Killer deal: Mac mini for $599; albums for iPad; Android gets in-app billing

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pand0ra View Post

The day Apple computers price their hardware to be competitive then I will believe that they COULD have a deal. I purchased a mini a couple of years ago and the poor quality of the cheap ass hardware they put into it is abysmal. Let's take a look shall we?

512 (2 x 256) MB memory upgrade = $100 | actual cost of memory (2 x 256) online (not apple) $5

DVD-ROM $14

Micro motherboard (proprietary) We'll go conservative since there is no reseller of this product $100

Processor (Dual core Intel) (can't remember anymore what that cost) so we'll say $100

60GB 2.5" 5400 Hard drive $100 (which failed after 1 year & 1 month)

$319 total (if I could get all of the components)

Paid.... over $800

This is the definition of rip-off

Wait a second, you forgot a few things:

case

software (including the share of development costs) including OS X, iLife, etc.

cables

power supply

packaging

marketing

I'd estimate the cost was closer to $400-$500 (assuming you paid $599 for the device; Apple wasn't making quite the profit margins on the Minis as they were on other machines).

Look at the bright side, at least *you* got to select the keyboard and display :-)
  • Reply 22 of 26
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Android Insider
  • Reply 23 of 26
    aeolianaeolian Posts: 189member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

This was very timely - I'd been tasked to buy a Mac Mini for my fathers birthday in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for posting this AI. You've just saved me a hundred bucks!

Make sure you don't put 10.6.7 on it. I have one with 8gig of ram and with the new update it acts like there's 128Mb of ram...

I'm very, very disapointed. It was very, very quick before the new 'update'.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    I love the Mac Mini. The problem is when you come to peripherals--or the lack thereof. The cheapest Apple keyboard is $50 (wired). The cheapest Apple mouse is $50 (also wired). And the only Apple-branded display is $1000. So, conservatively, an all-Apple-branded solution based on the Mini is going to cost you $1,800.

So, if I want any kind of deal I can afford, I end up using the Mac Mini with some other brand of 22" monitor for $200 and another brand of mouse and keyboard for $30 combined. Sure, it works great. But is this really how Apple wants us to use the Mini?

Could they possibly come up with a 22" display and bundle a mouse and keyboard so that the whole bundle costs about the same as a 21.5" iMac? The components and specs are all the same otherwise, and it shouldn't cost that much extra (if anything at all) to put them in a smaller case. It seems only reasonable to me.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    ezduzitezduzit Posts: 158member
    [QUOTE=alpha10711;1839377]I love the Mac Mini. The problem is when you come to peripherals--or the lack thereof. The cheapest Apple keyboard is $50 (wired). The cheapest Apple mouse is $50 (also wired).

<And the only Apple-branded display is $1000. So, conservatively, an all-Apple-branded solution based on the Mini is going to cost you $1,800. >

i have a mac mini and have used a 24" viewsonic and a 27" samsung monitor for many years with no problem. each cost much less than 1/2 of the $1000 you quote for the apple display.

same goes for memory. just as good as apple memory if you buy from a legit seller. far far cheaper.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    What will happen to the MacMini Server pricing?

I see that MacMall is now offering the MacMini Server at a $50 discount, rather than $100 for the regular MacMini. Far from proportional, I would say (or it would be $125 rather than $50).

Considering that MacOSX Server will be included in Lion, there won't be a further price premium for MacOSX Server over regular MacOSX.

Therefore the MacMini Server's price may come down.

(Expect the MacMini Server to come with a 10 user limit at the lower price, though. Price as before for the MacMini Server unlimited, or just slightly lower.)