Apple's iOS 5 rumored to have 'deep' voice command integration

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 96
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

So James Earl Jones will be one of the voices?

Maybe Barry White. "Heyy Babeh. I command you to slip into something more comfortable."
  • Reply 82 of 96
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Nuance, the company that owns Dragon, does a lot more than just Dragon and a lot more than voice. They are billion dollar company with their fingers in a lot of pies. If you read their list of products on their site, you might not think they are solely focused on Dragon, let alone just on Dragon for the iPhone. It definitely is not all they do.

Nobody's saying Dragon on iOS is all they do. But the Dragon specialty is speech recognition, plain and simple. Mention speech recognition for computers and everyone will think of Dragon. That's why Macspeech chose the Dragon engine a couple of years ago, because there is essentially no other choice. Regardless of what else Nuance does, when you mention Dragon for PCs, people immediately think of speech recognition. That's the brand, and if Dragon on any platform messes up speech recognition, it gives the entire product line a black eye. It would be like Apple putting out an iPhone that doesn't work well. We all know how much of an outcry there is every time any little flaw like the "grip of death" is discovered on an iPhone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

How many people have heard of Dragon?

How many have heard of Apple?

We're talking about speech recognition here. In that field, basically everyone has heard of Dragon and nobody thinks seriously about Apple, which has essentially abandoned the field for many years.
  • Reply 83 of 96
    I wonder if iOS 5 will be able to handle Scottish accents?
  • Reply 84 of 96
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

Female versions will have Brenda Vaccaro, Bea Authur and Isabel Sanford.

I'm holding out for the Ma Rainy model.
  • Reply 85 of 96
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

I wonder if iOS 5 will be able to handle Scottish accents?

LOL Now I need to watch that series. Damn you!

And I raise you this classic skit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz2-ukrd2VQ
  • Reply 86 of 96
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Having said that, no doubt there will be those that have to walk around talking LOUDLY to there phones as if this impresses everyone around them. How often sitting in airports have I had day dreams of owning a ray-gun that vaporizes such people!

Something Duran Duran uses in Barbarella?
  • Reply 87 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dish View Post

yeah, if it's anything like Googles recognition it will be amazing. 2 days ago I was speaking a text message on an android phone, I started speaking and then my friend standing next to me cut me off and started talking but it managed to perfectly recognize both his and my sentence....thats the only thing I like about Android...though I have the Google app on my iPad and it works just as well as it does on the Android phone.

Yeah just like when you make 4 phone calls and you have to recharge the phone.

What a train wreck.

These candy floss crap do not impress me at all.
  • Reply 88 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOEW View Post

Most of these posts prove that Google did it very well before Apple could even consider it. It's also vaporware from Apple, they need this to perform flawlessly, and they need native GPS/NAV on the IP5 or else it's going to flop.

Apple does not do vapour ware fool, do you know what it is in the first place ?

Now run along to mom's basement she has made you some cookies and milk.
  • Reply 89 of 96
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Maybe they could make cars that would deactivate texting on the phone once paired up with BT? That way the passenger could still txt.

I think it might be easier and more effective if the phone ceased it's texting function while in motion, or if it is paired with Bluetooth car in motion.

I was almost run off the road yesterday by some idiot kid texting while driving down a dangerous hill. He nearly hit two other vehicles. I honked at him and he was still completely in his own world. I'd take his license away if I was his parent.
  • Reply 90 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I think it might be easier and more effective if the phone ceased it's texting function while in motion, or if it is paired with Bluetooth car in motion.

I was almost run off the road yesterday by some idiot kid texting while driving down a dangerous hill. He nearly hit two other vehicles. I honked at him and he was still completely in his own world. I'd take his license away if I was his parent.

That gives me an idea. You know how there are breathalyzers tied to cars ignition switches? What about a phone a car that puts a phone in Airplane mode when operating or somehow kills the cell signal in the vicinity of the driver?s area. I have no idea how this would work, it?s just an idea, but the law doesn?t seem to be enough.
  • Reply 91 of 96
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    I've been considering switching to the Nexus S because of the deep voice integration. For those of you that aren't familiar, here's the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIZ56bIfWzI

As a road warrior, these kind of features would help me immensely. If Apple's going to catch up (or hopefully surpass) with IOS5, then I'll be a happy camper.
  • Reply 92 of 96
    Quote:

So James Earl Jones will be one of the voices?

By DEEP VOICE integration, I think it merely means that we won't be getting anyone with a high pitched voice. http://forums.appleinsider.com/image...s/1biggrin.gif
  • Reply 93 of 96
    My guess is that Apple have solved the issue of voice recognition with regards to "background sound interference" -- otherwise, Jobs would not be making it a `standard on this device (he has been down this road before).

I'm guessing that's the reason for more than one Mic -- it's the same reason the XBox kinect has more than one mic and one camera. By processing the LOCATION of the speaker, you can keep only that sound and filter out the sounds coming from other locations.

Think of this as a "portable Green screen" for sound. The location of the sound source, will be used to prevent mistakes and will likely also help make phone conversations easier to understand.

... we have the technology folks -- I think it's just being implemented.
  • Reply 94 of 96
    5macs5macs Posts: 1member
    Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to get my 2 cents in. Based on the reports of nuance and the voicecontrol. I don't buy it. I think the new datacenter and the Nuance partnership is to make the Iphone 5 a universal translator. Why? because Voice Control sucks as an interface other than hands free dialling. I believe i also read that someone from either Apple or Nuance said that they weren't doing total voice control and last Jobs is a Star Trek Fan! It's coming and that is my prediction. This is much more in line with what Apple would do. Imaging calling Japan and speaking english but the other caller hears Japanese.

Thoughts?

Peter d'Entremont
  • Reply 96 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 5macs View Post

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to get my 2 cents in. Based on the reports of nuance and the voicecontrol. I don't buy it. I think the new datacenter and the Nuance partnership is to make the Iphone 5 a universal translator. Why? because Voice Control sucks as an interface other than hands free dialling. I believe i also read that someone from either Apple or Nuance said that they weren't doing total voice control and last Jobs is a Star Trek Fan! It's coming and that is my prediction. This is much more in line with what Apple would do. Imaging calling Japan and speaking english but the other caller hears Japanese.

Thoughts?

Peter d'Entremont

That's an interesting thought, but I can't help but woder what IP and experience Apple has with such translation. I'd think Goolge would be more poised to achieve this considering they already have Google Translate and have a unimaginable database or Internet trends to create proper matches for spoken homonyms which could drastically alter a sentence's meaning.

Welcome to the forum.