Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

How about
    • Turn phone off

• Replace battery with another.

• Turn on

You mean:
    • Turn phone off

• Replace decharged battery with charged battery.

• Turn on

• Turn phone off

• Turn on

• Turn phone off

• Charge battery

• Replace charged battery with decharged battery.

• Turn on

• Charge battery

Once for each charged battery for use, and once for each uncharged battery that you charge each night.

-or-

Battery extender case that will charge both batteries at the same time with absolutely no removal needed.

If you are going to buy additional batteries — and lets face it, most people have had absolutely no need for them over their many years of cellphone usage —*there are better options than complaining that Apple shockingly¡ doesn’t offer a removal battery case.

Quote:

And for list two, a simple $3 battery charger for your phone that accepts USB power works.

I have no idea what this is suppose to mean because phones are sold with chargers, and I can’t think of a single decent phone that isn’t sold without a USB charger, not to mention that it still ignores your batteries having to play musical chairs to charge. Hey, if you want to do that every day for 2 years go right ahead, but I’d rather have one device that I can charge with one cable, once in awhile.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You mean:
    • Turn phone off

• Turn on

• Turn phone off

• Turn on

• Turn phone off

• Charge battery

• Replace charged battery with decharged battery.

• Turn on

• Charge battery

Once for each charged battery for use, and once for each uncharged battery that you charge each night.

-or-

Battery extender case that will charge both batteries at the same time with absolutely no removal needed.

If you are going to buy additional batteries ? and lets face it, most people have had absolutely no need for them over their many years of cellphone usage ?*there are better options than complaining that Apple shockingly¡ doesn?t offer a removal battery case.

I have no idea what this is suppose to mean because phones are sold with chargers, and I can?t think of a single decent phone that isn?t sold without a USB charger, not to mention that it still ignores your batteries having to play musical chairs to charge. Hey, if you want to do that every day for 2 years go right ahead, but I?d rather have one device that I can charge with one cable, once in awhile.

Battery extenders are not an apple invention nor an apple exclusive.

And in my list I have two batteries.

I'm not talking about a usb charger, I'm talking about a simple $3 battery charger cradle that gets its input via USB to charge said spare battery.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    jacksonsjacksons Posts: 244member
    Quote:

You are somehow proceeding with the assumption that users with a phone with a replaceable battery cannot make it through the day on one battery. This is not the case.

Extra batteries and/or battery packs are for those special cases when you do need extra power.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Battery extenders are not an apple invention nor an apple exclusive.

Delusional as always. Exactly where did anyone in this thread say that such a thing? In fact, you?ll find comments about Mophie, a company that isn?t Apple (hint: you can tell because Apple isn?t spelled Mophie).

Quote:

And in my list I have two batteries. .

And your list ignores any charging of the batteries, but it?s not surprising you?ve failed to see the big picture. Your list gives the indication that your batteries are magically charged without any interaction by you. Good luck with that!

Quote:

I'm not talking about a usb charger, I'm talking about a simple $3 battery charger cradle that gets its input via USB to charge said spare battery.

You?re not talking about a USB charger despite clearly stating "via USB to charge?. So it?s a USB charger that doesn?t charge via USB? No wonder it costs $3.
  • Reply 25 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jacksons View Post

You are somehow proceeding with the assumption that users with a phone with a replaceable battery cannot make it through the day on one battery. This is not the case.

With the iPhone users are more likely to get through a day, but this isn’t the case with every single Android user I know. They’ve all come to me to figure out how to get a longer duration from their phone. Even after rooting and disabling pointless services they still tend to use a lot more in idle than the iPhone 4, which is absolutely great with battery life.

Quote:

Extra batteries and/or battery packs are for those special cases when you do need extra power.

