Consumer Reports ranks Apple's iPad 2 best tablet on the market

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    Interesting that LAST YEAR's iPad still tops the ratings, just below the new iPad2.
  • Reply 22 of 45
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Are they sure? I've heard that if you squeeze the screen it discolors slightly around your finger. Sounds like a fatal flaw to me. Can't recommend.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Did they actually recommend the iPad 2? The iPhone 4 was the best rated smartphone, but not recommended (thus showing what a travesty their entire ratings and recommendation process is).

It is the best tablet on the market, but CR's endorsement, or lack thereof, is entirely meaningless.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member
    In other news, Earth wins the Best Habitable Planet in the Solar System Award for the 3 Billionth year in a row.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Yes, but it did endorsed other phones suffering the same issue.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Just to clarify, CR gave the iPhone 4 a high rating, too, but just wouldn't endorse (recommend) it.

• Reply 26 of 45
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I suspect your situation is uncommon. Nonetheless, companies including Apple will change the battery.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

It's actually amazing that you're able to use your old iphone for more than a couple of years without having battery problem. My iphone 3G can't be used for more than 15 minutes without a charger after 2 years.

• Reply 27 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

It would have been priceless if CR had put a "not recommended" sticker on the iPad in comparison to the others.

It does not matter, because Consumer Reports has no credibility. I couldn't care less for their take on which technology to buy. They should stick to rating blenders and washing machines.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    freddychfreddych Posts: 266member
    This CLEARLY shows that CR is biased against apple! Check to see if the editors have any short holdings!
  • Reply 29 of 45
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

I disagree. I put my iPad2 3g + WiFi in a safe, and it lost both signals almost immediately.

I would not recommend this device based on these deficiencies.

But wait... how would you know the device lost its signals after being put into a safe constructed with thick slabs of shielded metal if you could not observe it?
  • Reply 30 of 45
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

But wait... how would you know the device lost its signals after being put into a safe constructed with thick slabs of shielded metal if you could not observe it?

Easy.

It was in there with a dead cat.

• Reply 31 of 45
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freddych View Post

This CLEARLY shows that CR is biased against apple! Check to see if the editors have any short holdings!

I don't recall anyone suggesting that CR was specifically biased against Apple (except for the duct tape guy who clearly was).

The problem with them is that they simply don't know what they are doing, despite all the "scientific" pretense to the contrary.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I guess moto was right. We are all wearing those awesome white hoodies

iPad is essentially the only non-beta tablet on the market, so no big surprise here.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    That generous donation check finally cleared.
  • Reply 34 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

They (CR) should stick to rating blenders and washing machines.

Now that's funny! (And true, too!)

Best
  • Reply 35 of 45
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Easy.

It was in there with a dead cat.

So the cat was both alive and dead at the same time? Gotcha... this quantum stuff is quite easy once we have cats to experiment with.
  • Reply 36 of 45
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:

Consumer Reports ranks Apple's iPad 2 best tablet on the market

By Slash Lane

Love a good alias. This one sounds like a service road off of Infinite Loop.....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Just wait. They will be hopping on the "light bleeding" bandwagon next week.

Actually I read the 3g antenna in the Pad is essentially the same as the one in the iPhone. How'd they miss that?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

So the cat was both alive and dead at the same time? Gotcha... this quantum stuff is quite easy once we have cats to experiment with.

Totally off the subject and not directed at the poster's clever ref to a classic physics analogy, I worked in a lab which used (and badly misused) experimental animals. It was my university Work Study job.

The things they did to cats in particular were sickening, and they only used cats because they wanted to play with a "higher animal" than their usual rats, and could trap them on the grounds and so get 'em for free. (I say "play with," because these studies lacked any number of rigorous controls which would've rendered the results publishable in peer-reviewed journals.)

They also refused to pay for humane killing means once experiments were finished. And left it to lowly undergrad serfs like me to figure out how to do the deed. I quit when they refused to spend $10-20 bucks on even Chloroform.
  • Reply 37 of 45
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member
    And once again Jobs gets to hit the "So suck it" button.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    alanskyalansky Posts: 235member
    Screw Consumer Reports. They should stick to rating toasters and washing machines.
  • Reply 39 of 45
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Totally off the subject and not directed at the poster's clever ref to a classic physics analogy, I worked in a lab which used (and badly misused) experimental animals. It was my university Work Study job.

The things they did to cats in particular were sickening, and they only used cats because they wanted to play with a "higher animal" than their usual rats, and could trap them on the grounds and so get 'em for free. (I say "play with," because these studies lacked any number of rigorous controls which would've rendered the results publishable in peer-reviewed journals.)

They also refused to pay for humane killing means once experiments were finished. And left it to lowly undergrad serfs like me to figure out how to do the deed. I quit when they refused to spend $10-20 bucks on even Chloroform.

I don't care for cats much, but if what you're describing is true, that's despicable on the lab's part.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post

In other news, Earth wins the Best Habitable Planet in the Solar System Award for the 3 Billionth year in a row.

LOL!

But Titan is catching up and may be the winner in 2-3 thousand years! Oh, right, you said planet, well, that changes things...