Dell, HP execs lash out at Apple's iOS successes

Comments

• Reply 141 of 232
    All I can say is "Andy here's your problem"

In December, Journalist Walt Mossberg called out the device as last year's worst-reviewed product.

d
  • Reply 142 of 232
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Let's see:

iPad $829 (buy the most expensive one, give him the benefit of the doubt)

case $60

keyboard $80

mouse $80

Total:$1,049

Pay someone to modify an existing app to use a mouse: $500

Total: $1,500-$1,600

There you have it.
  • Reply 143 of 232
    2 cents2 cents Posts: 307member
    Is this an early April's Fool joke?
  • Reply 144 of 232
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

Is this an early April's Fool joke?

We'll find out when the markets open...
  • Reply 145 of 232
    lmaclmac Posts: 206member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

According to Lark, the high cost of additional accessories for the iPad makes the tablet inaccessible. ?An iPad with a keyboard, a mouse and a case [means] you?ll be at $1500 or $1600; that?s double of what you?re paying," he said. "That?s not feasible.?

I rarely use a keyboard but who, exactly, uses a mouse with a tablet? Has that Dell guy ever touched one?
  • Reply 146 of 232
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Was worth the shot.
  • Reply 147 of 232
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

I agree with you.

When I am on call I bring a dell laptop home, it takes 5 min 11 secs to boot up, I know because I timed it on my iPhone stop watch. t takes only a couple of minutes less to turn it off.

My MBP takes about 40 secs and my G4 (about 10 years old) takes about 20 secs on average.

The dell is a plastic piece of SHIT, it is not even worth driving a huge truck over it.

Its disgusting, how any one can make, sell and buy this utter garbage is beyond me, but good luck to them. Don't complain later on with the shitty experience.

Wow, 5 minutes to boot up is unreal. My 2 year old dell laptop with a ssd and windows 7 only takes 18-19 seconds on average to boot up( 12 seconds to complete the post and 6-7 seconds to load windows). Even at 18 seconds it's too slow for me, so I just use sleep mode instead cause that only takes about 3 seconds to resume from sleep. I do agree that the plastic casing looks cheap, but it sure is durable.
  • Reply 148 of 232
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    This guy from Dell is out to lunch. How embarrassing.

HP is absolutely right about Apple being a lousy channel partner, but that's no guarantee that WebOS tablets will be successful. At this moment I don't see any actual shipping product from them.
  • Reply 149 of 232
    crift2012crift2012 Posts: 124member
    did that Tablet he was holding up have a trash can and CD Icon?

I mean wow...How much fail is that if you have to a trashcan to delete files? The craziest thought is there actually going to be a "desktop" on these things?

"The iPad will fail? "

I think that statement you might have been able to get away last year before the iPad came out. Now? They sold how many millions? over 14 milllion? I believe for a first niche category product, I do not think you could claim a more successful product than the iPad.

"More open competitors?" This guy is an executive at HP? I could throw meaningless buzz words out all day as well.

What really needs to be open on a mobile device with personal information on it? Who cares if your device is "open" if you have no one is even writing applications for it.

Time to short sell some more HP and Dell.
  • Reply 150 of 232
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

Let's see:

iPad $829 (buy the most expensive one, give him the benefit of the doubt)

case $60

keyboard $80

mouse $80

Total:$1,049

Total: $1,500-$1,600

There you have it.

Except this line:

Quote:

Should read: Put someone on retainer to modify every app you buy to use a mouse: Priceless!
  • Reply 151 of 232
    crift2012crift2012 Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Unknownz View Post

That picture of the "TouchPad" tablet is ridonkulous----just because they throw a bad Apple-esque reflection on it, and give it an imitative name of iPad does not make it worth competing with iPad.

What happened to calling these tablets "___Slates?" Oh right, ever since Apple went with iPad as the name for their tablet instead of "iSlate," all these Apple wannabes followed suit with naming their vaporware __Pads.

it is rather sad. The iPad competitors even have to copy the naming convention of the iPad. I mean damn people, you guys are uber lazy. Remember when Ballmer came out with the Slate? The buzz was that Apple's was going to be called the apple slate, so Ballmer made a fool of himself once again at CES '10.

