iOS 4.3.1 jailbreak released as Toyota advertises on hacked iPhones

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Heh. It's funny that you think you understand anything about jailbreaking.

No, Lion Autocorrect, jailbreaking is one word...

Yeah.. you need to be a rocket scientist to understand jailbreaking
  • Reply 22 of 58
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

...the only people who can pirate apps are those who jailbreak.

Uh, or anyone with XCode.
  • Reply 23 of 58
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    That?s one of the nicer skins I?ve seen. I?m glad to see that Toyota is thinking outside the box. I have to assume that Scion is marketed to a younger generation since I don?t see skins being applied often to other user groups.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It would be interesting to see how they come up with that number. Obviously, they have a vested interest in making it seem as high as possible.

I'd be surprised if it's even 1/4 of the number they cite. I know a lot of iOS users and don't know a single one who has jail broken their device.

I don?t see any reason to believe it?s not accurate. There are plenty of ways they can count. Like updates to Cydia when a new version is released, unique access IDs, or even the storage of SHSH blobs to Cydia when a new iOS version appears.

Anecdotally speaking, pretty much everyone I know has jailbroken their iDevices. I don?t know of any them that have downloaded pirated App Store apps. Personally, I?ve purchased the $20 MyWI app and $5 in-app purchase for automatic BT tethering, along with a couple other cheaper apps. Cydia isn?t as nice as App Store, but it?s nearly as convenient.
  • Reply 24 of 58
    Quote:

Uh, or anyone with XCode.

Xcode by itself won't do it. You will need to be a paid iOS developer or at least your device registered with an iOS developer with the provisioning profile. I also believe this doesn't even work with Xcode 4.
  • Reply 25 of 58
    Quote:

I don't think so. The choice between 15 million users who don't like to pay for their apps vs 150+ million users who don't mind paying is clear.

There is a lot more to JBing besides the option of stealing apps. Despite Jailbreaking being the first step toward stealing apps, it?s another level of complexity and difficulty that I?d think most don?t wan to deal with. Apps from Cydia can be more costly than App Store, but they also have less customers to sell to. I gladly paid $8 for Lock Info so I can have a usable lock screen. I?ve paid about $50 to developers through Cydia using my PayPal account and have no stolen apps. I don?t even know the process to get a stolen app on my iPhone.
  • Reply 26 of 58
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaiser_soze View Post

...it occurred to me that the problem is possibly that English is not Sam Oliver's native language.

Haven't you noticed the way several AI writers often drop in English idioms that don't quite work?

"While the executive's comments should certainly be taken with a grain of salt..."

"Apple coyly refused to address some technical specifications..."

"Jobs' words rang true this spring when Motorola revealed a $799 price tag..."

Not exactly wrong, but in every case Just a little off. This happens all the time in the writing on AI. It makes me think these writers are either not native American speakers, or are, at the very least, overeager idiom-droppers.

(I image the authors are given a sheet of the top 120 American idioms with rough definitions and are told to add at least one per article. Possibly not true, but that's the sense I get...)
  • Reply 27 of 58
    I've known three camps of jailbreakers. One was about themes and customization in general, second was about carrier hopping, the other all about free software.

While the percentage is small compared to non jb's all eventually showed me how they could just get anything for free.

I never have, though drilling through settings has nearly coaxed me over and while I have paid for all my apps I'll be honest and say that if I did jbreak I would pirate to test which app in a category is best. Say like office apps or picasa clients cause it gets damn expensive having to buy them all to see which one works well.

I would buy the one I chose because I use it for business, if I am going to make money from using apps then so should the people who make them. If they were all free with in app purchasing to remove ads/watermarks/limits then I'd never bother to pirate at all cause wouldn't need to.

Ultimately as with adding features, they need to remove the reasons to pirate, not that will stop someone who wants it free regardless. For me even on the desktop I only use what I purchase, years back I'd pirate everything but screw it, I know what it takes to code and if I am too busy or lazy to make it myself.. well I'll pay someone else to do it for me.
  • Reply 28 of 58
    oskiooskio Posts: 60member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Rather unprofessional of Toyota. I'm surprised.

So Toyota advertising a extremely customizable car on a customized phone is unprofessional.....or genius?
  • Reply 29 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There is a lot more to JBing besides the option of stealing apps. Despite Jailbreaking being the first step toward stealing apps, it’s another level of complexity and difficulty that I’d think most don’t wan to deal with. Apps from Cydia can be more costly than App Store, but they also have less customers to sell to. I gladly paid $8 for Lock Info so I can have a usable lock screen. I’ve paid about $50 to developers through Cydia using my PayPal account and have no stolen apps. I don’t even know the process to get a stolen app on my iPhone.