Fucking brilliant¡ Who would have thought that extra batteries are for needing extra power?¡ :roll eyes:

Look, if you want a phone with a user-replaceable battery then the iPhone isn’t for you. Stop bitching about it! There are thousands of choices for you to pick from if you think that having some extra battery in your pocket makes you feel comfortable. You’re wrong to think that the world walks around with extra batteries in their pockets all day.

edit: If Apple doesn’t build it’s own external battery pack the rumors will start that Apple doesn’t make a user replaceable battery so they can make a profit on their Apple branded battery pack, despite the fact there have been 2 iPads, 4 iPhones, and dozens of iPod designs going back to 2001 that have never once had a user-replaceable battery.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

With the iPhone users are more likely to get through a day, but this isn?t the case with every single Android user I know. They?ve all come to me to figure out how to get a longer duration from their phone. Even after rooting and disabling pointless services they still tend to use a lot more in idle than the iPhone 4, which is absolutely great with battery life.

Fucking brilliant¡ Who would have thought that extra batteries are for needing extra power?¡ :roll eyes:

Look, if you want a phone with a user-replaceable battery then the iPhone isn?t for you. Stop bitching about it! There are thousands of choices for you to pick from if you think that having some extra battery in your pocket makes you feel comfortable. You?re wrong to think that the world walks around with extra batteries in their pockets all day.

nice post

• Reply 27 of 41
    Quote:

Which is not all day, every day like you are implying.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I'm sorry folks but I just cant see this as being patentable. Industry has been adding batteries to power supplies and computers for years, there is nothing new here.

Now that doesn't mean that Apple shouldn't apply its engineering skills to such a product. For example a battery backup unit with an integrated solar panel would be desirable. Ideally a device that rolls or folds up in to a reasonably compact package. Give it the outside dimensions (when folded up) of an iPad and we are good to go.

Oh and make it flexible enough that it can charge Apple products, like notebooks and cell phones, but also support standard USB charging profiles. Such a device needs to be flexible enough to solve all of my backup needs.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

as near as I can tell the InCase Snap Battery case has a built-in 30 pin dock connector on the bottom that does not require the case to be removed from the phone to use with most any existing dock device and or cable provided the extra width of the case fits into the dock of course.

yeah, that's actually a pretty good case.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jacksons View Post

Which is not all day, every day like you are implying.

So now your argument has shifted from “It’s not a big deal to switch out batteries for usage and charging” to “it’s not a big deal because you only go through that crap on the days you need it”?

So tell me, oh wise one, wy not just have an external battery pack that will charge your phone without taking it apart and do it without having to turn your phone off. It can be in your pocket, in your bag, or in your hand as it quickly charges and you’ll never have to miss a call or stop using the phone to recharge it. You can get small one or ones that will recharges your phone many, many times over between charges. This is what the sensible people are using instead of fiddling with extra internal batteries.
    Me, since I always have my MBP with me when i travel I can just charge from my 63.5 Wh battery to charge my phone multiple times over. But that’s a solution that suits my usage needs (though it hasn’t been necessary with the iPhone 4). Note that I’m not saying that all users should get a MBP to charge their phones or that Apple should supply MBP to all iPhones because I don’t think my particular wishes should be met by an international company simply because I find it useful or, in your case, because you think Apple should do it that way because some other vendor does it that way. hey,but if acting entitled makes you feel better about yourself then keep on bitching.
  • Reply 31 of 41
    Quote:

Delusional as always. Exactly where did anyone in this thread say that such a thing? In fact, you’ll find comments about Mophie, a company that isn’t Apple (hint: you can tell because Apple isn’t spelled Mophie).

I guess apple and their fucking patent application, dumb ass.

Quote:

And your list ignores any charging of the batteries, but it’s not surprising you’ve failed to see the big picture. Your list gives the indication that your batteries are magically charged without any interaction by you. Good luck with that!

I know! It's so fucking hard to charge batteries for you that you have to spell it out!

Don't forget to take the phone out of the pocket either!

Quote:

You’re not talking about a USB charger despite clearly stating "via USB to charge”. So it’s a USB charger that doesn’t charge via USB? No wonder it costs $3.

