Dell previews conceptual tablet running Windows 7

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

And with a real keyboard hinged to it we can all get back to laptops the way god intended.

Some people need a tablet to do more than just collect Eggs and play Angry Birds.

Can you do your taxes on your iPad without using Safari?
  • Reply 42 of 54
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

And with a real keyboard hinged to it we can all get back to laptops the way god intended.

You actually obviously bought Steve's spiel that laptops are trucks?

And blu-ray is a bag of hurt, and a white iPhone will be out in July 2010?
  • Reply 43 of 54
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

I disagree. Dell is trying to stop the bleeding caused by uptake by companies of the iPad and other iOS devices. Since corporate kit is the largest chunk of their market, they can't afford to let the iPad threat go unchallenged. The problem is, a majority of Fortune 100 companies and all of the Fortune 50 companies have programs in place to develop and platform for the iPad and iPhone. They are late to market with this, thinking that their stop-gap devices like the Streaks, would slow down Apple's popularity in the rebirthed tablet category long enough to get a decent Android version (sans Dells' UI overlay) into them and into the market. They are vainly hoping that IT managers will opt for familiarity (which isn't really there for Windows 7 with touch GUI overlay on a mobile device anyway) over popularity. If the IT managers rule, then this might work, but most companies I know it's the executives that override the IT manager and the IT manager is tasked with adapting to their wants, needs and desires.

That may be true, but its a demonstrably failed product.

Supposedly only 5000 HP slates sold. Maybe that number is inaccurate but I've never seen one in the wild, have you? How is this going to be any different?

I wouldn't be surprised if Intel are paying Dell money to develop this. Intel are the ones also trying to stop the bleeding as ARM are monopolizing the mobile cpu space category.
  • Reply 44 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

Well, Turbo Tax SnapTax is available in the App Store. So, I'd say, yes you can do your taxes on your iPad without using Safari.
  • Reply 44 of 54
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

That doesn't make any sense.

Of course not. A failure is a failure. Dell knows that it has a turkey. It should not pretend that it actually wants a turkey rather than a peacock.
  • Reply 46 of 54
    I could also have very easily come up with a non-working prototype.

I must be in the wrong line of work.
  • Reply 47 of 54
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... Named the Windows 7 Business Tablet ...

More proof that Microsoft has given up on the consumer pad computing market. The only way they can ship tablets with Windows crammed into them is to give them away to corporate IT. That's right. Give them away. Many computer companies have and will do free product deals with high-profile clients. Just so they can say "Famous Brand X uses our computers."

The corporate market is low-hanging fruit for Microsoft. User expectations are already extremely low, and they have no choice. Microsoft Office users hate it but use it because that's what their IT group gives them. Their way or the highway.

Things are much harder in the consumer market. You can't force consumers to do anything. They're not a captive audience. You need to pull them in. Apple attracts and keeps customers with superior hardware, software, and infrastructure. Which all add up to a superior user experience. And that is all completely out of Microsoft's reach.

Windows pads have sold poorly for 10 years. Especially in the consumer market. Microsoft and Dell know this, they've given up, and they're trying to save face now. To make it look like they are still relevant in some way.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... "we have 30 years in which the PC has proven to be able to adapt itself to the environment," adding, that "rumors of the death of the PC have been greatly exaggerated."

Looking back to the glory days. Sure, the Wintel pee cee market is profitable now. But by clinging to the past, you're unable to move into the future. According to IDC, smartphone sales exceeded traditional pee cee sales in Q4 last year. Times change.
  • Reply 48 of 54
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

Some people need a tablet to do more than just collect Eggs and play Angry Birds.

What a foolish statement!

First, as someone else pointed out, there IS tax software for iPads.

More importantly, you're playing a silly game: "sure, you can do it, but you aren't doing it the way I think you should do it, so it doesn't count".

If you can do taxes via a browser, who cares that you have to use a browser rather than a different app?
  • Reply 49 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Of course not. A failure is a failure. Dell knows that it has a turkey. It should not pretend that it actually wants a turkey rather than a peacock.

That doesn't make any sense either! I don't think we're talking about the same thing.
  • Reply 50 of 54
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

That doesn't make any sense either! I don't think we're talking about the same thing.

Ask a specific question and I will explain it to you--slowly, if necessary.
  • Reply 51 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Ask a specific question and I will explain it to you--slowly, if necessary.

Wow, aren't you a charming fellow!

You don't need to explain anything as we're talking about two different things.

I'm saying it's a niche product and Dell wouldn't expect it to be anything but a niche product. I actually don't think this thing will even directly compete with the iPad (if it ever gets released).

You're just saying that it's a Dell piece of crap. That's not really a response to my comment, it's just a statement of your opinion. You could have easily written the same thing without even responding to me.

That's what didn't make sense in the context of reading your reply as a reply, rather than a standalone statement of opinion.

It's like me saying turkey is a niche product that sells more during the holidays, but not as well throughout the year and someone responding with "turkey is shit".

I support your right to your own opinion, but it's not really relevant in my current conversation.
  • Reply 52 of 54
    Named the Windows 7 Business Tablet (rather than using the Dell Streak brand), the product concept is short on specifics apart from needing to use an Intel processor. Last month, Microsoft announced plans to port Windows 7 to the ARM architecture used by Apple's iPad, but said this would take at least two years to deliver. Dell hopes to bring the concept to market "sometime later this year," according to the report.

Steven Lalla, Dell's vice president of its commercial client product group, said that "businesses want Windows because it fits into the IT management scheme," before qualifying that with, "not to say Android doesn't."

For those who don't need Windows to fit into the IT management scheme, Dell will offer the same hardware running Android, an interesting choice given that so far, most Android tablets are built around ARM devices like the iPad.
  • Reply 53 of 54
    Apple itself was believed to be evaluating Intel's Atom mobile chips back in late 2007, before deciding to design its own A4 SoC used in the iPad. Apple has also touted that most businesses in the Fortune 500 have been eager to fit the iPad into their IT management schemes.

At the Dell event, Intel appeared to contradict evidence that the PC market was going mobile, with Rick Echevarria, vice president of Intel's Architecture Group, maintaining "we have 30 years in which the PC has proven to be able to adapt itself to the environment," adding, that "rumors of the death of the PC have been greatly exaggerated."
  • Reply 54 of 54
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by canucklehead View Post

Why bother? Not only are you late to the game but you show up with a non-functional prototype?

If someone builds a flash based device that can also run usenet and torrent progeria, I think there could be a huge upsell. However, this all depends on battery life.