I am sure there are others like you who pay. But almost every jailbreaker I've meet brag about how they can get free apps and how non-jailbreakers are suckers for actually paying for their apps. I've experienced this more when traveling outside of the US.
  • Reply 30 of 58
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

Xcode by itself won't do it. You will need to be a paid iOS developer or at least your device registered with an iOS developer with the provisioning profile. I also believe this doesn't even work with Xcode 4.

Then how was I able to get iMovie on my 1st gen iPad? Putting a hacked .ipa file on a device would work exactly the same way. Piracy doesn't mean jailbreaking.
  • Reply 31 of 58
    Quote:

I am sure there are others like you who pay. But almost every jailbreaker I've meet brag about how they can get free apps and how non-jailbreakers are suckers for actually paying for their apps. I've experienced this more when Ii travel outside of the US.

I’m sure there are plenty that Jailbreak just to steal apps, but some that might just use that as a selling point without actually doing it. Talking about paying 2x as much on average for apps from Cydia (even though you can’t can’t get on the App Store) isn’t going to sound impressive.
  • Reply 32 of 58
    Quote:

Then how was I able to get iMovie on my 1st gen iPad? Putting a hacked .ipa file on a device would work exactly the same way. Piracy doesn't mean jailbreaking.

You mean to tell me you did that without installing a signed provisioning profile from Apple on your iPad and without registering in an iOS developers account?
  • Reply 33 of 58
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Rather unprofessional of Toyota. I'm surprised.

Agreed, extremely surprised.

Maybe because Woz told them they had a software problem, not a gas pedal problem.
  • Reply 34 of 58
    Wow, that is one fugly home screen ... should become a poster child for how to slow down navigation by about 200%. Nothing like a monochromatic color scheme to render a lot info bland, tasteless, and confusing.

That said, the ability to make a more customizable, theme-able home screen would be a great addition for us non-jailbroken tinkers. ... even if a lot of the results will be like this sorry example.
  • Reply 35 of 58
    Toyota, don't give up your day job, because you are really terrible at UI design.
  • Reply 36 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by battiato1981 View Post

Nothing like a monochromatic color scheme to render a lot info bland, tasteless, and confusing.

*cough* iTunes *cough*
  • Reply 37 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

*cough* iTunes *cough*

At least it's easier to figure out than Windows Media Player.
  • Reply 38 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by garyemery View Post

That theme is an abomination. It literally offends me to look at it.

I totally agree. The iPad interface is a thing of beauty, why would anybody want to replace it with that substandard, horrendous monstrosity?
  • Reply 39 of 58
    jb510jb510 Posts: 129member
    I suspect pirating apps is NOT actually the primary reason people Jailbreak there phone, especially since installing something like Installous to install pirated apps is an extra and difficult step beyond jailbreaking in the first place.

I suspect the top 3 reasons for jailbreaking are #1 to unlock for international use #2 to enable tethering without paying extra #3 installing software NOT available in the all store (themes, utilities that use private APIs). Well pirate apps might be in the top three but I still would guess it's the #1... Just guessing though.

Saurik would have the real number of daily users since Cydia calls home for updates when launched and to save SHSH blobs. With those two things figuring out total users and daily users would be trivial. I doubt however there is any reliable way to determine how many people install tethering software (mifi, pdanet, etc...) vs a pirate repo (sinful/Installous) vs unlock (ultrasnow).
  • Reply 40 of 58
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That?s one of the nicer skins I?ve seen. I?m glad to see that Toyota is thinking outside the box. I have to assume that Scion is marketed to a younger generation since I don?t see skins being applied often to other user groups.

I don?t see any reason to believe it?s not accurate. There are plenty of ways they can count. Like updates to Cydia when a new version is released, unique access IDs, or even the storage of SHSH blobs to Cydia when a new iOS version appears.

Anecdotally speaking, pretty much everyone I know has jailbroken their iDevices. I don?t know of any them that have downloaded pirated App Store apps. Personally, I?ve purchased the $20 MyWI app and $5 in-app purchase for automatic BT tethering, along with a couple other cheaper apps. Cydia isn?t as nice as App Store, but it?s nearly as convenient.

Does your MyWi work OK with wireless tethering for your iPad2? Why do you also need Bluetooth tethering (purchased inside which app?), if you already have wifi tethering through MyWi? I'm going to try this myself, so would like to know. Also would like to know if you've gotten the dreaded text message from ATT, warning you of your scandalous activity.