• Reply 21 of 29
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

I remember RenderMan on NeXT.

J

u r old.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    If the 3D story turns out to be factual, it will help explain the delays in releasing iWork 11 in particular Keynote.

I'm fairly sure it's cooked and ready for consumption, but the garnish - in this case Lion - is still to be prepared. For instance, in recent official Apple presentations, we have seen no new Keynote effects - the last new effects were introduced January 27, 2010 at the iPad 1 release.

This will clearly take it up to Powerpoint 2011 which has introduced interesting 3D effects and image and movie manipulations, surpassing Keynote 09, albeit with the unfortunately clumsy Microsoftian interface, known as the ribbon.

I think we can expect presentations to reach new levels of professionalism with Keynote if my hunch is correct.

Les Posen

Presentation Magic
  • Reply 23 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Could just be the typical sniping between fanclubs, but most of the comments from iOS users concerning 3D have been either ho-hum or downright negative. Perhaps if/when Apple offers the feature too then attitudes might change.

I have never seen an implementation of viewing 3D that was actually good. 3D right now is just a gimmick. It's cool for the first ten minutes and then the novelty wears of and I just want to watch a normal 2D movie. I doubt Apple will ever do a 3D display. But you never know, maybe they will find a way to do it that actually works.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mynameisjoe View Post

I have never seen an implementation of viewing 3D that was actually good. 3D right now is just a gimmick. It's cool for the first ten minutes and then the novelty wears of and I just want to watch a normal 2D movie. I doubt Apple will ever do a 3D display. But you never know, maybe they will find a way to do it that actually works.

There are only so many ways to effectively do 3D. The way it's done now does work, it's just that everyone is going to have slightly different depth perception.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mynameisjoe View Post

I see 3D eventually getting the kinks worked out and presented properly. If Apple gets this new set of tools into Lion, it'll lay a solid foundation if things go that way and in the meantime look good and maybe enable some new functionality.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Presentationmagic View Post

If the 3D story turns out to be factual, it will help explain the delays in releasing iWork 11 in particular Keynote.

I'm fairly sure it's cooked and ready for consumption, but the garnish - in this case Lion - is still to be prepared. For instance, in recent official Apple presentations, we have seen no new Keynote effects - the last new effects were introduced January 27, 2010 at the iPad 1 release.

Excellent point, and I hope you are correct. I'm limping along with 4 year old Keynote.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Presumably this will be for Lion's successor, but I bet Apple is working on a 3D desktop. Since the beginning the desktop has been consistent with the metaphor, but having a 'room' instead of a flat surface will present all kinds of interesting possibilities as well as challenges for their UI designers.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    z3r0z3r0 Posts: 238member
    It wouldn't be a bad idea if Apple took a look at Panda3D and gave Unity3D a run for it's money!

It was developed at Disney!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cbswe View Post

Is it possible that this might be related to the more focused targeting of the gaming industry? Scene Kit might make it easier to develop 3D-games for iOS-devices?

• Reply 29 of 29
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

I remember RenderMan on NeXT.

Me too. I always wondered why 3DKit was abandoned.