android side of things first before they expand.)

excellent post, very perceptive. Amazon has indeed made a very sharp positioning of it's services with their android placement. But I don't think this means power to google necessarily, it just means extra effort for apple who now faces competitors who are either aligned (google and "google's" manufacturers of hardware) or symbiotic (amazon and google). Apple has the upper hand here, but in the coming months they need to do 1,2,3 strategic moves to assure it for the coming few years. It' ll be fun to watch.
  • Reply 120 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Not Unlike Myself View Post

No, not kidding at all. I may not be a super-mover-and shaker but I'm no digital slouch. I don't know of a single person (in my workplace, family, or friends) which use amazon for any of these things. Amazon's reputation in the eyes of 90% of consumers is an online version of MediaPlay. Their server leasing business, cloud service and electronic marketplace is still a niche product.

And for no geek degree.. not so sure. If you are an iOS user.. you aren't even a target customer. My own android phone has never seen a single online media purchase. I still sync it with a PC based library (raided from my Mac). Not saying there aren't users of these services.. but mainstream people who buy iPod for their kids and MacBooks when they go to college are NOT presently associating Amazon with this. Also not saying they 'never' will but that at present, they are not.

That's funny. I don't know anyone who doesn't. I don't work in the tech industry, my place of work consists primarily of 40 and 50 somethings. Most of the people are more technically sophisticated than the typical users, who use Amazon for almost everything. Electronics, music etc. I don't think most people would give a second thought to purchasing things from Amazon.

It's going to be well marketed because, when people go to buy other things the digital storage store will be out in front of them. Then there are all of those people using Android where this is a rather natural fit. By the way I'm a former IOS user. I am still a Mac OS X user.