To think, I used to think so highly of some of these companies.
  • Reply 152 of 232
    frugalityfrugality Posts: 410member
    Notice that while the execs made some comments -- which we may not agree with -- what I find amusing that the Appleinsider folks characterize it as 'lashing out'. The execs didn't 'lash out'. They did make critical remarks about their competitor, but heck...Steve Jobs does that all the time, too. He claimed that the 7" tablets like the Galaxy Tab needed to come with sandpaper to sand your fingers down.

It's all the same. It's business. Of course HP and Dell execs can't praise Apple. Neither can Apple praise their competition.
  • Reply 153 of 232
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    The usual saying is something like "don't attribute to malice what is simply ignorance," but in this case most of the commenters here have it backwards: Dell and HP do not believe what they are saying, they are consciously sowing the seeds of "fear, uncertainty, and doubt" (FUD). Enterprise buyers (executives who make purchasing decisions for thousands, even hundreds of thousands of employees) tend to be very risk-averse and very susceptible to arguments like these. Dell, HP, and Microsoft have a long history of pitching their products to these decision makers. They know this "closed system" argument is BS, but they also know that it's the kind of thing that makes corporate buyers very nervous. The old saying was "no one ever got fired for buying IBM" then it changed to Microsoft being the safe choice. These guys are just doing what they can to increase the chance that businesses will think that outfitting their staff with Apple stuff is a risky decision.

I will not be at all surprised to witness the following exchange at my company: CEO: "Hey IT what would it take to give everyone an iPad? Do you think that would make them more productive?" IT: "I understand where you coming from, but it's not clear that the iPad is the right solution. It's a closed platform and doesn't have enterprise support. Dell will be coming out with the product for us shortly." In the meantime, an increasing number of executives (and managers, etc.) are going around IT and buying their own iPhones and iPads.
  • Reply 154 of 232
    enjournienjourni Posts: 254member
    ROFL. Dell thinks it's the 80s where there was a clear cost preference towards windows vs the Mac OS. Now apple has the dominant mobile OS, with maybe one (weak) competitor (android) ... nobody else really comes close. So now the windows clone hardware manufacturers don't know what to do. They can't build anything that holds iOS, so they're stuck with 3rd rate alternatives (android again). Of course they are going to backtalk apple- they are probably shitting in their pants trying to figure out how to save their profits (... eg in 5 years when mobile devices eclipse PCs they will have nothing to build for since apple will dominate.)
  • Reply 155 of 232
    dellardellar Posts: 8member
    Player haters!
  • Reply 156 of 232
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    Personally of the PC side of the world. I like Dell. Great experience with their machines (everyone in my home owns one and my dads 98 desktop still runs perfectly.

Though not prefect.

That said

What an f***king retard. Does he really think the iPad is a fail?

Even if apple couldn't sell one after today, they made a few billion off the product no?

Pass.

A fail is dells shitty tablets.

I never really liked HP.
  • Reply 157 of 232
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 514member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Does he live in Wally World?

How does a $699 64GB iPad 2 with a $39 smart cover, a $69 wireless keyboard, a $29 dock and $69 Magic Mouse add up to $1500 - $1600?

$876 before tax in the US.

Hell, I suppose we'll have to throw in a 24" monitor as well?

Or a 16GB iPad 2 for $499, keyboard, smart cover, dock, and no mouse (because what in the hell is the mouse for - unless you just want another one for your Mac...), and now you're at a whopping $636 - which is likely less than whatever Dell will be offering without a keyboard, nice cover, or dock.

Haha, $636 dollars? Why wouldn't you buy a Streak instead?
  • Reply 158 of 232
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dellar View Post

Player haters!

What players? What haters? Can you be a little bit more specific?
  • Reply 159 of 232
    mknoppmknopp Posts: 257member
    Guys, you need to give Mr. Lark ( ) a break.

The reason it cost him $1500-$1600 dollars was because he bought about a hundred different mice before the five year old down the street took pity on the poor fool ( ) and told him that the iPad doesn't need a mouse. I mean it took him at least a dozen mice before he figured out that the iPad didn't have a serial port.

THIS is a technology exec?
  • Reply 160 of 232
    rkprorkpro Posts: 28member
    This tool is Dell's global head of marketing?

Until they have people lining up each morning to buy a Dell product, they shouldn't really be trashing Apple's strategy.