Strong sales make Apple's 'quasi-tablet' MacBook Air a $2.2B-per-year product

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    What I'm curious about as an AAPL shareholder is what is keeping AAPL from rebounding after the Japan tsunami like the other stocks? It fell to 330 from a high of 360 and is now around 340.
  • Reply 22 of 51
    kubekube Posts: 40member
    I think the air/ipad convergence is likely.

My daughter, a college student, has had the 11 inch air since november. Its the optimal student computer. I have an ipad, and its great, but can't be the only computer for most of us.

The 11-inch air is positioned to be the fore-runner of a fusion device. Seems likely it could run iOS on top of MacOS, could add a touch screen, and, possibly, fold away the keyboard. Or, perhaps, eliminate the keyboard but link to bluetooth keyboard (and larger monitor) for extensive writing.

In mac mode this device could do the heavy lifting and use heavy-duty mac apps.

In iPad mode it would be best for reading and travel (3G).

The only products in the android-tablet arena that are remotely appealing and the ones that dual boot android and windows. And this is clearly the direction windows hopes to go (having messed up the touch interface for years). Apple is clearly thinking this direction and, when the fusion device is introduced, will do it right.
  • Reply 23 of 51
    srangersranger Posts: 473member
    I just bought a 13" Macbook Pro company computer. I really wanted a 13" air, but I need 8gb of Ram and at least 500gb storage to run some VMFusion images as part of my Job so I had to get the MP Pro... ( Still a great little computer )

I have a personal 15" MB Pro and love it...

I would love to see the 15" slimmed down enough to be called an AIR....
  • Reply 24 of 51
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wealthychef View Post

What I'm curious about as an AAPL shareholder is what is keeping AAPL from rebounding after the Japan tsunami like the other stocks? It fell to 330 from a high of 360 and is now around 340.

Its because of the possible iphone 5 delay. Wait until they annonced there next quarter profits it will rebound like crazy.
  • Reply 25 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

What I really want is a 15" MacBook Air.

I think it will happen. MBA's are the future.

Notice how Apple is changing the "conversation" away from just specs. They've done it with the iPad2 and now they are doing it with the MBA. MBA's have more than enough computing power for 95% of users. I think the instant on is a winner!
  • Reply 26 of 51
    rtdunhamrtdunham Posts: 428member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

?the hassle of trying to keep all the right content and programs in the right places manually is just too clunky?

I agree. I love my 11" but can't juggle it and my MBP. If apple found a way for us to easily sync all apps and data as smoothly as we already can sync settings and bookmarks and contacts and mail etc, apple would greatly multiply the percent of it's customers owning multiple computers. until then I'm waiting for delivery of a 360gb SSD for my 11" which, once installed, will allow me to part with my MBP and use the MBA as my sole 'puter.

I'm hoping for an apple MBA update with a better processor, bigger storage capacity, SD card reader, and lighted keyboard. If that last item's too complicated, why not illuminate just the less commonly-used and thus less familiar function keys, or for touch-type orientation, the G-H position keys? Or both?
  • Reply 27 of 51
    Quote:

Have you considered that Apple shares were in a bubble and the bubble has popped? Don't get your hopes up on earnings because there are no guarantees with the stock market or Apple. If you notice carefully, you'll see that even as target prices and revenue goes up, Apple shares go down. There's something particularly untrustworthy when you notice actions like that.

I have a feeling that Wall Street may be setting up Apple shares for a huge drop and say it has something to do with share consolidation or something like that. If you're an Apple shareholder, don't get your hopes up too high for a blowout quarter that produces higher share prices. If you look back on January's earnings' results, you'll see what an extremely good quarter will do to Apple shares. Merely send them down. And the shares still haven't ever recovered. Maybe it's share consolidation or hedge fund manipulation. You'll never know. You'll only be left with less money in your Apple account.
  • Reply 28 of 51
    I bought a maxed CTO 11" MBA last December and it's all I use. My poor 15" MBP, while much faster, is wholly neglected. I had an iPad..but I never used it. LUV MY MBA.

My view on the future MacBook lineup:

- Get rid if the white MacBook. While I know this is probably not likely, I despise that thing. I think it's downright ugly compared to the aluminum unibody.

- Introduce a 15" MacBook Air (alongside the 15" MBP because so pro users want ports)

11", 13", 15" MacBook Airs

13", 15", 17" MacBook Pros

OR, hell with the 15" MBP, introduce a slim line with a Thunderbolt port and a small port strip with thunderbold on each end so it can be daisy chained to the monitor.
  • Reply 29 of 51
    m3digim3digi Posts: 5member
    I have an MBA 11.6" and I love it. I bought it for my travel photography, and I love its size and portability. I also have a MBP 17" mid-2009 spec. I know that a Sandy Bridge update will eventually find its way into the MBA, but my concern is that it will feature the integrated Intel HD 3000 chipset. While the Core 2 Duo in the MBA is undoubtedly old, the Nvidia 320 chipset seems to outperform the current Intel offering.

I'm hoping Apple will offer something equally compelling in the MBA update, but I don't know if it will warrant an upgrade. I'm looking to replace my MBP next, perhaps for the 15" with upgraded video option, or an iMac. I'm having a hard time justifying two notebooks, especially when my Pro is pretty much relegated to desk duty.

I do a lot of photo editing, so I'm not all that enamored with the glossy display of the iMac. As it stands, I'm leaning toward a new MBP. Whatever Apples comes with in its upcoming products, I'll hold on to my MBA for at least another year.
  • Reply 30 of 51
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Have you considered that Apple shares were in a bubble and the bubble has popped?

