Nasdaq rebalancing seen as a buying opportunity for Apple investors

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    betabeebetabee Posts: 6member
    It might be time to cash in a little guys, but until apple looses its huge technical support and public hype, AAPL will be a leader stock. However, when people like Reggie Middleton start talking about shorting AAPL, I get a little nervous. Do you want to be on the other side of his trade?

http://boombustblog.com/boombustblog...hort-on-apple/

BTW, I think he is totally underestimating iOS when comparing to Android.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Move over Gene Munster there's a new kid on the block!....Brian White.

Perhaps Mr White would be well advised in looking over Munsters track record, predictions ,and rumor mill before standing in line for next years April Fool Award.

In any case I'm sure Brian White will provide many moments of entertainment and laughs for those following and reading his analysis.

My only question is what is Brian White basing his opinion on when Apple is known to be closed lip.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    There's a piece today in BusinessWeek about NASDAQ rebalancing

the stocks in the index due to changes in share price.

The interesting snippet is what has happened since 21 Dec 1998

when certain rule changes came into effect.

Apple +3,779%

Microsoft -26%

Cisco -25%

Intel -35%

Dell -58%
  • Reply 24 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeBarnes View Post

Anyone know when this sell off will kick in -- so far after opening around 336 the stock's hovering at 340.

Will managers sell off immediately or over the course of the month?

This article from the WSJ says that the trading will likely happen at the end of the month. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...o&mod=yahoo_hs

It also says that the sell off from ETF's will amount about 1% of AAPL or half a normal day of trading. They don't think it will have much of an impact. However, with all the hedge funds that will be trying to game this trade, there is likely to be quite a bit of volatility in the stock.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BetaBee View Post

It might be time to cash in a little guys, but until apple looses its huge technical support and public hype, AAPL will be a leader stock. However, when people like Reggie Middleton start talking about shorting AAPL, I get a little nervous. Do you want to be on the other side of his trade?

http://boombustblog.com/boombustblog...hort-on-apple/

BTW, I think he is totally underestimating iOS when comparing to Android.

The Bloomberg article has quotes from people hoping for a big collapse in Apple, saying the rebalancing will reduce its effect. Instead, Apple probably keep the index *higher* while Very Little Soft and Cisco were declining.

Oh, and on the stock purchase price wars, the "data" you want is not some funny number you have in a spreadsheet, but the trade confirmations from your broker. Two I have handy are on 4/14/03 at $13.71 (one 2 for 1 split adjusts to $6.855) and on 11/29/85 at $20.125 (three 2 for 1 split adjusts to $2.515625).

FYI, at the Apple Shareholder's meeting this year, I remarked to one of the young security people that I probably owned Apple, Inc. stock longer than he has been around. When I gave him the year, he said I was right...

Sigh, off to go find the cost basis for some *other* shares my wife sold last year. Neither of those two are the basis for those shares. The 2003 shares are in my IRA and the 1985 shares are in my daughters' accounts.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lukevaxhacker View Post

The Bloomberg article has quotes from people hoping for a big collapse in Apple, saying the rebalancing will reduce its effect. Instead, Apple probably keep the index *higher* while Very Little Soft and Cisco were declining.

Not happening. AAPL has underperformed the NASDAQ over the last six months. Good luck finding another six month period in the last ten years when that's happened. Forward P/E is now at something like 12. That just sucks.