Adobe demos new iPad app during Photoshop World

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
This morning, Adobe showed off new imaging technology for iPad during the keynote address of the company's Photoshop World conference.

The new technology expands upon the free Photoshop Express tool Adobe already offers in the iOS App Store, which offers basic camera, photo editing and picture sharing tools. A $3.99 Camera Pack in app purchase option adds a self-timer shutter, auto review, and noise reduction technology derived from Lightroom 3.

The new technologies Adobe demonstrated on iPad allow for multi-layer documents, animated in 3D to visualize how the layers stack up from the side, as well as support for syncing settings and colors between an iPad and Photoshop running on a desktop computer.

A report by blog Photography Bay includes a video of the demonstration on stage at the event.

iPad apps get big

Adobe's new technology is described as being "in the pipeline" and no release date has yet been set. However, the new app suggests that major developers are increasingly beginning to take iPad seriously as a development platform for their apps. While neither Adobe nor Microsoft have yet ported significant apps from their flagship desktop suites, both have already brought supporting elements of their app portfolios to iOS.

In addition to Adobe Photoshop Elements for iPad, Adobe has produced a free Adobe Ideas sketchbook, the free Adobe Content Viewer for showing interactive digital publications created with InDesign, and LiveCycle Mobile for collaborative content management.

Apple has taken full advantage of Microsoft's slow progress in making mobile versions of Office to launch its own iWorks suite, establishing Pages, Keynote and Numbers as top downloads over the past year. The company has also aggressively moved to bring iMovie and GarageBand to iPad. Apple's apps take four of the top ten grossing apps slots in the iPad App Store. QuickOffice, a $15 third party title, has also become a popular tool for creating, editing, printing Microsoft Office documents on iPad

The iPad App Store now boasts more than 65,000 apps specifically optimized for iPad, compared to a couple dozen for Google's competing Android 3.0 Honeycomb tablet platform, and even smaller libraries for RIM's upcoming PlayBook and HP's TouchPad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Someone needs to tell Adobe that the iPad is only for consumption.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Wow! This is awesome. I hope the pricing will be a good as iMovie and Garageband.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

Wow! This is awesome. I hope the pricing will be a good as iMovie and Garageband.

I have the iPhone version with the extra $3.99 in-app add-on. I think it should be rolled into the core product. The noise reduction is a nice feature for cleaning up grainy low-light pics and a must for iPod Touch 4 and iPad 2 camera pics.

Otherwise, the Elements version has nothing in common with Photoshop per se: they're just using the brand recognition to sell a rather simple photo cleanup tool. For content creation, I like the Autodesk SketchBook app for iPad. It's not Photoshop, but it's very nice.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    iWork not iWorks
  • Reply 5 of 43
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    I can see it now...
  • Reply 6 of 43

Irony...

iPad: "I'd like to introduce you two!" "PhotoShop. meet Cocoa"

• Reply 7 of 43
    I just saw "Photoshop Elements for iPad" and I think my brain just shut off. Even before its released, Adobe already has a customer! I may have to buy a second stylus pen now...
  • Reply 8 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

CS 6 for iPad... Just $1225

I can see it now...

No...

Just $4.99...

...With lotsa' in app purchases.

• Reply 9 of 43
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Someone needs to tell Adobe that the iPad is only for consumption.

Yeah. I've been talking to them about that. I even offered a name for Lightroom on the iPad:

Lightpad. Well ... I like it!
  • Reply 10 of 43
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

I just saw "Photoshop Elements for iPad" and I think my brain just shut off. Even before its released, Adobe already has a customer! I may have to buy a second stylus pen now...

It doesn't do too much yet, but what it does, it does well.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

I had the exact opposite reaction.

This is pretty obviously a tech demo and not an app at all and it's doubtful whether they are even planning "Photoshop for iOS," or if it would be a useful app if they did. I see major interface problems with this app and it seemed quite confusing to use even for the person demoing it. If you listen carefully, the part where they swing around to show the layers is not actually part of the design, it's actually just necessary to explain to the audience what's going on in the demo. It was also kind of an ugly design with everything just stuck to a giant menu like that.

