Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: iCal 4.0 gets annual view, iPad appearance

Comments

• Reply 21 of 77
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Ahhhhhh. This is better
  • Reply 22 of 77
    This was reported on MacRumors yesterday. http://www.macrumors.com/2011/03/31/...look-for-ical/

Maybe AppleInsider decided to make it appear April Fools-ee to highlight the disagreeable look without outright saying it.
  • Reply 23 of 77
    camroidv27camroidv27 Posts: 523member
    Yes! I love the new look! I hope Apple uses the UI idea for the rest of the built in Applications. Mail will look like an Envelope, iChat would look like a Phone, etc. Apple's got the brains behind design! Way to go! Bring on the awesome new looks in Lion!
  • Reply 24 of 77
    addicted44addicted44 Posts: 830member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

I don't know if Apple uses focus groups

Steve Jobs came out really strongly against focus groups. I strongly doubt they use them.

Although Apple is the pinnacle of design in the Tech world, they are not above coming up with some terrible designs themselves. Especially when they are in their "realism" phase (they keep yoyo-ing between minimalistic, and realistic designs). A classic example was the old Quicktime (?) volume control knob. A design fiasco.
  • Reply 25 of 77
    They need a view that allows you to see a 2-3 week period of time that straddles two months on a single screen. Even better, they could mimic the month view in Outlook which is a continuous scroll bar allowing the user to scroll through the year without flipping pages. Are there any good third-party Mac calendar apps that do this?
  • Reply 26 of 77
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    This faux leather look scares me. Not just because it's butt ugly but because Apple thinks it looks good.

What scares me even more is that it's going to make it into the final product because there's no way to get feedback to Apple.
  • Reply 27 of 77
    ohcomeonohcomeon Posts: 30member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Please tell me this is some sick April Fools joke.... :vomit:

Probably is. All the photos say April Fools!
  • Reply 28 of 77
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Fugly.
  • Reply 29 of 77
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Cool.
  • Reply 30 of 77
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

This faux leather look scares me. Not just because it's butt ugly but because Apple thinks it looks good.

Yup, it's horrifying. I thought this was an April Fools until I saw that Macrumors reported it on 31st March How can this be from the same company that makes the iPhone 4 and the MacBook Pro?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

What scares me even more is that it's going to make it into the final product because there's no way to get feedback to Apple.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html
  • Reply 31 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

What do the event windows look like? Come on AI, that was the most complained about part of every version of iCal. First the silly drawer. Then the same limited UI, but in an even sillier bubble. Then finally in a barely functional mini-window. Why no description/screen shot of this part of iCal?

If Apple didn't fix the event/invite window, then I'd suggest they need to spend far less time on fake leather title bars and other iOS candy and focus on making the product more functional. I see a lot of resources being used on non-functional eye candy that could have been used on something useful like a better event window, better snoozing, or, dare I mention it, keeping Rosestta.

AND, what about full screen view? Does it get rid of the horrible faux leather? I sure hope there is a preference to revert the view but I don't have high hopes. Now there is a third thing about Lion I don't like - iCal, Address Book, and the new Cover Flow-like navigation in Finder icon view. Eh, I like the other 100 or so things I have seen.
  • Reply 32 of 77
    rtd2870rtd2870 Posts: 10member
    oh oh oh!! if you LOVED ical 4.0, you'll love google motion!

O.o
  • Reply 33 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtd2870 View Post

I think it's cute how many people have thought this is real. They plastered Apr 1 all over this... come on...

Ummm.....it is. It was reported widely yesterday and many developers with the preview can confirm this.
  • Reply 34 of 77
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Well at least there's a year view. A minor positive in Lion for the grown-ups.
  • Reply 35 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by curtwilliams View Post

They need a view that allows you to see a 2-3 week period of time that straddles two months on a single screen. Even better, they could mimic the month view in Outlook which is a continuous scroll bar allowing the user to scroll through the year without flipping pages. Are there any good third-party Mac calendar apps that do this?

Indeed yes, there's a real need to be able to scroll back and forth across the actual period of time you need to look at, rather than clicking between months. If your event crosses the end of the month it is hard to see it without being able to smoothly scroll.
  • Reply 36 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

What do the event windows look like? Come on AI, that was the most complained about part of every version of iCal. First the silly drawer. Then the same limited UI, but in an even sillier bubble. Then finally in a barely functional mini-window. Why no description/screen shot of this part of iCal?

If Apple didn't fix the event/invite window, then I'd suggest they need to spend far less time on fake leather title bars and other iOS candy and focus on making the product more functional. I see a lot of resources being used on non-functional eye candy that could have been used on something useful like a better event window, better snoozing, or, dare I mention it, keeping Rosestta.

Don't worry, they'll delete all your events in the data-migration.
  • Reply 37 of 77
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Waiting for the Buffalo Bill hack for all this Lion faux-leather just so it can be even tackier.

Can't wait for all the Android fans to brag about how Android will have fake leather soon, too. And theirs is better because it's Open.
  • Reply 38 of 77
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Can't wait for all the Android fans to brag about how Android will have fake leather soon, too. And theirs is better because it's Open.

They have so many skins that they already brag about.
    Note: These are screenshots someone was likely boosting about to a friend.
  • Reply 39 of 77
    deletedelete Posts: 48member
    Incredibly fugly. Is skeuomorphic design part of the HIG?
  • Reply 40 of 77
    I thought the Publish and Subscribe ref was the funniest bit of this. It actually got me for a moment. Went into a time warp or something. Excellent mock-up guys.