Strong sales make Apple's 'quasi-tablet' MacBook Air a $2.2B-per-year product

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

If Apple would write the software for handling an ecosystem of data and programs to match their ecosystem of very nice hardware, then I'd sell my middle-aged unibody Macbook and get a Mini for home and an Air for the road.

They have app store now for the Mac and Mobile Me supports syncing data for several Apple apps. Syncing for third party apps has to be done via the app author or via user intervention. For example drop box is one way to keep data usable from multiple platforms.

Quote:

But the hassle of trying to keep all the right content and programs in the right places manually is just too clunky and unreliable, not to mention that Apple keep deleting people's data with MobileMe.

Huh? Seriously when has Apple deleted data from Mobile Me? As to programs, again I don't see what the problem is. Installation of programs is dead simple on a Mac.

As for content do you seriously want to mirror all of your data on all of your machines? I suppose there is a reason to want to, but I'd have to say it is wasteful. Plus it is far more complicated than you think. Your best bet is to write a few scripts that sync your important data as needed.

Quote:

Come on Apple, I *want* to pay you for your lovely hardware !

But yet you offer up excuses, that make no sense, to not do so. Immnot sure if you are trolling or rather that I don't understand what you are saying here.
  • Reply 42 of 51
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wealthychef View Post

What I'm curious about as an AAPL shareholder is what is keeping AAPL from rebounding after the Japan tsunami like the other stocks? It fell to 330 from a high of 360 and is now around 340.

General rebound for all markets due to the earthquake and fall out.

Claims that Apple can't get iPad components cause they were being made in Japan and thus are telling sales numbers because the numbers totally suck.

Claims that Apple is not announcing new iPhone hardware at WWDC and in fact won't announce until at least sept.

Claims that Serlet and that marketing exec are leaving cause they know for a fact that Jobs is never returning and they hate Cook and are so sure he'll ruin the company that they want to get out now.
  • Reply 43 of 51
    josh2012josh2012 Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post

I wanna get one too. I'm a travel photographer, and I thought the iPad would be the perfect travel companion for what I do...but it's too closed. Don't get me wrong, it's my FAVORITE way to surf the web by far, and it does load my photos while on the road....HOWEVER...

It cannot transfer and edit HD video from my canon dslr. The new iPad can't even do it, and when I found out that iMovie for the iPad can only edit video from apple ios devices(iPad, iPod & iPhone).....I KNEW I needed a MacBook air.

Got my eye on the 13" model with 4 gigs of ram and a 256gb flash drive.....but Im waiting for the inevitable update which I know is coming. The last time they were updated was back in October, so Im thinking sometime between now and this October. That's 6 months.

I think iMacs will get updated first. But I am hoping the MacBook air gets one by the summer too.

My wish list? Lol. Sandy Bridge of course. Perhaps thunderbolt to help future proof it...and if flash drives come down in price, a 320 or 500 gig option would be PERFECT!

Since everything in the MacBook air is soldered on and not upgradable...I want to wait until the update. Usually I don't care, if I need it, I BUY it....but in this instance, I will wait.

I couldn't care less about a back lit keyboard. Don't need the battery drain, and my fingers have a good touch memory. I never understood why this is so important to some people. Even if I was a hunt and peck typist...and the room was dark...the screen lights up the keyboard just fine.

Anyway....I digress. :-)

Come on Apple....update these babies so I can nab one pronto.

I really don't think Apple will update the Air's with Sandy Bridge.

Here is why, the high resolution display (1440X900) will make the Intel graphics a major downgrade from the 320m in performance. I think the Air will get updated with the next MBP update (2012) and the 13" MBP and MBA become one with Ivy processors. Also at this time I expect the 15" and 17" MBP's to become "Air" like with SSD storage, thinner, and lighter.

I was holding out for the update, but came to this conclusion and made my purchase, which I couldn't be more satisfied with.

I may be wrong, but I would rather have the 320m if they do update it, the Thunderbolt is what will hurt... I plan to keep my Air through law and grad school so another 5 years..
  • Reply 44 of 51
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

Yeah. Or if they just did away with the optical drive in the 15 and 17 inch Pro's and made it a bit thinner and lighter.

They'd also have to ditch the spinning rust. I swear, my fully decked out SSD-aftermarket '10 Macbook Pro 13" feels *slower* than my dad's recent 13" MBA.

He does NOT miss the optical drive (well, neither do I, but I do love my 750GB non-SSD storage).

