Mac OS X 10.7 Lion sets, finds, corrects insecure folder permissions

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    d-ranged-range Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

Good Lord! The user-friendly version is a 3 key combination plus the mouse.

This is no way to make a user interface. I wish Apple would wake up to this.

The iPhone is immaculate but OSX is a mess.

To be fair, while I agree a three-key-modifier plus mouse click is not really what most people would consider 'obvious', the cmd-ctrl-option combination isn't actually that weird or inconsistent if you look at other applications. Many applications use the cmd-ctrl-option modifier to remove or clear items, such as XCode (cmd-ctrl-option-R anyone? ).

What I don't get is why it couldn't work just as in the iPhone simulator: by double clicking an item but holding the second click instead of releasing it, to get the 'wobbly icons' (ie: just like on a real device except with the mouse instead of your finger). I didn't try any of the Lion previews yet, maybe that also works for removing items from launchpad?
  • Reply 22 of 29
    scottyoscottyo Posts: 45member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Speaking of locking.

2) I really think the Sidebar in Finder and items in the Dock need to have a locking feature. I know too many novice users who remove items accidentally and don?t know how to add them back.

10.6.7 seems to have started requiring CMD be held down while dragging items out of sidebar.

1 down, 1 to go.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Speaking of locking.

1) I hope they allow you to remove LaunchPad from the Dock before this goes GM.

It's removable in DP2.

Quote:

PS: For those with erroneous or unwanted items in Launchpad, holding down Control+Option+Command and then clicking the item will cause it to disappear.

Holding down Option is enough in some cases. Which means that it's the same as in Dashboard.

But only in some cases. The Lion Installer app show an X when holding down the Option key, but my LogMeIn Uninstaller required Control+Option+Command+Clicking - no X was shown. Default Mac OS X apps can't be removed.

I think it's still a work in progress.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    I'm glad they're changing this. It's long overdue
  • Reply 25 of 29
    zc456zc456 Posts: 96member
    Can we just admit Aqua isn't Aqua anymore? Seems kinda redundant to keep calling it that at this point.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    d-ranged-range Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zc456 View Post

Can we just admit Aqua isn't Aqua anymore? Seems kinda redundant to keep calling it that at this point.

Yeah, now that the scroll-bars will change, literally the only thing left in OS X that's still at least a little bit reminiscent of Aqua is the blue buttons. Not saying that's a bad thing by the way, I never really liked how Aqua looked like someone spilled blue jelly beans over your desktop.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    I don't care what amazing features they put in - of which we'll have to wait until 10.7.8 for them all to work properly anyway - if there's no option to un-cutesify their applications (ie. Calendar) then I won't be upgrading.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    Sorry but I can't help you.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JDraden View Post

Just click on an App and hold to rearrange or delete Apps. Same way it's done on iOS.

(edit) sorry, I'm mistaken. This method only works to rearrange Apps, not to delete them.

Indeed, but what about refreshing the darn thing?

I've changed a bunch of application icons, and they refuse to show up as the new icons in Launchpad. Being able to refresh it would also automatically take care of the useless question mark links to applications you no longer have without having to delete them all manually.