Toyota pulls ad campaign for jailbroken iPhones at Apple's request

Comments

• Reply 21 of 84
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:

After a custom theme created for jailbroken iPhones to promote the Scion car brand gained attention, Apple requested that Toyota abandon the campaign, and the carmaker complied.

Toyota complied with Apple's request to "maintain their good relationship with Apple," a person associated with the advertising campaign reportedly told Kyle Matthews of ModMyi. The theme has been available on Cydia, an alternative iPhone application store, since Feb. 10, and an accompanying Scion campaign was running on the enthusiast website.

"Jailbreaking" is a term used to describe hacking iOS devices in order to allow them to run unauthorized code. A standard, out-of-the-box iPhone or iPad cannot run software that is unsigned by Apple, but jailbroken devices can be used to display custom themes or skins.

This is one more example of abuse by Apple, solely caused by the greed of executives with unrealistic stock option bonuses.

When the story of 'The Rise and Fall of an American Icon' is written, the list of such illegal or abusive corporate behavior will stun even the most seasoned of corporate observers. In the mean time, customers decide where their hard earned money should go. For computers, their vote is overwhelmingly in favor of Microsoft Windows. For smartphones, the choice is between Google Android, Microsoft Windows Phone, and Apple IOS. Apple is already in a minority (i.e. sells less than 50% of all smartphones worldwide) for smartphones. How low will Apple fall?

A note to Apple investors: While Apple has seen a phenomenal rise in value of its shares since 1997, this is history. The Wall Street saying is 'Trees don't grow to the sky'.

• Reply 22 of 84
    creativecreative Posts: 26member
    I really appreciated the uniqueness of this campaign. The Scion is essentially positioned a 'hackable' car for the moding enthusiast. To align the brand campaign with an audience who also shares the same experiences and tenets of the 'customization' culture in technology is really insightful of their agency Velti. To do that in a way that also gives Scion a bit of counter-culture cred is quite brilliant. The particular execution not withstanding (a little to much silver and bevel for my taste), I applaud the creative thinking in pursuit of a relevant audience for their brand.
  • Reply 23 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RKpro View Post

You may have better luck emailing Mr. Apple directly.

Haha
  • Reply 24 of 84
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jctusa View Post

Dear Mr. Apple ~

I for one would not jailbreak my iPhone, which I consider an outstanding product with the exception that you do not permit or sell UNLOCKED iPhones within the United States, nor do you permit someone to order a factory UNLOCKED iPhone from other countries where you sell them from your Apple Stores. I site Canada and the United Kingdom as perfect examples.

THEREFORE, I jailbreak my iPhone to enable me to utilize sims while visiting other countries rather than pay the exorbitant fees that AT&T charge. I know that it is not AT&T that prohibits the UNLOCKING, because I have had other manufacturers phones UNLOCKED by merely calling AT&T and requesting it.

So, thanks to your stupid, ridiculous policy for iPhones within the United States, I UNLOCK my bought and paid for iPhone.

I visit my carrier's website, enter my IMEI, restore in iTunes and my iPhone is unlocked.

Are Verizon iPhones unlocked or ANY CDMA phone for that matter, how do you unlock phones without SIM cards, the Government shouldn't allow them to be sold like that.
  • Reply 25 of 84
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

This is one more example of abuse by Apple, solely caused by the greed of executives with unrealistic stock option bonuses.

When the story of 'The Rise and Fall of an American Icon' is written, the list of such illegal or abusive corporate behavior will stun even the most seasoned of corporate observers. In the mean time, customers decide where their hard earned money should go. For computers, their vote is overwhelmingly in favor of Microsoft Windows. For smartphones, the choice is between Google Android, Microsoft Windows Phone, and Apple IOS. Apple is already in a minority (i.e. sells less than 50% of all smartphones worldwide) for smartphones. How low will Apple fall?

A note to Apple investors: While Apple has seen a phenomenal rise in value of its shares since 1997, this is history. The Wall Street saying is 'Trees don't grow to the sky'.

We've seen that Apple's closed environment works for phones and tablets. Android has found that being open leaves you open to any of the malware and viruses that their numerous unchecked stores and Android environments have created. People have different expectations for different devices. What a novel idea! In toyota's case, I can see why some might think this is Apple Overreach. However, too open means too bad for people.
  • Reply 26 of 84
    bstringbstring Posts: 104member
    Apple's locked down model works well for many, those who know no different or lack the ambition to see their device's full potential. Also perfect for parents to hand to their kids to protect them from themselves. The rest of the world is free to remove the restrictions... and without any moral dilemma.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

We've seen that Apple's closed environment works for phones and tablets. Android has found that being open leaves you open to any of the malware and viruses that their numerous unchecked stores and Android environments have created.

• Reply 27 of 84
    hkzhkz Posts: 190member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Try piracy? No thanks. Just because you cannot buy an app at the price you want does not entitle you to simply take it without paying for it.

I don't advocate piracy and don't participate. Merely stating that jailbreaking does not equal piracy. Since you own a computer I'll go ahead and assume you're a music and software pirate too. See how easy and asinine that is? When you get off that soapbox let me know and I'll engage in polite and civil debate. It's easy to pirate apps without jailbreaking, and it's getting old to hear the same bleating about piracy when jailbreaking is mentioned.