The thing that you really *need* when doing photoshop is precision and clarity. They're the key aspect of almost every photoshop operation. This demo on the other hand seemed terribly imprecise in every way and it was far from clear what was going on. I don't see any real UI innovation here at all, just a clunky demo.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    I like the way things are trending:

OS X and iOS becoming more like yin and yang

Larger multitouch displays beginning to augment and enhance user interaction and finished work product.

Applications/capabilities migrating and deploying where they are most useful to the end user.

In a few years, I suspect, the desktop computer will have:

-- a large, intelligent multitouch display that can handle IO from mouse, kb, stylus, fingers

-- repositionable from V to H but mostly position as a desk surface - like a drafting or light table

-- a secondary iPad mobile intelligent display (as above but smaller)

-- additional dumb displays for other uses

-- one OS to serve them all

HP and MSFT already make large mt displays -- but they don't "hang together" very well.

Pressure sensitivity can be in a BT stylus -- or even a more-sensitive touch interface.

NAB 2011 is April 9-14.

I wonder if Apple has anything to steal the thunder?

• Reply 13 of 43
    gwlaw99gwlaw99 Posts: 134member
    The 3d view of layers was really cool.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post

The 3d view of layers was really cool.

I?m not a Photoshop user so I?m curious how useful is that feature for actual users? It?s flashy, but I?d think that PS users would know which layers they are working on at a given time. Am I missing something? Does it have a real world usage within that app and on desktop versions?
  • Reply 15 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Irony...

iPad: "I'd like to introduce you two!" "PhotoShop. meet Cocoa"

I believe the two already met as of CS5?
  • Reply 16 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I had the exact opposite reaction.

This is pretty obviously a tech demo and not an app at all and it's doubtful whether they are even planning "Photoshop for iOS," or if it would be a useful app if they did. I see major interface problems with this app and it seemed quite confusing to use even for the person demoing it. If you listen carefully, the part where they swing around to show the layers is not actually part of the design, it's actually just necessary to explain to the audience what's going on in the demo. It was also kind of an ugly design with everything just stuck to a giant menu like that.

The thing that you really *need* when doing photoshop is precision and clarity. They're the key aspect of almost every photoshop operation. This demo on the other hand seemed terribly imprecise in every way and it was far from clear what was going on. I don't see any real UI innovation here at all, just a clunky demo.

I think you are being too critical.

This was a concept demo.

He was using a projector rather than a mirrored display.

His hands got in the way.

As with any graphics app (even Photoshop), you can gain precision and granularity by zooming.

The UI, obviously. needs work..

It's a first baby step,

Now, Imagine sitting down at a desk about the size of the Surface where you pin whatever menus you need wherever you want on the large surface.

Instead of press-holding a key to change a small hard-to-find cursor into a hand, then dragging the display -- you merely touch where you want and drag where you want.

If you look at it from the perspective of what you are trying to accomplish, rather than how you do it today -- you may think of ways that things could be accomplished more efficiently with direct multitouch as opposed to double-indirect kb mouse actions.

But as a transition aid you could pin a virtual mouse and kb at the bottom of the display (wherever).

• Reply 17 of 43
    Quote:

I?m not a Photoshop user so I?m curious how useful is that feature for actual users? It?s flashy, but I?d think that PS users would know which layers they are working on at a given time. Am I missing something? Does it have a real world usage within that app and on desktop versions?

It is neat!

I think it has some usein Photoshop!

Where it really becomes useful is in 3D compositing -- with something like Final Cut Motion.

Where you have layers of images, videos, filters generators lighting and cameras moving about in 3D space.

It's hard to describe why -- but looking at layers from the top or side while refining say a snow generator, a rippling water filter, a smoke or fog generator, while moving a camera or lighting is invaluable.

• Reply 18 of 43
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    Quote:

That's a good feature for the novice and just learning Photoshop as it shows the layers of an image deconstructed to their individual shapes and transparencies almost instantly makes a difficult concept simple to grasp and utilize..
  • Reply 19 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Just curious Dick, why the extra line feeds and period at the end of your posts?
  • Reply 20 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Just curious Dick, why the extra line feeds and period at the end of your posts?

Old Eyes... Whitespace Rules.