Mac OS X 10.7 Lion sets, finds, corrects insecure folder permissions

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion makes system wide changes to standard folder ownership and permissions to enhance security, finding and recommending changes where necessary.

Apple reportedly informed developers that a number of folders in the System and Local file system domains would be changing their default permissions in Lion. This includes many system and Library folders moving from 775 (writable by the admin group) to 755 (writable only by root). This change prevents modification of core system files without authenticating as the root user.

The only remaining local Library folders that will support admin group writing include Caches, Fonts, Java, QuickTimeStreaming, Receipts and Tomcat; all others require root access to modify.

A developer reports to AppleInsider that this changes the required permissions on installed printer queues, but that the system handles this by simply noting after installation that a correction is needed. Once the user approves of the change, the system adjusts the permissions as it records the issue in the CUPS error log (below).

Another Mac OS X Lion, feature related to Auto Save (described earlier in our report on Auto Save, Versions and Time Machine), is also getting a new setting in System Preferences.

Under the Appearance pane, a new option to lock Auto Save documents after a specific time interval has been added in Lion DP2. The previous setting was to default at two weeks, with no option to turn the lock feature off.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    What do autosaving and locking of documents have to do with appearance?
  • Reply 2 of 29
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Speaking of locking.

1) I hope they allow you to remove LaunchPad from the Dock before this goes GM.

2) I really think the Sidebar in Finder and items in the Dock need to have a locking feature. I know too many novice users who remove items accidentally and don’t know how to add them back.

PS: For those with erroneous or unwanted items in Launchpad, holding down Control+Option+Command and then clicking the item will cause it to disappear. You can also edit or delete the SQL DB in ~/Library/Application Support/Dock if you are looking for some deeper understanding of Launchpad.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Nothing. I've always wandered why Translucent menu bar wasn't in Appearances.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

---

PS: For those with erroneous or unwanted items in Launchpad, holding down Control+Option+Command and then clicking the item will cause it to disappear. You can also edit or delete the SQL DB in ~/Library/Application Support/Dock if you are looking for some deeper understanding of Launchpad.

Good Lord! The user-friendly version is a 3 key combination plus the mouse.

This is no way to make a user interface. I wish Apple would wake up to this.

The iPhone is immaculate but OSX is a mess.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

Good Lord! The user-friendly version is a 3 key combination plus the mouse.

This is no way to make a user interface. I wish Apple would wake up to this.

The iPhone is immaculate but OSX is a mess.

It certainly not a common combination, but it’s one that would not be oft used, which is why I expect Apple did it that way. Once you press those buttons you can click on Launchpad apps to delete them as quick as you wish.

What i mean by “Apple did it that way” is, once you’ve deleted an app from Launchpad there is no way to get it back unless you delete the DB and the Killall Dock from Terminal or logout/in. It’s suppose to be simple like iOS and without any complex menu items, hence the 3 button maneuver for any incorrect app icons. At least, that’s how I see it.

I didn’t even think there was a method for this until I did some googling and found some savvy users who had discovered it.

That said, I have no use for it and would a like a permanent way to remove it from the Dock. I keep apps in the Dock, in the Menu Bar or search them within a couple letters using Spotlight. I don’t need a touch-based OS setup for a desktop OS. I’m still on the fence as to whether this is viable for more novice users coming from iOS to Mac OS.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    I don't see much need to delete an App from Launchpad. Worst case, just make a folder for "Unwanted Apps" and stuff all those in there.

Edit: That being said, there should be an easy way to delete them. Especially since the UI paradigm has already been defined in iOS.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    Quote:

Nothing. Shameful how poorly Apple is at keeping their core "everyday" apps updated. I wish feature updates would come to Finder, Mail, Address Book, System Preferences and so on more frequently.

Maybe it's an accounting issue? They can't provide new features into a product that has already "shipped"?
  • Reply 8 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

I don't see much need to delete an App from Launchpad. Worst case, just make a folder for "Unwanted Apps" and stuff all those in there.

Edit: That being said, there should be an easy way to delete them. Especially since the UI paradigm has already been defined in iOS.

I?d argue that it is an easy way to delete them, just not an obvious way. It is currently impossible to re-add them without deleting the entire DB, which gets rid of the user organization of the apps.

That said, I would not mind a method that is similar to iOS that causes them to shake and shimmy to let you know you can delete them, simply to keep a consistency across both base platforms.

Having said that, I don?t think it?s necessary and will hinder Apple and users if they try to mirror one OS to the other for no other reason than it?s familiar. Just check out Windows Mobile for a great example of those pitfalls.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    Quote:

Probably just stuck it in there to put it somewhere for the time being. As a developer, I often just stick things were they don't make any sense but in plane view, so I can sympathize.

