Continued lines for Apple's iPad 2 create 'shock and awe,' sales forecasts surge

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 134
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple4 View Post

Profit for Apple but 99% of its customers are just pawns that own no stock whatsoever. Just trying to fit in by buying the device with the "i" on it. Brilliant on Apples part. Just make something and slap an "i" on it. Sell millions.

Surely if we wanted to "fit in" we would buy a windows machine, or the ( supposedly) soon to be ubiquitous Android tablet like everybody else.

Naw, we like innovative products. But you stick with your cheap dell, it suits you and you probably aren't smart enough to earn enough money to buy a Mac.
  • Reply 122 of 134
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Surely if we wanted to "fit in" we would buy a windows machine, or the ( supposedly) soon to be ubiquitous Android tablet like everybody else.

Naw, we like innovative products. But you stick with your cheap dell, it suits you and you probably aren't smart enough to earn enough money to buy a Mac.

He created a new alias just to troll. How long before this guy is banned? How quickly can I push his buttons to expedite that process? Should I even bother?
  • Reply 123 of 134
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Don't be fooled. Android will absolutely gain market share... people will flock to them the same they flocked to handsets... Apple will lose ground and most likey not lead the tablet market in the very near future.

That doesn't change the fact that the iPad will continue to offer the best experience and best ecosystem. As for me, no tablets for me.

Funny how definite you are without even living with a tablet for a few months... as you said, not at all.

No, Apple will be the leader in tablets for a couple years more. Yes, they will lose ground and at some point, perhaps, sell fewer units than Android.

But their focus is much different than that. iPad 1 was proof of concept. Weren't initial sales expectations in the 1-2 million range. Which is quite fine for figuring out if it's worth it to go down the tablet path. Well, in 9 months they SOLD 15 million iPad 1's. (see AI stories addressing this).

Also, Apple has shown that their overall Corporate Direction is toward high-margin, easy-to-use devices that have a low "problem rate"... [even with antenna problems]. Neither the company or the investors are toooooo focused on market share. That's a PC game... Windows, Dell, etc.
  • Reply 124 of 134
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

He created a new alias just to troll. How long before this guy is banned? How quickly can I push his buttons to expedite that process? Should I even bother?

Solipsism: Please bother. I would appreciate it, for one.
  • Reply 125 of 134
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:

Don't be fooled. Android will absolutely gain market share.

For phones where carriers subsidize and give them away? Sure. For tablets where people have to actively choose? Hardly.

Quote:

With so many devices coming out, people will flock to them the same they flocked to handsets.

Geeks and Apple haters will flock. Cheapskates, like with netbooks, will test the waters and quickly find them wanting. The stubborn will tough it out, suffering with an inferior user experience.

Quote:

People want choice

Some geeks and those with political axes to grind consider "choice" to be important. For the vast majority of people these devices are tools. If they allow someone to do what they want without getting in the way, the device is useful.

That's what geeks, techies and technical journalists consistently miss. Normal people don't care about long checklists of features they will never use, let alone understand. Instead it's "Will this device do what I want with minimal fuss". This is the question Apple is a master at answering.

What many sneer at and try to deride as "marketing" is instead Apple paying attention to exactly what their customers wants and needs are.

Quote:

and of course the people who love to heavily tinker will never get an iOS based product.

And they are such a minuscule number when compared to all the potential tablet users, I doubt Apple looses any sleep over them. At all. Sorry if your in that group - you simply don't matter to Apple. They don't need you. Indeed, I wouldn't want you if I was a business owner. This class of user can be the most costly in terms of support and the most likely to buy the absolute least amount of product from you.

A vocal minority, ultimately a tempest in a teapot.

Quote:

Apple will lose ground and most likey not lead the tablet market in the very near future.

Don't bank on it. Apple has mastered it's traditional achilles heal - price parity. Not only have they mastered it, no one has been able to match them on price. Never mind software, the App Store, the whole iTunes ecosystem, their vast and ever expanding network of Apple retail outlets... Even discounting all of that and coming back to price, why do you think there is such a push for 7" tablets? It has very little to do with the validity of 7" being a better form factor and everything to do with a dramatically cheaper screen - the most expensive part of a tablet. And even still they can't match Apple on price

Android on phones was a fluke. With the iPhone on Verizon, it will be fascinating to see the first quarter of sales for the iPhone vs. Android. Remember, even with the iPhone on Verizon people have to pay more for an iPhone vs. getting an Android phone for free, or at a discount or a buy-one-get-one free deal. And the quarter that has the iPhone 5 release? That's going to be the truly fascinating sales quarter.

Honeycomb is a joke. Google scrambled to get something, anything out the door to counter the iPad. The kerfluffle over them not releasing the source code is a symptom of this.

Steve Jobs has every right to use the word flummoxed to describe their so-called competitors.

Quote:

That doesn't change the fact that the iPad will continue to offer the best experience and best ecosystem. As for me, no tablets for me.

That's fine. But for people where traditional computers held little appeal, the iPad is very compelling. My father, for example, for the first time in his life is having fun sending and receiving email, browsing the web, reading things online, following sports (even during games - never in my wildest dreams did I envision my father playing with an electronic device during a sporting event!) and heaven help me - even participating on FaceBook.

