Online US iPad 2 orders ship in 2-3 weeks as Apple's availability improves

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

With 18 different models all being given the exact same initial shipping estimate, I don't think it is reasonable for every model's actual shipping date to behave the same. It looks like Apple is shipping many early, but make sure you are comparing same SKUs before you determine fairness/unfairness...

Just lamenting my apparent lot in life. (BTW, both of mine are 32GB/3G-Verizon/Black). It just seems to me that to a certain point, all iPads are the same, and granted - a few take a different conveyor belt to the shipping dock, it shouldn't take that much longer to add the 3G board, lap the back cover on it and send it on its way.

I honestly haven't been paying real close attention to the specifics of the models that are shipping early, so it may be the white wifi-only versions that are shipping early...
  • Reply 42 of 64
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsimmons View Post

Ordered two on the 19th, and it still shows as shipping on the 21st of this month. I'll be checking it once an hour now to see if the status has changed. Seems to me that if someone else ordered on the 24th, and they're getting theirs early, mine would change as well.

You'll get yours before everyone who ordered the same model after you.
  • Reply 43 of 64
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsimmons View Post

Just lamenting my apparent lot in life. (BTW, both of mine are 32GB/3G-Verizon/Black). It just seems to me that to a certain point, all iPads are the same, and granted - a few take a different conveyor belt to the shipping dock, it shouldn't take that much longer to add the 3G board, lap the back cover on it and send it on its way.

I honestly haven't been paying real close attention to the specifics of the models that are shipping early, so it may be the white wifi-only versions that are shipping early...

It doesn't take any more time to MAKE the models. But if one sells twice as many as the other, and Apple didn't make twice as many, then it's going to take longer to get the ones that are more popular.

Surely you didn't think these were all made-to order, right?
  • Reply 44 of 64
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Mine is due to ship on the 15th (ordered 24th as well) but is currently under the "prepared for shipping" title.

It may occur sooner than expected..

Shipped, currently sitting in Hong Kong about to make its big flight.

Will be here well before its intended ship date
  • Reply 45 of 64
    ku nedku ned Posts: 1member
    Ordered 64G black wifi March 19. Order still shows shipping on April 21 (moved up 7 days about two weeks ago). Had the back engraved. How much extra time does the engraving add to typical order?
  • Reply 46 of 64
    jsimmonsjsimmons Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

It doesn't take any more time to MAKE the models. But if one sells twice as many as the other, and Apple didn't make twice as many, then it's going to take longer to get the ones that are more popular.

Surely you didn't think these were all made-to order, right?

Why are you copping an attitude?

Mine aren't engraved, so that removes any "custom" considerations, and color doesn't appear to have any impact on when/if a given order is bumped. The only time considerations regarding production are whether or not it has 3G (I haven't noticed that any of the bumped orders are 3G models), and whether or not engraving is involved. Other than those two things, all of the models are indeed made the same.

Further, if there's a 4-5 week wait for shipping an iPad2 that was ordered online, yes, I figure it's because they haven't got any made that fit my order, so in essence, they DO have to make it before they can ship it. Technically, that means it's made to order, but I'm not really interested in being that pedantic. I ordered mine on th 19th, and it still says it won't be shipped until the 21st, and since it's being shipped direct from China, it probably hasn't even been made yet.

So, let's examine my logic here. Someone that ordered a Black 64G wifi-only model placed his order on the 24th, and his order status was changed to prepared for shipping yesterday. I placed my order for two Blakc 32G/3G non-engraved units on the 19th, and shipping status STILL says "not shipped yet", and is STILL scheduled for Apr 21. I don't think that expecting my order to be bumped up as well is unreasonable at all.

Maybe you should step down off your high horse and put some thought into what you say.
  • Reply 47 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KU Ned View Post

Ordered 64G black wifi March 19. Order still shows shipping on April 21 (moved up 7 days about two weeks ago). Had the back engraved. How much extra time does the engraving add to typical order?

I'm in the same boat - ordered (two black/32/3G models) on 03/19, and scheduled to be shipped on 04/21. I suppose there's still hope that it will be bumped, but I'm not putting any money on it.
  • Reply 48 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iTunes View Post

If your order placed long time ago still show 3-4 or even 5 weeks to ship, why don't you just place a new order and cancel the old one?

We may think the orders coming into a queue, first come first serve. In real life, they may not be processed that way since they are processed in batch

I just went to the store page, and went through the motuions of selecting the same iPads I already have on order. The expected shipping delay says "2-3 weeks". At this point in time, that's about how long I have to wait given the originally stated delay of 4-5 weeks and where I am within that timeline. It wouldn't be a reasonable strategy at this point.

