Apple releases Mac OS X 10 Lion Developer Preview 2 to developers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

10.0 was beta and Apple made no effort to hide this. They said it was beta and they sold it as a paid beta.

Vista was sold as a fully blown OS when in actual fact it was a $1000(NZ) beta (Ultimate edition).

HUGE difference.

There has been a large number of bugs in SL, Leopard, Tiger which took a few service paks to resolve, don't try and claim Apple is any different.

Now, Vista Ultimate might have been that price, but who actually purchases a full copy? the vast majority of people will get it as an upgrade, or OEM copy. I have a Dell Optiplex 960, it came with Vista Ultimate 64 on it, I only paid NZ$700 for the PC including the Windows licence
  • Reply 22 of 51
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

One thing I've also noticed is that DP2 by default puts your user name on the menu bar, and I haven't found a way to disable it yet. This is useful if you have a shared machine and use user switching, but if you don't, it seems to create unnecessary visual clutter.

There normal ways aren?t working?
    • Turn off Fast User Switching Menu from System Preferences.

• Hold down Command and then click on the name to move/remove the item.

• Reply 23 of 51
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

There has been a large number of bugs in SL, Leopard, Tiger which took a few service paks to resolve, don't try and claim Apple is any different.

Vista harasses me on an almost weekly basis to install one update or another. It gets really irritating when running within VM Fusion.

The term "Service Pack" is very much a Microsoft term for its operating systems.

I find its application to OS X distasteful.

Quote:

Now, Vista Ultimate might have been that price, but who actually purchases a full copy? the vast majority of people will get it as an upgrade, or OEM copy. I have a Dell Optiplex 960, it came with Vista Ultimate 64 on it, I only paid NZ$700 for the PC including the Windows licence

It implies that either Microsoft finds it far more expensive to provide its OS directly to customers than to OEMs or that, seeing that the current Windows Ultimate (Windows 7) is $500 New Zealand dollars, your PC is worth only 200.
  • Reply 24 of 51
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    I recant my earlier statement... Mission Control is very much cleaned up in this build. It works near perfectly. (Of course, the actual usability of the feature is up for debate.)
  • Reply 25 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There normal ways aren?t working?
    • Turn off Fast User Switching Menu from System Preferences.

• Hold down Command and then click on the name to move/remove the item.

Yeah, I got the first method to work for me. For some reason, System Preferences locked everything down for me, even though I never told it to, maybe it's a default I wasn't aware of. As for the second method, I actually didn't know you could do that.
  • Reply 26 of 51
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

Vista harasses me on an almost weekly basis to install one update or another. It gets really irritating when running within VM Fusion.

How is it any more harassing than the updates OS X wants to install?

If you don't want to see the updates, turn off the automatic update function/

Quote:

The term "Service Pack" is very much a Microsoft term for its operating systems.

I find its application to OS X distasteful.

Why? Are you embarssed that OS X needs fixes applied to it? Get over it, OS X isn't perfect.

Quote:

It implies that either Microsoft finds it far more expensive to provide its OS directly to customers than to OEMs or that, seeing that the current Windows Ultimate (Windows 7) is $500 New Zealand dollars, your PC is worth only 200.

No, it implies that MS provides a discount to a customer that purchases a large number of their products, I think you will find that all companies do this for their customers.
  • Reply 27 of 51
    This build continues to refer to "Wi-Fi" instead of "AirPort" and "Desktops" instead of "Spaces."
  • Reply 28 of 51
    Quote:

Yeah, I got the first method to work for me. For some reason, System Preferences locked everything down for me, even though I never told it to, maybe it's a default I wasn't aware of. As for the second method, I actually didn't know you could do that.

1) It?s done that for as long as I can remember as to protect the User Account settings.

2) It?s useful for Menu Bar items written in what I assume to be Cocoa (as it doesn?t work for older apps that sit in the Menu Bar) as you can move them around to positions that suit your needs. It makes apps iStat Menus more configurable.
  • Reply 29 of 51
    Quote:

This build continues to refer to "Wi-Fi" instead of "AirPort" and "Desktops" instead of "Spaces."

Those items are propagated throughout the OS enough times that I don?t expect them to change.

WiFi is clearly more common and better understood than AirPort, but Spaces and Desktop(s) could be a bit confusing.

My only concern with Mission Control is 1) the inability ability to rearrange the Desktops and fullscreen apps order and 2) the ability to rename the Desktops to something more instructive.
  • Reply 30 of 51
    Quote:

You don't have to crawl through the mess that is the control panel to get the CHOICE of not restarting your computer to update

Quote:

Why? Are you embarssed that OS X needs fixes applied to it? Get over it, OS X isn't perfect.

No, he's upset that you make it seem that OS X needs a Service Pack to fix huge amounts of bugs.

Quote:

No, it implies that MS provides a discount to a customer that purchases a large number of their products, I think you will find that all companies do this for their customers.

