Comments

• Reply 61 of 77
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

SOT

Since this is Apr 1...

Here's an interesting quote from an analyst:

"I’ve previously estimated that Apple could sell up to 100 million iPad 2s in its first year if supply can be cranked up sufficiently."

The article is here:

Apple’s Ability to Produce iPad 2s

I thought I was way out there -- when I predicted 60 million iPads in CY 2011 (All versions).

We're looking at 40 million iPad 2 (excluding iPad 1) tops, especially with the Japanese situation. I know people are saying, well, this and that components are not affected, but there's a heck of a lot of rerouting and adjustments still to be made in Greater China and Japan across the board.

Apple could easily sell through 3 million iPad 2s a month, it is probably shooting for this. That puts it at 36 million max for the year. If you take it that they are still producing iPad 1s at 1 million a month for a few months for all the non-iPad 2 countries, then we're looking at 50 million iPads total in CY 2011 for all versions.

Anything beyond 50 million just doesn't sound right. My 2 cents. Those blog articles are well, nothing captivating anyway from what little I've read.
  • Reply 62 of 77
    dahacoukdahacouk Posts: 74member
    Vegans will be leaving OS X in their droves! ;-)
  • Reply 63 of 77
    Why does this article and everyone else here refer to this as iCal 4.0 when I'm running OS X 10.6.7 and my iCal version is 4.0.4?

• Reply 64 of 77
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Unfortunately a great preponderance of Americans dislike clean, modern esthetics. Most prefer the woody, Early American stuff from 250 years ago. I don't know if Apple uses focus groups, but the presence of wood in the various apps tells me they might have done so. I can't fathom Jonathon Ive signing off on such a thing, but guess it's not really his purview.

Why does everything have to look cold and plain? This isn't minority report.
  • Reply 65 of 77
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by badtz View Post

Am I the only one that thinks the leather-bound metaphor is wrong on a desktop OS? Brushed metal looks great compared to this :|

I think this is horrible look and feel for desktop or any computer app. Come on, we don't use wall calendars any more exactly because we have computers everywhere. It's just silly and gimmicky to do this and I'm honestly surprised Apple would do this.
  • Reply 66 of 77
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    But why hasn't the Stickies app in Mac OS X been re-named to Notes? Also, could someone please clarify for me what the number badge looks like in Lion? I forgot what it's called but you like when you get new email in Mail or a new IM in iChat it has a number in the upper right hand corner? I wonder if that is unified with the iOS look to it.
  • Reply 67 of 77
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

But why hasn't the Stickies app in Mac OS X been re-named to Notes? Also, could someone please clarify for me what the number badge looks like in Lion? I forgot what it's called but you like when you get new email in Mail or a new IM in iChat it has a number in the upper right hand corner? I wonder if that is unified with the iOS look to it.

1) The badges still look different between Mac OS and iOS. I didn?t even know they were different until made mention of it.

2) Stickies are a different app from Notes. Stickies backs up to MobileMe, but is not accessible or synced to iDevices. In SL and Lion Notes are part of Mail.app and they auto sync between iDevices? albeit with frequent errors.

3) It would be nice if you could have Notes show up in Stickies but I doubt we?ll see that happen any time soon.
  • Reply 68 of 77
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) The badges still look different between Mac OS and iOS. I didn?t even know they were different until made mention of it.

2) Stickies are a different app from Notes. Stickies backs up to MobileMe, but is not accessible or synced to iDevices. In SL and Lion Notes are part of Mail.app and they auto sync between iDevices? albeit with frequent errors.

3) It would be nice if you could have Notes show up in Stickies but I doubt we?ll see that happen any time soon.

You would think the badges would look the same. Right? I mean if they are trying to unify the UI.

I understand what you're saying about Notes and Mail. I get notes I wrote on my iPhone all the time in Mail.app
  • Reply 69 of 77
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

That isn't what modern is today. Try reading a copy of Dwell or Wallpaper or Metropolis.
  • Reply 70 of 77
    Doesn't April Fools end at lunchtime or is that some sort of unwritten rule?
  • Reply 71 of 77
    Dislike the 'leather' look -- it's not a desktop calendar, so why would you make it look like one? I love eye candy, but I don't like software to mimic what it is not.
  • Reply 72 of 77
    capoeira4ucapoeira4u Posts: 160member
    So is Apple ever going to improve the To Do List? It totally lacks functionality if you compare it with other 3rd party task app, and worst of all it's pretty useless because it can't sync with the iPhone. I still have to rely on 3rd party paid-apps like Things and sync service like ToodleDo to handle all my tasks. It's a shame that Apple hasn't improved much on their productivity app for business users.

It baffles me though, that all the comments thus far is about the leather UI. Am I the only person in this forum who cares about productivity?
  • Reply 73 of 77
    _hawkeye__hawkeye_ Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sideshowlol View Post

I thought the Publish and Subscribe ref was the funniest bit of this. It actually got me for a moment. Went into a time warp or something. Excellent mock-up guys.

Check out the Calendar menu of your current iCal.app
  • Reply 74 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Graphic designers hate colorful adornments to windows because they detract from the designs they are working on.
  • Reply 75 of 77
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Other minor changes in iCal include the renaming of calendar sharing to "publishing," to better harmonize with the "subscribe" command to access a shared calendar.

Oh, you mean just like in the current version?
  • Reply 76 of 77
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Great, this would go great with my faux leather case for my Macbook Pro And to wear a leather jacket and pants just to piss off those vegans for Fools Day.
  • Reply 77 of 77
    There a lot of people out there who don't like leather (not me though, I've even got a leather bed ), but anyway there are such people and they'll probably not appreciate using iCal with a leather look. Such people can often be found wearing bright woolly jumpers, sandals and Greenpeace badges...