iOS 4.3.1 jailbreak released as Toyota advertises on hacked iPhones

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hackers have released an untethered jailbreak for the latest version of Apple's mobile operating system, iOS 4.3.1, for all devices but the iPad 2. And jailbreaking has caught the attention of Toyota, which has created a custom iPhone theme to promote its Scion brand.

The iOS Dev-Team on Monday released its latest hack to jailbreak iOS devices, with "PwnageTool 4.3" and "redsn0w 0.9.6rc9" both available for download. The "untethered" jailbreak, which does not require a device to be connected to a computer via USB every time it restarts, works on the iPhone 3GS, GSM iPhone 4, third- and fourth-generation iPod touch, the first-generation iPad, and the second-generation Apple TV.

"The reason the untether won't work as-is on the iPad 2 is that it requires a bootrom or iBoot-level exploit to install, and the iPad 2 is not susceptible to either the limera1n or SHAtter bootroom exploits," the team explained on its official website.

Jailbreaking is a process that allows users to run code and make changes to the iOS mobile operating system that are unauthorized by Apple. One popular use is custom themes and skins that change the look and feel of an iPhone or iPad.

One such skin was released last week for the first time by a major corporation: Toyota released a theme for its Scion 2011 vehicle in Cydia, an alternative application store available on jailbroken devices. Users can find the content by searching for "Scion 2011 Theme" in the Cydia store.

According to ModMyi, the theme was actually developed by Scion, specifically for jailbroken devices, as a promotional tool to push its vehicles. In addition, the company is also running an advertising campaign within Cydia that points to the theme so users can download it.

The report claimed that between 8 and 9 percent of iOS-based devices are jailbroken, and 1.5 million unique users log into Cydia daily, for a total of 4 million to 5 million weekly. "Saurik," who manages Cydia, has estimated that there are 10 million to 15 million jailbroken iOS devices in the wild.

The appearance of an official advertisement from a major corporation will likely add some credibility to the jailbreaking community and Cydia in the mainstream. Jailbreakers also received a boost from the U.S. government last July, when the process was declared legal.

While jailbreaking can be used for entirely legal purposes such as themes and unauthorized applications, it can also be used for illegal purposes, such as stealing software from Apple's App Store. That reason, along with security concerns and other issues, has caused Apple to fight the practice.

However, Apple also removed a jailbreak detection feature from iOS 4.2 in December. The application programming interface, which first appeared in iOS 4.0 last June, had allowed third-party mobile device management applications to check for unauthorized modifications to system files.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    The iOS 4.3.1 jailbreak is announced days after the software comes out, but the iPod Touch 2g MC Model is still not jailbreakable. Redsn0w beta 4 supported it, but the dev-team subsequently blocked it in later releases, and the functionality has not been added back since then.

Sucks for me.

Sent from my iPod Touch 2,1 MC Model
  • Reply 2 of 58
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The report claimed that between 8 and 9 percent of iOS-based devices are jailbroken, and 1.5 million unique users log into Cydia daily, fora total of 4 million to 5 million weekly. "Saurik," who manages Cydia, has estimated that there are 10 million to 15 million jailbroken iOS devices in the wild.

That's the first time I've seen AI mention the number of jailbroken devices. That's a fairly healthy and surprising percentage of iPhone/iPad owners who aren't entirely happy with the choices Apple officially offers. Very similar to the percentage of Android devices running "unofficial" versions of their devices firmware, which has been assumed to be indicative of a poorly designed Android ecosystem, or geeky owners dissimilar to Apple's. With jailbreaking not the easiest thing to do for those lacking technical skills, the number of owners wishing for a bit more than Apple offers but afraid to try it could be much higher, don't you think?.
  • Reply 3 of 58
    Did Apple make my iPod Touch 2,1 MC Model unjailbreakable? Or is the dev-team just lazy?

Just checked other JB teams. None can JB my iPod Touch
  • Reply 4 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by champak256 View Post

Did Apple make my iPod Touch 2,1 MC Model unjailbreakable? Or is the dev-team just lazy?

Lazy? Are you serious? What is wrong with you?
  • Reply 5 of 58
    Themes would be an awesome addition to the App Store. Apple and devs would make a fortune with them. It's really the only thing left I miss about jailbreaking.
  • Reply 6 of 58
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sparkleytone View Post

Lazy? Are you serious? What is wrong with you?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by champak256 View Post

lol , it fits with the mentality of all the jailbreakers I know, they all want to have everything for nothing. Every single one I know jailbreak to pirate software. It has nothing to do with some kind of insatisfaction over the Apple ecosystem other than wanting to have apps for free.

imo at 1$ to 10$ an app, they are super cheap. Its not like you have to pay 50$+ per app like in the PC world.
  • Reply 7 of 58
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Rather unprofessional of Toyota. I'm surprised.
  • Reply 8 of 58
    After reading the first two paragraphs of this article several times, and thinking of the various ways that I could re-write it so that anyone reading it would have a chance of understanding what it is trying to say, it occurred to me that the problem is possibly that English is not Sam Oliver's native language. Perhaps. If not, then I am unable to comprehend how he could have received a passing grade in high school writing classes, much less manage to pass any college-level course in English-language composition. It isn't just bad. It is simply horrific. I know that this is just a web site and not the Wall Street Journal, but come on people, there has to be a standard to be upheld for quality of writing, even on web sites such as this.
  • Reply 9 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

That's the first time I've seen AI mention the number of jailbroken devices. That's a fairly healthy and surprising percentage of iPhone/iPad owners who aren't entirely happy with the choices Apple officially offers ....... don't you think?.

