Continued lines for Apple's iPad 2 create 'shock and awe,' sales forecasts surge

Comments

• Reply 81 of 134
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    @ solipsism: That would be the Barbara Walters pronunciation?
  • Reply 82 of 134
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    I am shocked, and awed. This thread wins the Drift Prize for 2011, and it's only March.
  • Reply 83 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Wrong. Some Apple stores have had thousands of units in stock which were gone in mere hours. It's not like there's two iPads per store and Apple is intentionally holding back supply.

The iPad is sold out all over the world. From the USA, to Germany, to Australia, to New Zealand, to the UK, damn near everywhere.

Canada too.
  • Reply 84 of 134
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

How about telling a han-chinese from an Irish man? Possible? Or a mere social construct. Am I seeing red-heads and freckles where there are none? Or is it the patriarchal bourgeois white-racial cash nexus dominant hegemony culture that makes me see any difference at all?

First we have to define what is Chinese and what is Irish. We can say that there are no Chinese that are born with red hair, and we can say it?s not common in Ireland for someone whose ancestors have a long history in China to be born and raised in Ireland, but we can?t say that it?s not possible.

PS: There are snakes in Ireland. I?ve seen them at a reptile soon.

PPS: Have you heard the hypothesis that the redhead gene comes from Neanderthal, which successfully interbred with Homo sapiens sapiens as a subspecies?
  • Reply 85 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I am shocked, and awed. This thread wins the Drift Prize for 2011, and it's only March.

There is a lot more shock and aw, than shock and awe in this thread.
  • Reply 86 of 134
    I live two blocks away from Chicago's Lincoln Park apple store.

the stock is so low and totally manipulated...

Everyday there is a line but at most you see 20-40 ipads delivered....

The lines are just consumer manipulation by Apple. It will kick them back and hopelly soon.
  • Reply 87 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

How about telling a han-chinese from an Irish man? Possible? Or a mere social construct. Am I seeing red-heads and freckles where there are none? Or is it the patriarchal bourgeois white-racial cash nexus dominant hegemony culture that makes me see any difference at all?

Actually, you may be satirizing your own ignorance, I can't tell. Institutionalized racism does seem to have appeared with the Indo-Europeans, e.g,, the Aryan branch setting up the caste system after invading India, slavery in Greece and Rome, etc. Came in with patriarchy, incessant warfare and the dividing of the world into dualisms: good and evil, light and dark, us and them, roughly 2000 BCE.

But the spread of knowledge now possible, with everybody having a connected computer with them all the time, may mitigate against ignorance of this history.

Edit: Aw, shucks. (Trying to stay on topic.)
  • Reply 88 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wildpuntano View Post

The lines are just consumer manipulation by Apple. It will kick them back and hopelly soon.

What does that mean?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Actually, you may be satirizing your own ignorance, I can't tell. Institutionalized racism does seem to have appeared with the Indo-Europeans, e.g,, the Aryan branch setting up the caste system after invading India, slavery in Greece and Rome, etc. Came in with patriarchy, incessant warfare and the dividing of the world into dualisms: good and evil, light and dark, us and them, roughly 2000 BCE.

But the spread of knowledge now possible, with everybody having a connected computer with them all the time, may mitigate against ignorance of this history.

So it will be the knoweldgable v. the unknowledgable like it?s always been?
  • Reply 89 of 134
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wildpuntano View Post

I live two blocks away from Chicago's Lincoln Park apple store.

the stock is so low and totally manipulated...

Everyday there is a line but at most you see 20-40 ipads delivered....

Crafty Apple. Selling fewer iPads then they could, irritating their customers. Profit!
  • Reply 90 of 134
    naboozlenaboozle Posts: 213member
    But wait!

I thought the alpha geeks told us "It's just an oversized iPod Touch"!

Lol.
  • Reply 91 of 134
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Actually what he was implying is how much of a d|ck he is.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I am not sure as to what you are attempting to imply. Why would his changed perspective bring me any joy?

I am joyful because I got my iPad today, finally! Other people's perspectives do not give me any joy, one way or the other.

• Reply 92 of 134
    quoting Dick's signature line:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

There's this girl who sells batteries at the beach:

"She sells C cells at the sea shore"

Ha! A quick sobriety test:

I'n not the pheasant plucker,

I'm the pheasant plucker's son.

I'm only plucking pheasants

Til the pheasant plucker comes.

So there!
  • Reply 93 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So it will be the knoweldgable v. the unknowledgable like it’s always been?