EDIT: edited my original comment to reflect my statement to be more clear. I was trying to say that the writer should at least make an attempt to mention that a jailbreak isn't required for piracy.
  • Reply 28 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

Are you one of the three suspects who broke into the San Diego Apple Store the other day?

It seems piracy didn't work out as planned, especially for the guy now in the morgue.

Piracy and theft of a physical object are similar in nature, different in execution. Care to explain the version of logic you used to come to that conclusion, or do you not understand how pirating a piece of software isn't exactly the same a pulling a gun on someone after destroying the physical barrier to obtain that item is? I don't advocate piracy and I don't participate in it, I sure as hell don't pull a firearm on someone to obtain what I cannot afford or don't wish to pay for. Just stating that is it easy to get apps without paying for them without a jailbreak.

Jesus, will you morons quit assuming I pirate because I dispute this false claim?
  • Reply 29 of 84
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:

Dear Mr. Apple ~

I for one would not jailbreak my iPhone, which I consider an outstanding product with the exception that you do not permit or sell UNLOCKED iPhones within the United States, nor do you permit someone to order a factory UNLOCKED iPhone from other countries where you sell them from your Apple Stores. I site Canada and the United Kingdom as perfect examples.

THEREFORE, I jailbreak my iPhone to enable me to utilize sims while visiting other countries rather than pay the exorbitant fees that AT&T charge. I know that it is not AT&T that prohibits the UNLOCKING, because I have had other manufacturers phones UNLOCKED by merely calling AT&T and requesting it.

So, thanks to your stupid, ridiculous policy for iPhones within the United States, I UNLOCK my bought and paid for iPhone.

Perhaps you haven't thought this one through fully...

Apple makes the same amount of money whether you purchase your phone locked or unlocked. They want to sell as many phones as possible. So do you honestly think they spend their time and money locking phones down just for fun?

In order to sell their phones at a competitive rate (have you checked what the cost of an unlocked, unsubsidized iPhone is), they've had to partner with the cellular service providers to give you a phone which is partially paid for by the service provider. However, in order to give that subsidy, the service provider requires that you stay with them for a fixed amount of time (so that they can recoup the cost -- many times over). Which means that Apple must provide for them a way to tie that phone to their service (i.e. SIM locking).

So instead of sending your letter to Apple, it would be best to redirect it to the cellular service providers (AT&T, Verizon, et al) and complain about an industry which nickel and dimes customers to death, intentionally creates contracts and rules which are so convoluted that it takes a law degree to figure them out (betting that customers will rack up large bills because they don't know better), and generally does as little as possible to innovate and move technology forward.

If they had their way, you'd still be paying separate fees for email, Facebook, web browsing, YouTube, and various other data-related services (as it was just a few years ago). You'd probably also be paying every time you played a song, and would only be able to use their approved Wi-Fi networks (at extra cost).
  • Reply 30 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

We've seen that Apple's closed environment works for phones and tablets. Android has found that being open leaves you open to any of the malware and viruses that their numerous unchecked stores and Android environments have created. People have different expectations for different devices. What a novel idea! In toyota's case, I can see why some might think this is Apple Overreach. However, too open means too bad for people.

iOS is no different. There have been much public outcry over the apps they have let through that have mined data the end user was never aware of. Androids big problem, and Windows Phone 7, is that they have bowed to the carriers request to approve and distribute updates. Open has nothing to do with Android versus iOS. There are really good things and really bad things about both, walled gardens aren't a good thing.
  • Reply 31 of 84
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HKZ View Post

iOS is no different. There have been much public outcry over the apps they have let through that have mined data the end user was never aware of. Androids big problem, and Windows Phone 7, is that they have bowed to the carriers request to approve and distribute updates. Open has nothing to do with Android versus iOS. There are really good things and really bad things about both, walled gardens aren't a good thing.

Old Apple = Think Different. Anyone remember Kaleidoscope? Heck Apple itself even released custom themes. There was a built-in Theme Manager Control Panel in OS 9! What the heck happened to Apple. It is The Man now. I can understand having to cut deals about DRM to get labels to agree to distribute music and movies. I blame the labels and not Apple. But this is just Apple being a stupid control freak. No matter what Apple does people are going to jailbreak that want to. All stuff like this dose is piss them off. I'm sure whoever wants this product will manage to get it through applicable channels. What happened, Apple??
  • Reply 32 of 84
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by astrubhar View Post

I feel like Apple is being a bit of a bully here.

What makes them a bully? I for one don't like bullying at any level, but I read nothing but they called and ask Toycar to please pull the app from App Store. I just didn't read into third
  • Reply 33 of 84
    Apple is going completely too far if they're trying to control what non-App Store (i.e. jailbroken) apps are available.

It's been pretty much settled that Apple can run their walled garden as they wish. However they need to keep their control inside the wall.
  • Reply 34 of 84
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Apple is going completely too far if they're trying to control what non-App Store (i.e. jailbroken) apps are available.