Don't play stupid with me. You've been good up until last week. Now it seems you joined everyone else in their intelligence level.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    Quote:

So now your argument has shifted from ?It?s not a big deal to switch out batteries for usage and charging? to ?it?s a big deal because you only go through that crap on the days you need it??

Uh.. no.

I am saying that for me, changing a battery has never been a problem and that you are making it a bigger deal than it is.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    Quote:

I guess apple and their fucking patent application, dumb ass

You might want to cut out your personal attacks before it?s too late. Then again, if you don?t mind switching batteries instead of simpler, more elegant solutions then I?m sure you don?t mind making new aliases over and over and over again.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    Quote:

You might want to cut out your personal attacks before it’s too late. Then again, if you don’t mind switching batteries instead of simpler, more elegant solutions then I’m sure you don’t mind making new aliases over and over and over again.

You first.

Quote:

Delusional as always.

And make a new handle? Sorry, not that desperate. And FYI, I already got an infraction for calling someone a "nerd" here, so it wouldn't surprise me.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    I've had experience of both the removable and non removable sides of the argument.

The iPhone 3GS is the first non-removable phone I've owned. It superseded a HTC TyTn II which I got fed up with.

It was annoying with the TyTn II having to slip the cover off, replace the battery, switch on and then call or go back to what you were doing when the battery ran out.

There was also the extra rigmarole of the desktop charger for the second battery.

However the key advantage of an external battery pack for the iPhone is that you can carry on using the device whilst it's charging.

Another advantage is that an external battery pack can be used for any present or future device, not just an iPhone, unlike a second battery specific to a particular model of phone.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Sure--I’d like a small battery in the charger. Plus a very tiny battery in each end of the charging cable. Plus one in each earbud. And in the mic pod. And one or two in the bumper case. It all adds up!
  • Reply 37 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

Another advantage is that an external battery pack can be used for any present or future device, not just an iPhone, unlike a second battery specific to a particular model of phone.

Nice! I forgot about that one. I imagine Apple will have to switch up their 30-pin connector at some point but it?s been a decade with iPods, iPhones and now iPads using it so people hat complain about that proprietary need to take a long, hard look at the connectors on cellphone batteries.

I wonder if they will wait for a proper optical+power transfer option before changing up the 30-pin connector or can optical be integrated into the un-used FireWire pins for extending that usage?
  • Reply 38 of 41
    OMG, that is some funny stuff people!

+2 for you!

-LanPhantom
  • Reply 39 of 41
    Quote:

Nice! I forgot about that one. I imagine Apple will have to switch up their 30-pin connector at some point but it?s been a decade with iPods, iPhones and now iPads using it so people hat complain about that proprietary need to take a long, hard look at the connectors on cellphone batteries.

I wonder if they will wait for a proper optical+power transfer option before changing up the 30-pin connector or can optical be integrated into the un-used FireWire pins for extending that usage?

Quote:

Delusional as always. Exactly where did anyone in this thread say that such a thing? In fact, you?ll find comments about Mophie, a company that isn?t Apple (hint: you can tell because Apple isn?t spelled Mophie).

And your list ignores any charging of the batteries, but it?s not surprising you?ve failed to see the big picture. Your list gives the indication that your batteries are magically charged without any interaction by you. Good luck with that!

You?re not talking about a USB charger despite clearly stating "via USB to charge?. So it?s a USB charger that doesn?t charge via USB? No wonder it costs $3.

Nice post. That made my night!

-LanPhantom
  • Reply 40 of 41
    hatunikehatunike Posts: 34member
    Of course ssprockets doesn't mind changing internal batteries, he changes usernames to Jacksons every time he posts so he feels like he has people who agree with him....

How about an even "smarter cover" for the ipad? put battery storage directly into the cover. The power flows through magnetic connection similar to magsafe. Long shot, but the cover could also include solar charging (larger surface area than an iphone, but i'm still skeptical of solar power being useful on a device like this). I'm guessing you could get a significant amount of battery storage in the thicker columns on the cover where it folds. The cover would just charge after your regular battery was completed.