There are far more non-PC owners in the world than PC owners. And of PC owners, there are a significant portion who own PCs not because that's what they want, but until the the iOS devices they didn't really have an alternative.

They do now.

And you are seeing the response in the lines, even today, for the iPad 2.

The fact that many technical people don't get or like the iPad will matter little in halting it's success. Your not the target customer.
  • Reply 126 of 134
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Geeks and Apple haters will flock. Cheapskates, like with netbooks, will test the waters and quickly find them wanting. The stubborn will tough it out, suffering with an inferior user experience.

<. . . >

Some geeks and those with political axes to grind . . .

Well done, Dr. If you can profile the typical Applephobe any further, I hope you will let us know. Somehow I think it has to do with how much in the left brain one is operating, and how little in the right brain.
  • Reply 127 of 134
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Wrong. Some Apple stores have had thousands of units in stock which were gone in mere hours. It's not like there's two iPads per store and Apple is intentionally holding back supply.

The iPad is sold out all over the world. From the USA, to Germany, to Australia, to New Zealand, to the UK, damn near everywhere.

The iPad 2 supply-demand scenario is a global clusterfuck. That's pretty clear now. It's shaping up to be worse or as bad than the iPhone 4 situation in many places.

Is Apple to blame? I can't say so, it's just demand is yet more insane this time, except in the case of rampant scalping which Apple could/tried to address.

Where are all these iPad 2 buyers coming from??? That's what I really want to know. A lot of them are iPad 1 owners.

The Japan situation as well has brought a lot of risks into the supply chain, let alone Japan itself getting back on its feet and restoring normal and safe standards of living. We won't see all the effects now in the supply chain but I really can't imagine the global iPad 2 situation sorting it self out until after the middle of the year.

There is also some initial grumblings with the screen quality and screen bleed issues. Which means returns which means less stock.

Steve, hope you are doing well. How to face whatever it is you are facing in the wake of what's happening in the world?
  • Reply 128 of 134
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    This is a good post. Without carrier subsidies, with everyone mad over iPad 2, a lot of people might even choose the iPad 1 than a Samsung or whatever. And where are all the Android tablet apps? 100 of them? Really? What a joke. I have no idea WTF is going on in mobile and tablet land. Trends sway faster than the wind blows... Except for Apple, rock steady albeit they just can't make enough iOS devices!

Quote:

For phones where carriers subsidize and give them away? Sure. For tablets where people have to actively choose? Hardly.

Some geeks and those with political axes to grind consider "choice" to be important. For the vast majority of people these devices are tools. If they allow someone to do what they want without getting in the way, the device is useful.

That's what geeks, techies and technical journalists consistently miss. Normal people don't care about long checklists of features they will never use, let alone understand. Instead it's "Will this device do what I want with minimal fuss". This is the question Apple is a master at answering.

What many sneer at and try to deride as "marketing" is instead Apple paying attention to exactly what their customers wants and needs are.

Don't bank on it. Apple has mastered it's traditional achilles heal - price parity. Not only have they mastered it, no one has been able to match them on price. Never mind software, the App Store, the whole iTunes ecosystem, their vast and ever expanding network of Apple retail outlets... Even discounting all of that and coming back to price, why do you think there is such a push for 7" tablets? It has very little to do with the validity of 7" being a better form factor and everything to do with a dramatically cheaper screen - the most expensive part of a tablet. And even still they can't match Apple on price

Honeycomb is a joke. Google scrambled to get something, anything out the door to counter the iPad. The kerfluffle over them not releasing the source code is a symptom of this.

Steve Jobs has every right to use the word flummoxed to describe their so-called competitors.

• Reply 129 of 134
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Ditto on DocNo42’s post.
  • Reply 130 of 134
    Quote:

And you are seeing the response in the lines, even today, for the iPad 2.

The fact that many technical people don't get or like the iPad will matter little in halting it's success. Your not the target customer.

My thoughts exactly! In NJ with iPad 1 I was able to get a model I wanted after waiting in line for 2 minutes on day 3! iPhone 4 was much worse! iPad 2 was INSANE! the lines are still out to the parking lot and this is not even technical people! Just ordinary folk from students to nurses, to parents...

New York is way out of control! I went to the soho store to buy a cable and I almost got lynched by people waiting for the iPad 2 and thought I was circumventing the line. Not only ordinary people want it, they are willing to go to extremes to get it.

In the meantime, my local Costco has a steady supply of zooms and galaxy tabs! I have yet to see any cardboard replicas (that's how you buy them in Costco) in anyone's shopping cart. No wonder Motorola will scale back production of the zoom. It's no fun being stuck with inventory that doesn't move.
  • Reply 131 of 134
    Quote:

Don't be fooled. Android will absolutely gain market share. With so many devices coming out, people will flock to them the same they flocked to handsets. People want choice and of course the people who love to heavily tinker will never get an iOS based product. Apple will lose ground and most likey not lead the tablet market in the very near future.