So MBA advantages (over equivalent 13" MBP):

* thinner

* lighter

* quieter

* cooler

* SSD = faster (by default)

* instant-on

* higher res

Running OSX, It's a 360-degree slam dunk at it's pricing. If apple wanted to completely tank HP/Dell, they could just lower the 11" price by $100 and it'd dominate.
  • Reply 45 of 51
    m3digim3digi Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh2012 View Post

I really don't think Apple will update the Air's with Sandy Bridge.

Here is why, the high resolution display (1440X900) will make the Intel graphics a major downgrade from the 320m in performance. I think the Air will get updated with the next MBP update (2012) and the 13" MBP and MBA become one with Ivy processors. Also at this time I expect the 15" and 17" MBP's to become "Air" like with SSD storage, thinner, and lighter.

I was holding out for the update, but came to this conclusion and made my purchase, which I couldn't be more satisfied with.

I may be wrong, but I would rather have the 320m if they do update it, the Thunderbolt is what will hurt... I plan to keep my Air through law and grad school so another 5 years..

The new MBP 13" with the Intel IGP is what I've taken note of, and why I'll hold on to my MBA even if a Sandy Bridge update comes about. I don't know that the MBA will get updated with the next MBP. That would likely mean that an MBA update would not be happening in 2011. Apple could defer until 2012 and roll out a redesigned MBP and updated MBA line with Ivy Bridge.

I'd like to hold out until 2012 to see what comes about. I haven't tried using my MBA for photo editing. I'm not sure that I could get through the remainder of the year using my MBA as my primary system for photo editing. Then again, I don't edit in bulk, so I'm sure I could get by.
  • Reply 46 of 51
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

General rebound for all markets due to the earthquake and fall out.

Claims that Apple can't get iPad components cause they were being made in Japan and thus are telling sales numbers because the numbers totally suck.

Claims that Apple is not announcing new iPhone hardware at WWDC and in fact won't announce until at least sept.

Claims that Serlet and that marketing exec are leaving cause they know for a fact that Jobs is never returning and they hate Cook and are so sure he'll ruin the company that they want to get out now.

Troll here often?
  • Reply 47 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

It is possible but requires some conversion which is slow and therefore a pain - oh, and you may have to shell out some money for software (Can Handbreak do this?)

Check this search out http://www.google.ca/search?q=edit%2...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Handbrake can do this, for free.

Another option is iVi on the Mac App Store, which costs $10, but which I prefer to Handbrake, as the interface is much simpler and more elegant.
  • Reply 48 of 51
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by urbansprawl View Post

I bought a maxed CTO 11" MBA last December and it's all I use. My poor 15" MBP, while much faster, is wholly neglected. I had an iPad..but I never used it. LUV MY MBA.

My view on the future MacBook lineup:

- Get rid if the white MacBook. While I know this is probably not likely, I despise that thing. I think it's downright ugly compared to the aluminum unibody.

- Introduce a 15" MacBook Air (alongside the 15" MBP because so pro users want ports)

11", 13", 15" MacBook Airs

13", 15", 17" MacBook Pros

OR, hell with the 15" MBP, introduce a slim line with a Thunderbolt port and a small port strip with thunderbold on each end so it can be daisy chained to the monitor.

I think they might take a different tack:

MBA will morph into a tablet format - sort of iPad Pro with bigger screen for pro users

MBP will morph into a MBA style format with 11/13/15/17 inch models

MB will morph into a MBP style format ditching the white plastic but keeping the hard drive and CD/DVD
  • Reply 49 of 51
    ecsecs Posts: 307member
    Btw, do you think Lion will be a bit slower than Snow Leopard on the MBA? Will it be a good idea to update, or will the MBA feel "lighter" on the current OSX version?
  • Reply 50 of 51
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    I think Lion will be faster than Snow Leopard. At least on my MacBook Pro the preview was faster.
  • Reply 51 of 51
    cityguidecityguide Posts: 129member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wealthychef View Post

What I'm curious about as an AAPL shareholder is what is keeping AAPL from rebounding after the Japan tsunami like the other stocks? It fell to 330 from a high of 360 and is now around 340.

Some investors and analysts may be depressed because NASDAQ is planning to re-weight the Nasdaq-100 index. This will give Apple a much less significant share of an index in which it currently has 20% of the weight. It will drop to 12% if this goes through. Many traders watch that index as a barometer on some markets, and the feeling on the Nasdaq board is a change is long overdue. Apple, however, will see the biggest drop because its influence has grown so much. The index has not seen a re-balancing since 1998, and for some perspective consider that WorldCom was one of the top companies in the index at the time.

The actual change, if it happens, will be May 12th. Actions are already being planned by fund managers, but most are probably waiting to see what is disclosed at Apple's quarterly report.