I've also tried a couple of times to find them locally, but have had no luck. My best tactic would be to just wait it out, but given the estimated shipping time posted on the store's web site for the same model I already ordered, the shhipping date *should* have been bumped up.
  • Reply 49 of 64
    The status of my order (64gb wifi black) from earlier in the thread, ordered March 16 and set to ship/deliver April 20/23, just changed to "Prepared for Shipment", but the ship date is still the 20th and deliver moved UP to April 25. So right now the plan seems to be: put it in a box, then sit on it for two weeks, and then send it on a slower boat!

I'm assuming and hoping that those aren't the last changes to that status page. :P
  • Reply 50 of 64
    doc_gdoc_g Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slinberg View Post

The status of my order (64gb wifi black) from earlier in the thread, ordered March 16 and set to ship/deliver April 20/23, just changed to "Prepared for Shipment", but the ship date is still the 20th and deliver moved UP to April 25. So right now the plan seems to be: put it in a box, then sit on it for two weeks, and then send it on a slower boat!

I'm assuming and hoping that those aren't the last changes to that status page. :P

I have the same order date for my 64gb wifi black (March 16) I saw the same change you did moving the delivery date from the 23rd to the 25th. I called Apple and they told me that it was now "Prepared for Shipment" which meant it would probably ship in the next day or so and woud probably arrive sometime next week. From their lips ....
  • Reply 51 of 64
    slinbergslinberg Posts: 34member
    Sweet! Fingers crossed.
  • Reply 52 of 64
    Well, my credit card was charged today, but my status hasn't changed. Am I correct in assuming that my order is prepared for shipment if they've charged my card?

EDIT ==========

My order status has changed to "Prepared for shipping", but the ship date is still Apr 21.
  • Reply 53 of 64
    kkayeekkayee Posts: 1member
    my status: ordered a 32gb/black/wifi on March 16, originally had it shipping on April 20, but was just shipped today, April 6.

so I don't really know how they're filling orders at this point, but I'm just super excited to finally get my ipad after nearly a month of waiting... and being a creeper at the apple store for a week and a half hoping to get one.
  • Reply 54 of 64
    Just got my shipping notice, 14 days ahead of schedule, 21 days after my March 16 order. Phew. The bad news is that it isn't slated to arrive until the 12th, so nearly a full week in transit. Coming from China perhaps? Hopefully that's a covering-the-ass estimate as well and it won't be quite that long... but even if it is, it'll still be a couple of weeks ahead of schedule, just under a month overall. I'll update this thread if anything else changes, for my fellow waiters...
  • Reply 55 of 64
    Quote:

Just got my shipping notice, 14 days ahead of schedule, 21 days after my March 16 order. Phew. The bad news is that it isn't slated to arrive until the 12th, so nearly a full week in transit. Coming from China perhaps? Hopefully that's a covering-the-ass estimate as well and it won't be quite that long... but even if it is, it'll still be a couple of weeks ahead of schedule, just under a month overall. I'll update this thread if anything else changes, for my fellow waiters...

As far as I know, they're being shipped direct from the factory in China.
  • Reply 56 of 64
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Mine is supposed to be shipped April 20, but they charged my credit card yesterday so maybe they'll beat that date.
  • Reply 57 of 64
    emcpemcp Posts: 1member
    Within the past 2 hours my order status (Black/16/Wifi) changed from 'Not yet shipped' to 'Prepared for shipment'. I ordered on March 17th and my Ship/Deliver dates haven't changed (yet) from Apr 21/Apr25. I noticed they had charged my credit card yesterday.
  • Reply 58 of 64
    Quote:

That's not bad considering the shipping event itself is traversing a weekend. Most of the time, we're talking 5 *work* days. If they shipped yesterday, and you get it on the 12th, I wouldn't call that bad news.
  • Reply 59 of 64
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Shipped, currently sitting in Hong Kong about to make its big flight.

Will be here well before its intended ship date

goddamn TNT are a pathetic bunch of retards, its within 100miles of me and they cant deliver till Tuesday?

EDIT: apparently its just hte office staff that are the retards. The delivery staff made sure it got to my door before the weekend.
  • Reply 60 of 64
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

Mine is supposed to be shipped April 20, but they charged my credit card yesterday so maybe they'll beat that date.

Preparing for shipment right now!