Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: iCal 4.0 gets annual view, iPad appearance

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple's iCal 4.0 in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion's second Developer Preview adopts an iPad appearance and a new annual view.

Following the footsteps of Address Book 6.0, iCal 4.0 adopts an appearance similar to the iPad Calendar, with a leather bound top and pages that appear to be ripped off from the top edge.

Apart from the novelty "leather" menu bar, the overall look and feel of the app is nearly identical to the previous iCal, apart from a new Year view, which is both new to iCal and also to both the iPad and MobileMe versions of Apple's Calendar apps.

The iPad version of Calendar uses the same brown leather look as Lion's new iCal, but more closely matches the layout and design of the MobileMe Calendar, with a quick date selector at the bottom and a List view missing from Mac OS X's iCal.

Both the iPad and MobileMe calendars present a Day view as an open book, Week and Month views as a tear off calendar pad, and a List view that depicts upcoming event in a spiral bound section next to a torn-page Day view.

Lion's iCal presents the same torn page look for every view. Also different between the MobileMe and Lion version is the To Do list, which is represented as a tear off pad next to the calendar; in Lion's iCal, the To Do list is a conventional list that doesn't quite fit into the "torn page" appearance.

Other minor changes in iCal include the renaming of calendar sharing to "publishing," to better harmonize with the "subscribe" command to access a shared calendar.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 77
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Fake leather? On a computer screen? Um, no.
  • Reply 2 of 77
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    Am I the only one that thinks the leather-bound metaphor is wrong on a desktop OS? Brushed metal looks great compared to this :|
  • Reply 3 of 77
    roboduderobodude Posts: 273member
    Trying too hard to make digital objects represent their real life counterparts.

Btw, I noticed the favicon on Safari - have they got them working on DP2?
  • Reply 4 of 77
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    What do the event windows look like? Come on AI, that was the most complained about part of every version of iCal. First the silly drawer. Then the same limited UI, but in an even sillier bubble. Then finally in a barely functional mini-window. Why no description/screen shot of this part of iCal?

If Apple didn't fix the event/invite window, then I'd suggest they need to spend far less time on fake leather title bars and other iOS candy and focus on making the product more functional. I see a lot of resources being used on non-functional eye candy that could have been used on something useful like a better event window, better snoozing, or, dare I mention it, keeping Rosestta.
  • Reply 5 of 77
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Fake leather? On a computer screen? Um, no.

I’m not a fan of mimicking real world items when it’s not necessary, but tan leather on a black and silver, or white Mac looks tacky.

At least with iCal and Addressbook this is purely aesthetic, and doesn’t affect its usability. I keep wishing Apple would dumb their Calculator app for something more useful like Soulver.

Soulver is a great example bringing the usability to a virtual tool without feeling a need for making it work like its real-world counterpart.
    That said, I understand the decision to bring iOS-like features that have been proven to work with users to the Mac to help pull more ‘PC’ users to the Mac platform. Let’s hope this is only a trial and that they will at lear have an option for a different design by the GM release.
  • Reply 6 of 77
    Please tell me this is some sick April Fools joke.... :vomit:
  • Reply 7 of 77
    Usually I like Apple's graphics....I really like how the current OSX is rather subdued and elegant.

I've never really liked the "wood" in GarageBand or the bookshelf on the iPad and iPhone. But perhaps I just have to get used to it.

I hope we can have a choice of using the leather "skin" or stay with the muted grays and blues of OSX.

Best
  • Reply 8 of 77
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Waiting for the Buffalo Bill hack for all this Lion faux-leather just so it can be even tackier.
  • Reply 9 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Usually I like Apple's graphics....I really like how the current OSX is rather subdued and elegant.

I've never really liked the "wood" in GarageBand or the bookshelf on the iPad and iPhone. But perhaps I just have to get used to it.

I hope we can have a choice of using the leather "skin" or stay with the muted grays and blues of OSX.

Best

Unfortunately a great preponderance of Americans dislike clean, modern esthetics. Most prefer the woody, Early American stuff from 250 years ago. I don't know if Apple uses focus groups, but the presence of wood in the various apps tells me they might have done so. I can't fathom Jonathon Ive signing off on such a thing, but guess it's not really his purview.
  • Reply 10 of 77
    I hope this is a joke, that design is embarrassingly tacky.
  • Reply 11 of 77
    rtd2870rtd2870 Posts: 10member
    I think it's cute how many people have thought this is real. They plastered Apr 1 all over this... come on...
  • Reply 12 of 77
    fenbersfenbers Posts: 1member
    What I'm eagerly awaiting is word whether or not the new iCal will have journaling. The iCalendar spec allows for this, but Apple has never implemented it, apparently. What I need is the ability to post little date-based notes on my calendar, such as "Changed the furnace filters", "fixed the roof leak". I don't want these to be treated as appointments (which have specific start times, durations, locations, and alarms, etc.), and I don't want these treated as all-day events because they will show up as holidays. I'm hopeful that iCal in Lion will allow this long-awaited journaling feature. Does it?

Rainman
  • Reply 13 of 77
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by burlesona View Post

I hope this is a joke, that design is embarrassingly tacky.

This has AFD written all over it...
  • Reply 14 of 77
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    Real objects make sense on in iPad or other touch device where you're interacting with them as if they are real objects. But on a desktop OS with a mouse it seems foolish. At least tone down the silly stitching.
  • Reply 15 of 77
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    I agree they need to clean up the look of the header.

However, it should be cleaned up on BOTH iOS and OS X.

Make them consistent across both platforms.
  • Reply 16 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtd2870 View Post

I think it's cute how many people have thought this is real. They plastered Apr 1 all over this... come on...

We chose to ignore the joke and turn the thread into a discussion of imitating natural materials in computer interface design. Even if the iCal thing is a spoof, the leather and wood exist in the iPad. That is not honest design IMO.

And if it is a joke it sure isn't a very good one.
  • Reply 17 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtd2870 View Post

1) Because Apple has a history of releasing betas so that they can pull on over some people on Internet a couple days later.

2) April 1 is plastered all over these sites with these svreenshots because it's a date that makes up 1/365 of the year. Tomorrow sites will plaster April 2 due to the chronological nature of time as we know it. It's funny that way.
  • Reply 18 of 77
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Try get your Birthday Calendar onto your iPad from iCal through Mobile me. Now there's a situation that actually looks like an April Fools joke.
  • Reply 19 of 77
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Can't wait for 10.7!!!
  • Reply 20 of 77
    addicted44addicted44 Posts: 830member
    <Runs to the bathroom and throws up>

Ugghhh....Thats okay in Full Screen view (which is why things like this look great on the iPad, which essentially becomes the app). But to have it in Windowed mode, where it clashes atrociously with other apps' consistent Window UIs is just a bad idea.

At the end of the day though, this is just plain fugly.