Apple releases free iAd Gallery on App Store to show off interactive ads

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2014
Apple on Tuesday released a new iPhone application called iAd Gallery, serving as a showcase for interactive advertisements available through the Apple-owned iAd network.

Version 1.0 of iAd Gallery is a free download available through the App Store. The 1.5MB software is compatible with the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad, and requires iOS 4.2.6 or later.

"The iAd Gallery is a celebration of advertising, featuring iAd campaigns from some of the world's best brands and their advertising agencies," Apple's official description reads. "The iAd Gallery gives you easy access to a selection of the fun and informative ads that have run in some of your favorite apps. Use the Browse feature to discover ads you haven't seen, or to find those you want to see again. Even lets you tag your favorites to a Loved section that?s all your own."

Features of the new software, which is rated for ages 12 and up, include:

Updated regularly to include a selection of the latest ads running on the iAd Network

Explore by spinning the wheel of iAd banners, or search by advertiser, category or ad feature

Learn about the featured ads, including the advertising agencies behind them

Easily access your favorite ads anytime by placing them in your Loved section

Tap into the More section to find additional details about the iAd Network

In recent months, Apple has become more aggressive in pushing its iAd mobile advertising service, including a move in February which saw the company cut its minimum advertising buy in half, to $500,000. Previously, advertisers had to buy at least $1 million to be a part of the network.

iAds debuted on the iPhone in the U.S. last July, and got off to a strong start as interest in the new advertisements was high. iAds provide richly interactive experiences inside developers' apps, providing them a 60 percent cut of the advertising revenue.

Apple's interactive advertisements are intended to be more compelling to users, because they don't have to leave an application and launch the Safari Web browser to view an advertiser's product. iAds can be identified by a logo included in the corner of the ad.

But while iAds got off to a strong start, the platform was described as "hurting" this February, with rumors that Apple was struggling to fill advertising slots and renew contracts. That report cited developers who indicated that at the start of 2011, the fill rate -- or what percentage of an ad inventory is actually filled with an ad -- dropped from 18 percent to 6 percent.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    This will be the first time I actually get to see an iAd.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    desidesdesides Posts: 80member
    Wait… download an app just to look at advertisements?

I can just turn on the TV if I want that.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    The bar was raised too high IMHO for the advertisers with iads.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    mbarriaultmbarriault Posts: 237member
    I'm guessing it's US only? Appears to be missing in the Canadian App Store.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

I'm guessing it's US only? Appears to be missing in the Canadian App Store.

Missing in the UK store as well.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    bcahill009bcahill009 Posts: 163member
    The big question is do the advertisers have to pay per click or per impression when it's from this app. My guess is Apple is doing this as a gift to the advertisers and as a way to promote iAds and get more advertisers.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    was kind of interested in this... then it told me I need iOS 4.2.6 or higher.

doh.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    You mean we can view ads for "FREE" ???

STOP THE PRESSES.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    zenwaveszenwaves Posts: 92member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Tuesday released a new iPhone application called iAd Gallery, serving as a showcase for interactive advertisements available through the Apple-owned iAd network.

The true purpose is to locate the most hardcore, kool-aid drunk fanboys!

This comes from a recovering fanboy who will NOT be downloading an app to watch advertisements!
  • Reply 10 of 28
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    I suggested this about five months ago.

Many many people ( including myself) have never seen an iAd.

Well may have gone dry for them at a time.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zenwaves View Post

The true purpose is to locate the most hardcore, kool-aid drunk fanboys! ...

On the other hand, Google can't make a single app *without* advertisements.

I think I prefer it the Apple way. Really cool advertisements that are so scarce, they have to make an app just to show them off.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    hezetationhezetation Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

The big question is do the advertisers have to pay per click or per impression when it's from this app. My guess is Apple is doing this as a gift to the advertisers and as a way to promote iAds and get more advertisers.

I honestly don't know why more people don't use iAds, they are actually the only ones I ever actually tap on. The google ads all try to cram way too much into the little bar, you can't really read what in the world it's advertising anyway.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    Interesting, considering the App Store guidelines specifically bans ad-only apps.

Explanations, Apple?
  • Reply 14 of 28
    ravedogravedog Posts: 33member
    Wow. And it's not even a universal app. Way to showcase your own flagship product... 2X mode.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    jetlawjetlaw Posts: 156member
    Users should be aware, however, that the Ad-based content will be supported by free core content that may appear in the form of banners, which could, in some instances, detract from users' advertising experience by obscuring portions of advertisements with banners containing free, high-quality content, tools, and features.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Nobody wants to see advertisements. Period.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

On the other hand, Google can't make a single app *without* advertisements.

I think I prefer it the Apple way. Really cool advertisements that are so scarce, they have to make an app just to show them off.

Native Gmail app: No ads

Native Calendar app: No ads

Gtalk app: no ads

Gvoice app: no ads

See the pattern?

The roughly 2 dozen paid apps currently on my phone: No ads (unless I enable them via settings to further support the dev)

Of my free apps maybe 1/2 of them have ads, and in most of those cases, the ads are unobtrusive, and rarely show up (such as after the game over screen in a game)

My ipod touch has more ads on it (though to be fair, all the apps on it are free apps)

Maybe you never tried an android phone before, that's understandable. But to claim that iOS doesn't have ads is to imply that you've never used one of those before (or you NEVER download free content) Advertisers arn't using the iAd network, but they're still getting ads onto iOS devices.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

I honestly don't know why more people don't use iAds, they are actually the only ones I ever actually tap on.

They are not global, and they are not cross-platform. So we left with annoying AdMob which I will never click.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Nobody wants to see advertisements. Period.

Yup. Downloading one right now.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    I'm already impressed with the 1st one I tried, especially this: Choose lipstick color based on your mood.

My wife would love an app like this.