I've considered that, but discarded the notion. At a P/E of about 12 (discounting for $60 billion in cash holdings) it can hardly be called a bubble. I think Apple's quiet nature leaves the stock to react negatively to negative news put out by competitors and media haters.
  • Reply 31 of 51
    rtdunhamrtdunham Posts: 428member
    Quote:

Have you considered that Apple shares were in a bubble and the bubble has popped?.

Sounds like you're trying to manipulate the price.

Do this: reply here, with apple's p/e and the p/e ratios of some other tech stocks. Say AMD and Google. That'll give a better perspective on what stocks are in bubbles.

Then list how those stocks' prices have changed since the tsunami.

I think the AAPL price drop is the result of perceived delays in the arrival of iPhone5 while android phones are gaining market share.
  • Reply 32 of 51
    Quote:

Have you considered that Apple shares were in a bubble and the bubble has popped?

Unless something changes dramatically, and iOS is indeed crushed by Android, this is unlikely. Apple has a relatively low PE for a tech stock of nearly 19, compared to about 22 for Google, 20+ for Oracle, ~24 for HP. Of course, you have MSFT and Dell which have PEs closer to 10, but Apple is a bigger growth stock than these for sure.

I think the biggest reason the stock is down is uncertainty due to component delivery. Apple is at much greater risk because of this due to the large quantities they need. So the slightest drop in supply can hurt them.

Edit: Another issue I think is Steve Jobs. I think folks are worried that his breaks are lasting too long.
  • Reply 33 of 51
    Quote:

I think it's noise.
  • Reply 34 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

I've considered that, but discarded the notion. At a P/E of about 12 (discounting for $60 billion in cash holdings) it can hardly be called a bubble. I think Apple's quiet nature leaves the stock to react negatively to negative news put out by competitors and media haters.

Good call on deducting the cash. Didn't have time to do it.

The stock might even look slightly undervalued at this point.

It seems people are not factoring in Apple's ability to bring in revenue from brand new markets. Its stunning that based on Sep 10 annual numbers (note, this only captures nearly 6 months of supply constrained iPad sales in an annual report), over 50% of their revenues were markets they did not even compete in 4 years ago.
  • Reply 35 of 51
    I have had my MBA 13" with 4GB for a month and I'm extremely happy with my choice.

Actually, it's the second one as the screen would go dark when picked up on the first one. I think it was some flex in the case causing something it didn't like. I had to wait for another build, but Apple was great.
  • Reply 36 of 51
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    MBA a quasi tablet? Who writes this crap?

I suggest the writers for this site use a MBA and understand that it's not in any way a quasi tablet. Just because a computer is smaller and more portable doesn't necessarily make it a tablet. SMDH
  • Reply 37 of 51
    koheletkohelet Posts: 58member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You may have something there.

I've now owned my 15" MBP i7 for six months and the only time I have ever used the optical drive is to re rip my CDs at the higher bit rate or when some of my tracks have inexplicably shortened and only play for a short while then skip to the next track. (BTW any one else had this? ... I assume this corruption has occurred during one of the several disk to disk clones when I upgraded through several Macs since the original ripping).

I'd therefore happily live with an external optical drive that was either wifi or USB2 or Firewire so as not to have to lug the extra weight around in the MPB. The only thing I wouldn't want to give up is the internal 1TB drive I have and the 8 GIGs of RAM.

Open itunes and hit 'get info' on one of these tracks. There should be a tab for play options where you can set start and stop times for tracks. Check and see if somehow a stop time got set for the track. Sorry for the semi-lack of detail. I'm away from home and can't access my itunes library for more precise definitions
  • Reply 38 of 51
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

MacBook Air quasi iPad? How so? There's nothing quasi about the MBA.

Agreed. Anyone that equates the MBA to a tablet, even 'quasi', is not someone I'm going to listen to. Because there is nada that is tablet like about the Air.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

Really? You can't import videos from your PC and edit them? GAH! I was just about to buy iMovie too. Was really looking forward to using it. I only wanna create movies using video from my DSLR or camcorder though, not the crappy iPhone vids.

According to the imovie info it reads videos from the 'camera roll' on the ipad. So if you could find a way to get a file that was ipad compatible into that album you might be able to trick it into working even though the clip didn't originate on an iOS device.
  • Reply 39 of 51
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

Really? You can't import videos from your PC and edit them? GAH! I was just about to buy iMovie too. Was really looking forward to using it. I only wanna create movies using video from my DSLR or camcorder though, not the crappy iPhone vids.

It is possible but requires some conversion which is slow and therefore a pain - oh, and you may have to shell out some money for software (Can Handbreak do this?)

Check this search out http://www.google.ca/search?q=edit%2...utf-8&oe=utf-8
  • Reply 40 of 51
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,780member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kohelet View Post

Open itunes and hit 'get info' on one of these tracks. There should be a tab for play options where you can set start and stop times for tracks. Check and see if somehow a stop time got set for the track. Sorry for the semi-lack of detail. I'm away from home and can't access my itunes library for more precise definitions

Nope, it's not that I checked one but thanks anyway. I fix as it happens by ripping the few that are bad. They don't show as shorter so it is a 'fix as it happens' thing but I have all my CDs so no biggie. I re rip the entire CD at higher quality while I'm at it anyway as many were ripped when iTunes first came out.