Not on that scale, no.
  • Reply 31 of 51
    Quote:

Those items are propagated throughout the OS enough times that I don?t expect them to change.

WiFi is clearly more common and better understood than AirPort, but Spaces and Desktop(s) could be a bit confusing.

My only concern with Mission Control is 1) the inability ability to rearrange the Desktops and fullscreen apps order and 2) the ability to rename the Desktops to something more instructive.

I still think being able to assign a custom name to each Desktop is coming. And it seems Apple has reduced "Spaces" wording to when assigning applications, you'll see "every Space" instead of "every Desktop."
  • Reply 32 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

You don't have to crawl through the mess that is the control panel to get the CHOICE of not restarting your computer to update

You're implying you have to go into the Control Panel at all. Hit the Windows key, type "Update" into the Start menu, click once and there are all the settings for automatic updates, including the ability to turn it off entirely. Which is not all that different from opening Spotlight, typing "Update" and being able to alter all the Software Update settings without having to once use System Preferences navigation.
  • Reply 33 of 51
    So... To return to the topic at hand, does this build support 32 bit macs? Specifically the 1st gen intel iMac.
  • Reply 34 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Vista was sold as a fully blown OS when in actual fact it was a $1000(NZ) beta (Ultimate edition).

I don't know where in New Zealand you were purchasing vista ultimate but if you payed $1000 New Zealand you were getting ripped off. We purchased vista ultimate within a week of launch at harvey norman up Morehouse ave in Christchurch and we payed $514.49NZ for the full version, just checked our docket. So you need to check your sources buddy. Beta is your opinion as we never had a problem with vista and nether did the majority of people. Stop trying to antagonize people. This is not a windows site so no one wants to hear your opinion on anything Microsoft or Windows when its not constructive.

GROW UP
  • Reply 35 of 51
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:

My experience is that Vista demands far more frequent updates than OS X Snow Leopard.

Of course to be fair I should be comparing Snow Leopard to Windows 7 or Vista to Leopard.

Yes, no software is perfect.

Back to the subject to hand, it's only natural that there are plenty of bugs within the developer preview, Lion is still a work in progress.
  • Reply 36 of 51
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joedirt6699 View Post

I don't know where in New Zealand you were purchasing vista ultimate but if you payed $1000 New Zealand you were getting ripped off. We purchased vista ultimate within a week of launch at harvey norman up Morehouse ave in Christchurch and we payed $514.49NZ for the full version, just checked our docket. So you need to check your sources buddy. Beta is your opinion as we never had a problem with vista and nether did the majority of people. Stop trying to antagonize people. This is not a windows site so no one wants to hear your opinion on anything Microsoft or Windows when its not constructive.

GROW UP

You'll want to not do that for future posts.
  • Reply 37 of 51
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    Quote:

So far it looks like Apple is going with the "as used" approach to ordering spaces. Intead of manually ordering the spaces, it works like the multitask bar in iOS: the items that get used move to the front of the line.

For example, if you full screen mail (in the third space over), move to the first space, and click it in the dock, it will move to the right of the first space (making Mail occupy the the second spaces location). The same goes for other Spaces, if you are in a Space and click an application in another space, the space (containing the application you just clicked) will move to the right of your current Space before shifting over.

I don't like this method because I need things to stay in order instead of getting swapped around.
  • Reply 38 of 51
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Not even the same comparison. Sure, Apple sold OSX 10 to the public in a still needed a lot of work state, however, Apple made OS 9 the default operating system until OS 10.1.2 shipped. Apple released OSX 10.0 so the Mac faithful who were clamourig for the new OS could use it and provide needed feedback. When you bought a new Mac though, OS 9 booted up.

With Vista, Microsoft did something different. It scrapped its previous OS plans after seeing OSX Tiger. It went back to the drawing board. After constant criticism of not shipping an OS on schedule as promised Microsoft released Vista as the primary OS. Computers old with Vista as the only boot up option.

Quote:

Mac OS X 10.0

All OS have bugs, there is no perfect software.

Speaking of bugs, I've still found that the contextual menus in System Preferences do nothing. This was reported in the previous build and still hasn't been fixed yet. Other bugs that still persist are the vectored cursors and videos not working properly in iTunes (although the latter was noted in the seed notes.)

• Reply 39 of 51
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The beta software, labeled Mac OS X Lion Developer Preview 2 ....

... was accompanied by Mac OS X Lion Server Developer Preview 2....

[ View this article at AppleInsider.com ][/c]

Can someone clarify this. There's been a lot made of the departure of a separate Server OS starting with Lion, ... with it's combo/integration into one OS.

However that seems to not be the case.......

or.......

is it?
  • Reply 40 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tink View Post

Can someone clarify this. There's been a lot made of the departure of a separate Server OS starting with Lion, ... with it's combo/integration into one OS.

However that seems to not be the case.......

or.......

is it?

This is what I mentioned earlier. DP1 had just one seed to download, now DP2 comes in both client and server. So it makes me wonder if Apple changed its plans about combining the two.