It's been pretty much settled that Apple can run their walled garden as they wish. However they need to keep their control inside the wall.

At least Apple didn't sue any jailbreakers. Look what Sony is doing to George Hotz.
  • Reply 35 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Old Apple = Think Different. Anyone remember Kaleidoscope? Heck Apple itself even released custom themes. There was a built-in Theme Manager Control Panel in OS 9! What the heck happened to Apple. It is The Man now. I can understand having to cut deals about DRM to get labels to agree to distribute music and movies. I blame the labels and not Apple. But this is just Apple being a stupid control freak. No matter what Apple does people are going to jailbreak that want to. All stuff like this dose is piss them off. I'm sure whoever wants this product will manage to get it through applicable channels. What happened, Apple??

I agree and disagree. I've been a jailbreaker since the first iPhone all the way to the current iPhone 4. I encourage them to agressively pursue stopping jailbreaks. Even though the jailbreaking community has been very vigilant in closing the holes that were used to jailbreak faster than Apple decided to fix them, it benefits all of us for them to stop them. It breeds better security and more confidence that Apple is actually trying to prevent security exploits from being maliciously used. All the FUD about devs selling jailbreak apps stealing info is extremely annoying and jailbreaking making the iPhone more vulnerable is just laughably bad. Apple needs to stop jailbreaking as best as they can, it improves the platform, but I wish they'd let people voluntarily jailbreak with the agreement that Apple isn't responsible for the outcome though, would make life easier.
  • Reply 36 of 84
    ravedogravedog Posts: 33member
    Quote:

Dear Mr. Apple ~

Really? Did you pay $699 or $799 for the phone? No? Congratulations, you bought a phone at a SUBSIDIZED price from AT&T. Meaning, it's not bought and paid for... your contract does that.
  • Reply 37 of 84
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    So......

You honestly feel a book written on the history of abuse by American corporations would include Apple not allowing iPhone users to customize their phones?

Are you really serious with this? Is this really our biggest problem?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

When the story of 'The Rise and Fall of an American Icon' is written, the list of such illegal or abusive corporate behavior will stun even the most seasoned of corporate observers.

• Reply 38 of 84
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Old Apple = Think Different. Anyone remember Kaleidoscope? Heck Apple itself even released custom themes. There was a built-in Theme Manager Control Panel in OS 9! What the heck happened to Apple.

What happened with OS9 has little to do with what is happening with iOS.

If Apple had continued on its course with OS9 their would be no Apple today.

Quote:

But this is just Apple being a stupid control freak. No matter what Apple does people are going to jailbreak that want to. All stuff like this dose is piss them off. I'm sure whoever wants this product will manage to get it through applicable channels. What happened, Apple??

The people concerned with jailbreaking are such a small minority. Who really cares if they are pissed off or not.
  • Reply 39 of 84
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I visit my carrier's website, enter my IMEI, restore in iTunes and my iPhone is unlocked.

Are Verizon iPhones unlocked or ANY CDMA phone for that matter, how do you unlock phones without SIM cards, the Government shouldn't allow them to be sold like that.

CDMA phones arn't "Locked" in the sense your thinking of anyway. CDMA carriers keep the ESN of approved devices in their network to prevent unauthorized devices from gaining access. The only way to stop this would be to require that all CDMA ESN's be added to every carrier, which I don't see the goverment doing since Verizon is transitioning to LTE (and sprint will be either wimax or LTE). It would be like them passing legislation on edge only devices.

You "unlock" a CDMA phone by either getting someone with the carrier to add the ESN, or by flashing the software to "spoof" the ESN to something the network will recognize.

Now, one of the requirements of verizon's LTE spectrum is that it allow "unlocked" devices on the network, so this won't change too soon.
  • Reply 40 of 84
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HKZ View Post

I agree and disagree. I've been a jailbreaker since the first iPhone all the way to the current iPhone 4. I encourage them to agressively pursue stopping jailbreaks. Even though the jailbreaking community has been very vigilant in closing the holes that were used to jailbreak faster than Apple decided to fix them, it benefits all of us for them to stop them. It breeds better security and more confidence that Apple is actually trying to prevent security exploits from being maliciously used. All the FUD about devs selling jailbreak apps stealing info is extremely annoying and jailbreaking making the iPhone more vulnerable is just laughably bad. Apple needs to stop jailbreaking as best as they can, it improves the platform, but I wish they'd let people voluntarily jailbreak with the agreement that Apple isn't responsible for the outcome though, would make life easier.

Every time there is an update you have to re-jailbreak it right? And I doesn't that take some lag time after the update comes out? I'm genuinely asking. This was one of my chief concerns and why I went Android. Most of the things I'd JB to get are on Android by default. Like free tethering. It's just there, just works. No futzing around. I haven't even gotten around to rooting yet, because I haven't thought of anything I'd like to customize that I can't. I'll be getting an iTouch this summer, though, as it comes free with a Mac. Which will be good. Media on Android is nowhere near as powerful as on iOS. I want iTunes on Android. But I suppose that's a pipedream... Then again, perhaps not? It's on Windows.