I appreciate you have an opinion ... so does everyone else ... not fact ... might even be fiction. Most of us don't care about the heavy customizing crowd (very small indeed) ... but very noisy.
  • Reply 132 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seankill View Post

I went to a Best Buy to see if they had an iPad but I was told that all of the stores are on like a 45 day waiting period. I am looking to get one for college (since I am a freshman in an engineering program). But I really only need the horsepower of a laptop in engineering class itself). So I am trying to get one ASAP. My question being is this true? Cause it sounded like BS.

You should consider a MacBook AIR. In the second week after launch ... I was in a Best Buy last week to ask some questions ... not planning on buying. Ask the question ... "Any in stock" ... surprise yes. So I bought a 64 GB white Wi-Fi only (I have Verizon Mi-Fi). Of course by the end of the day they were all gone. But if you time it you can get it. I won't stand in lines.

If you're lucky that is.
  • Reply 133 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by H2P View Post

Funny how definite you are without even living with a tablet for a few months... as you said, not at all.

No, Apple will be the leader in tablets for a couple years more. Yes, they will lose ground and at some point, perhaps, sell fewer units than Android.

But their focus is much different than that. iPad 1 was proof of concept. Weren't initial sales expectations in the 1-2 million range. Which is quite fine for figuring out if it's worth it to go down the tablet path. Well, in 9 months they SOLD 15 million iPad 1's. (see AI stories addressing this).

Also, Apple has shown that their overall Corporate Direction is toward high-margin, easy-to-use devices that have a low "problem rate"... [even with antenna problems]. Neither the company or the investors are toooooo focused on market share. That's a PC game... Windows, Dell, etc.

Acer posted a notice that they decided to change from a "Market Share" focus to a "Profit" focus. If you sell millions, and make a nickle, then if you sell more millions, you make more nickles ... but if you can't pay the electric light bill, you're out of business.

Apple seems to be able to pay the light bill, and then some. They must be doing something right if all the so-called competitors are following. As the old dog sled story goes ... 'If you ain't the lead dog ... the view is always the same"
  • Reply 134 of 134
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

So, a blog site or some trendsupdates,com posted a graph, and yuou immediately accepted it to be factual? How reliable are they? Did they give any information to prove the veracity of their graph.

Have you ever heard of the US Census? If you did, and ever spent time going through their website, you will find that they do more than the US Population.

Here's a link that you should analyze:

http://www.census.gov/ipc/www/idb/worldpop.php

and that is the average for the whole world. You do understand averages, I hope.

Then, if you still are not convinced of the ridiculousness of such data posted above, let me introduce you to the concept of population pyramids for different countries... rich countries, developing cournties, very poor coutries and very very poor countries.

Then if that is not enough, let me go to the next level and introduce the concept of average per capita income.

But we do not even have to go that deep. Let's take the United States, which is one of the riches countries in the world (but not the richest actually per capita): As of 20 March 2011, ] the best estimate of the population of the US is about 310 million

http://www.census.gov/ipc/www/idb/worldpopinfo.php

and here's the corresponding US population pyramid:

Then try to answer these:

Do 15 year old Americans and under all have phones of their own?

Do all American teenagers between 15-18 have phones?

Then relate this with the total phone subrscribers for the major telephone companies, put an estimate on the other smaller phone companies, and relate these to the the above reliable population estimates for the US.

Do the same for Bangladesh:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ramid_2005.png

India

http://den.spicylemons.com/gallery.p...iid=430&cid=16

China

http://www.iiasa.ac.at/Research/SRD/...ts/p_19a_m.gif

How many hundreds of millions (if not billions can you safely include as not having any phones?

And the above pyramids do not even include the impact of per capita income ot these countries. By the way, there are a lot of poor people in India and China, but they are not the poorest countries in the world.

If the above information alone would not make you understand that the proposition that there are more about 5 billion individuals in the world, then count me out of your discussions.

CGC

Don't be a passive aggressive d!ck. Everyone has heard of The Census, but your point is as opaque as your prose. I can't tell if you think I think there are only 5Bn people in the world or the 6.5Bn I implied (5bn + 1.5Bn). The number is nearing 7Bn now. Anyway, the stat was an industry stat repeated by the trends website. It is clearly more reputable that your ranting with a priori logic and basic stats that have little to do with how many cell phones there are in the world.

Your simple population pyramids prove or disprove nothing except that you seem to be making a case that there are so many children in India and China that it seems unlikely there are 5 Billion cell phone users in the world (assuming that none of those kids have phones). I get your point I think, but remember that phones in developing nations are becoming a staple product (not smartphones). They are communication, they are the bank (micropayments through carrier), etc. and they exist where no land line ever will. Ordinary cell phones are really cheap now. You can get them in the Asda bargain bucket for 5GBP these days, so they are eminently affordable by all but the most poverty stricken and most are pay as you go where you can trickle value into your phone at very low cost.

I can accept that 5Bn users may be a bit much but 5Bn phones is not a stretch given how many people in the developed and developing world have 2 phones.

Anyway, if you would like to articulate your point more clearly, I could perhaps respond better and more succinctly.