Guess so, but the ratios change: the Enlightenment, Reformation, scientific revolution, then a couple of steps backward in the 20th century, then a little step forward in the middle 1960s, then another step backward starting in 1968, and now a huge step forward because we finally know the source of ignorance. That's off-topic, but it's kind of like a lack of iPads.

'The medium is the message' is the formula.

Edit: knowledge vs. ignorance ain't one of the dualisms, if that's what you're suggesting.
  • Reply 94 of 134
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Don't be fooled. Android will absolutely gain market share. With so many devices coming out, people will flock to them the same they flocked to handsets.

Not if they can't get a roughly equal product (e.g. screen size of nearly 10 inches, not 7) for roughly the same price on the low end (e.g. $500 not $600). You have to be an Apple hater or really REALLY want a tablet in a bad way to go with anything but iPad right now. Otherwise, order the real deal and wait a bit.

Quote:

... and of course the people who love to heavily tinker will never get an iOS based product.

You just identified about 5% of the population, but tablets are going to go mainstream within the next year. Unless Android tablets can compete on price & quality (and even then, assuming the fragmentation doesn't destroy the overall experience) then you can forget about the same thing happening in tablets as with handsets. Handsets have the distinction of being subsidized and the driving factor that virtually everyone feels they need to carry a handset. (Not so with tablets, on either account. People will wait for the tablet that gives them the best bang for the buck.)

Quote:

Apple will lose ground and most likey not lead the tablet market in the very near future.

Well, this one might go more like the iPod, another unsubsidized, unnecessary device.

Quote:

That doesn't change the fact that the iPad will continue to offer the best experience and best ecosystem. As for me, no tablets for me.

Well then you're a curious one to opine what kinds of things tablet shoppers will be wanting, aren't you?

Thompson
  • Reply 95 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

PPS: Have you heard the hypothesis that the redhead gene comes from Neanderthal, which successfully interbred with Homo sapiens sapiens as a subspecies?

I assume you're not "profiling" Homo sapiens neanderthalensis as an inferior subspecies?

An interesting supposition; I just googled "redhead neanderthal" and found some interesting reads in that direction. Thanks for tickling my brain, Soli.
  • Reply 96 of 134
    Quote:

"Continued lines for Apple's iPad 2 create 'shock and awe,' sales forecasts surge"

Now think what Apple's sales would be if only they had enough product.

People go crazy over what they know they cannot have, and IMO we're seeing a repeat of the 1980's Cabbage Patch doll craze. Imagine if every place that carried the iPad was well-stocked, and every customer could walk away with as many as they wanted. It'd certainly take a bite out of the buzz.

Yes the iPad 2 may be good. But good enough to stand in line daily, with hopes of getting one that trickled in? Things are getting carried away here.
  • Reply 97 of 134
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

Seriously, though, it will be interesting to see if high-end Android tablets repeat the same gains that happened in the high-end smart phone market.

To clarify, I don't think that Android HAS made massive gains in the HIGH-END smart phone market. All of the Galaxy S models last year combined to sell 10M, HTC EVOs, Incredibles and Nexus' don't sell in the many millions, nor do Droid Xs Atrixes and Bionics. If they did, we'd know about it. They'd be crowing it from the rooftops. Combined, they are all dwarfed by the 30M iphone 4s sold in 2Qs last year and what it will sell this year (probably 90-100M between iP4 and 4GS/5). The high end is still dominated by Apple which is why it can corral 50% of the phone industry profit.

The high-end is where the fandroid nerds look and point, but the bargain bucket and China is where the bulk of the units are really shipped.
  • Reply 98 of 134
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

So, to test your expertise, who among these photos, taken from the internet, is a South Korean, Chinese, Hispanic, American, Vietnamese or of some other Asian nationality?

/snip/

For every mistake you make, you will agree not to post here for a month,

and for every correct guess you make, I will not post here for a month

CGC

The guy made clear that he relied on a lot more than just a snapshot. I may not necessarily agree with him, but your test is lame and only proves you are rushing to judgment.

Thompson
  • Reply 99 of 134
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

It is likely that more than four billion people in the world cannot even afford a phone, more than a biilion may even have the romotest idea about phones because most of their time and efforts are so focused on just either finding food for each day. and many more just finding ways to feel secure.

But, I did get your analogy about the role of iPad and tablets in people's lives.

CGC

It's the inverse...

http://trendsupdates.com/5-billion-c...-2010-un-says/

5 Billion have phones, 1.5Bn don't. Doesn't really change your point about the position of the tablet on the hierarchy of needs, but phones appear to be right up there.
  • Reply 100 of 134
    inkswampinkswamp Posts: 337member
    Shock and awww @#$%*! They're sold out again!