I doubt it will be left there, and if it is, that's awkward. I could see it being put somewhere under the Time Machine section, instead, though.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    "Show scroll bars: Automatically based on input device"

What if you have both a trackpad and a mouse?
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Quote:

My question as well! I would never have found this without AI's article.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    Quote:

Soli, your keen observations and tips like the above are one of the main reasons I like AI.

Thanks!
  • Reply 13 of 29
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

Nothing. Shameful how poorly Apple is at keeping their core "everyday" apps updated. I wish feature updates would come to Finder, Mail, Address Book, System Preferences and so on more frequently.

Maybe it's an accounting issue? They can't provide new features into a product that has already "shipped"?

They barely change the apps between major releases, I don't know what would come between them.

Quote:

I?d argue that it is an easy way to delete them, just not an obvious way. It is currently impossible to re-add them without deleting the entire DB, which gets rid of the user organization of the apps.

Why is it impossible to re-add an app? Is it not done yet or was there a decision to make it that way?
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Another Mac OS X Lion, feature related to Auto Save (described earlier in our report on Auto Save, Versions and Time Machine), is also getting a new setting in System Preferences.

Under the Appearance pane, a new option to lock Auto Save documents after a specific time interval has been added in Lion DP2. The previous setting was to default at two weeks, with no option to turn the lock feature off.

Hmm...I think I'd like it if there were two "open" methods: 1. View (read only) 2. Edit; after the locking period is up. This could be in the context-sensative menu where Open & Open With... are now.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    jdradenjdraden Posts: 89member
    Quote:

...I would not mind a method that is similar to iOS that causes them to shake and shimmy to let you know you can delete them, simply to keep a consistency across both base platforms.

Just click on an App and hold to rearrange or delete Apps. Same way it's done on iOS.

(edit) sorry, I'm mistaken. This method only works to rearrange Apps, not to delete them.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Soli, your keen observations and tips like the above are one of the main reasons I like AI.

Thanks!

No problem, it’s the quality of most contributors that keep me coming back to AI above all other tech forums. I’m glad I can add something every now and then.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Why is it impossible to re-add an app? Is it not done yet or was there a decision to make it that way?

To clarify, I mean that’s impossible from within Launchpad. I’d bet that it’s going the way this interface works since there is a service that will add any new apps to the end of the list when added either to the system-wide Applications folder or to the new Applications folder under the user’s folder. There seems to be no special placement In Launchpad for one or the other.

The oddity I’m seeing is that while this service will had new apps to Launchpad within a few seconds of being put in the Applications folder, it will not remove them from Launchpad within a few seconds of removing it from the Applicatons folder… or ever. If we assume this is by design, it may be because it then affords you the opportunity to have an app elsewhere in your system but still get fast access via Launchpad as the relative link follows the app’s location.

If you click on a now deleted app —*not simply a moved app —*you’ll get a question mark over it. Killing Finder, Dock or logging out/in does not resolve this issue. I think it may be nice that they would make a more intuitive system. Perhaps an ‘x’ in the corner of the icon to delete the app that is not found or let you drag it to the Trash.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Quote:

I'm wondering this, too. Frankly, it seems almost like it should be under Security settings.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Quote:

It certainly not a common combination, but it’s one that would not be oft used, which is why I expect Apple did it that way. Once you press those buttons you can click on Launchpad apps to delete them as quick as you wish.

What i mean by “Apple did it that way” is, once you’ve deleted an app from Launchpad there is no way to get it back unless you delete the DB and the Killall Dock from Terminal or logout/in. It’s suppose to be simple like iOS and without any complex menu items, hence the 3 button maneuver for any incorrect app icons. At least, that’s how I see it.

I didn’t even think there was a method for this until I did some googling and found some savvy users who had discovered it.

That said, I have no use for it and would a like a permanent way to remove it from the Dock. I keep apps in the Dock, in the Menu Bar or search them within a couple letters using Spotlight. I don’t need a touch-based OS setup for a desktop OS. I’m still on the fence as to whether this is viable for more novice users coming from iOS to Mac OS.

In DP2, you can remove the Launchpad icon from the Dock.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

"Show scroll bars: Automatically based on input device"

What if you have both a trackpad and a mouse?

The universe will collapse on itself. That or it'll just show the scroll bars.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

In DP2, you can remove the Launchpad icon from the Dock.

Sweet. My Lion Beta 2 DL borked. Probably from all the starts and stops I did, though some were from kernel panics. I?ll try to get a fresh install working tomorrow.