From my experiance, the main reason for Jailbreaking is to run MiFi, this in my opinion is NOT an Apple decision, I'm sure it would have been AT&T who enforced "no tethering".
  • Reply 10 of 58
    hezetationhezetation Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaiser_soze View Post

After reading the first two paragraphs of this article several times, and thinking of the various ways that I could re-write it so that anyone reading it would have a chance of understanding what it is trying to say, it occurred to me that the problem is possibly that English is not Sam Oliver's native language. Perhaps. If not, then I am unable to comprehend how he could have received a passing grade in high school writing classes, much less manage to pass any college-level course in English-language composition. It isn't just bad. It is simply horrific. I know that this is just a web site and not the Wall Street Journal, but come on people, there has to be a standard to be upheld for quality of writing, even on web sites such as this.

Watch out for those run-on sentences, not good for your health, likely to give you an ulcer, probably this one is driving you absolutely crazy right now, maybe even come hunt me down & smack a big red F on my forhead, to which I would say "I like it ALOT!"

• Reply 11 of 58
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    When I get iPhone 5 I might jail break my iPod Touch just for fun.
  • Reply 12 of 58
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steverance View Post

From my experiance, the main reason for Jailbreaking is to run MiFi, this in my opinion is NOT an Apple decision, I'm sure it would have been AT&T who enforced "no tethering".

Yeah, but only in the USA do you have to pay more money to tether, and even that is changing as we speak.

The only jailbreakers I've ever met don't *say* they did it to steal apps, but basically that's why they do it. Every one of them has hundreds and hundreds of apps, none paid for.

I think a lot of folks look at the iPhone as being able to do all these cool things and they feel the functionality of the apps is a part of that. That way they feel justified in stealing apps because they are just "making their iPhone work like in the ad," (or like the next guy's iPhone). They feel all that functionality provided by the apps is simply theirs by right of the fact that they own an iPhone.

Personally, I've only come up against something that would cause me to jailbreak a few times and each time Apple simply added the feature in just *before* I was going to jailbreak. For instance if I wasn't "allowed" to tether, or had to pay more money for the privilege, I would feel justified in jailbreaking because that would be an immoral move on the part of the carriers, but with the personal hotspot being supported (everywhere but the USA that is), there is no need anymore.
  • Reply 13 of 58
    Remember though, after June 30th, a lot of the 'subscription apps' could disappear if they can't adjust to Apple's new policy and people would probably have to start sideloading them into iOS devices, which means you'd need jailbreaking more than ever.
  • Reply 14 of 58
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Yeah, but only in the USA do you have to pay more money to tether, and even that is changing as we speak.

Yep I have a 500mg / month package with Telus in Canada and personal hotspot works. And its super easy to used with the ipad. imo they should not charge you more for it since you are cap by your donwload limit anyway.
  • Reply 15 of 58
    That theme is an abomination. It literally offends me to look at it.
  • Reply 16 of 58
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The report claimed that between 8 and 9 percent of iOS-based devices are jailbroken, and 1.5 million unique users log into Cydia daily, fora total of 4 million to 5 million weekly. "Saurik," who manages Cydia, has estimated that there are 10 million to 15 million jailbroken iOS devices in the wild.

It would be interesting to see how they come up with that number. Obviously, they have a vested interest in making it seem as high as possible.

I'd be surprised if it's even 1/4 of the number they cite. I know a lot of iOS users and don't know a single one who has jail broken their device.
  • Reply 17 of 58
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

Remember though, after June 30th, a lot of the 'subscription apps' could disappear if they can't adjust to Apple's new policy and people would probably have to start sideloading them into iOS devices, which means you'd need jailbreaking more than ever.

I don't think so. The choice between 15 million users who don't like to pay for their apps vs 150+ million users who don't mind paying is clear.
  • Reply 18 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I don't think so. The choice between 15 million users who don't like to pay for their apps vs 150+ million users who don't mind paying is clear.

What are you saying? I jailbreak but I pay for every single app.
  • Reply 19 of 58
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Heh. It's funny that you think you understand anything about jailbreaking.

No, Lion Autocorrect, jailbreaking is one word...
  • Reply 20 of 58
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbro1999 View Post

What are you saying? I jailbreak but I pay for every single app.

can you speak for the rest of the 15 million users? There were many articles about developers frustration with high rate of pirated apps and the only people who can pirate apps are those who jailbreak. I am not saying all jailbreakers pirate apps but the majority of them do.