Motorola's Android 3.0 Honeycomb Xoom sales forecast slashed to 100,000 units

Comments

• Reply 21 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

Motorola HAD to launch because they were splitting the company into two --- despite the fact that Honeycomb was an ugly hack that was far from production quality.

MMI isn't doing well at all after the launch of the Xoom and the Atrix.
  • Reply 22 of 172
    gakuseigakusei Posts: 35member
    It's too bad the Xoom isn't doing better. Competition is good and iOS is feeling long in the tooth. Seems like competition can only help that.

It could come down to the same scenario as what happened with Android phones: eventually there are so many of them that the combined volume buoys the entire platform. The Evo, Droid X (and 2), Incredible, Atrix, Thunderbolt, etc don't outsell the iPhone individually, and nothing probably ever will. All of them combined make Android a pretty good platform.

Currently I prefer Android 2.2+ to iOS 4.3. I'm hoping for big things from iOS 5.
  • Reply 23 of 172
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    It's simply too expensive. It's not a lack of apps. There's tens of thousands that run on Honeycomb, tho only a few dozen so far optimized for it. Besides, only some small percentage of potential buyers know that and a smaller percentage yet would care. It's not that the Xoom itself is bug-ridden. It's not even that a tablet version of Flash is ready. All iPad owners already know Flash isn't needed. It just comes down to price and outlets. I for one would not buy any tablet that locks me into a term contract. I don't care how cutting edge it is now. Before two years is up you'll be ready to move on. And to be realistic, most users need no more than a wi-fi version only. Get a good tablet from a known name on the shelves of Target, Walmart and Staples at $400 and you'll see much better sales results. For most of the non-fanclub buyers, a worthy Android or WM7 tablet will get consideration.

IMO, it's the price that's most important to the majority of the public. Only a relative few (consumers) will truly pay a premium given real choices. Which we've yet to see from anyone other than Apple.
  • Reply 24 of 172
    gakuseigakusei Posts: 35member
    You can buy a 32GB WiFi only Xoom at Staples for $599.
  • Reply 25 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

IMO, it's the price that's most important to the majority of the public. Only a relative few will truly pay a premium given real choices. Which we've yet to see from anyone other than Apple.

Apple's product will always be viewed as premium, so if other tablets need to be competitive in price they'd have to sell for lower than that, problem is Apple's margin on iPad is already pretty low, plus Apple has its own retail outlets so the distribution cost is much lower than the competitiors, which means it's very very hard to sell a tablet cheaper than the iPad unless they want their margins to be like 15%, which is not going to be good for stock price.

That's also why Nook Color is the only cheap tablet, because B&N doesn't have to work on the margin of the tablet when the margin comes from book sales not the device.
  • Reply 26 of 172
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Wow, that's some real impressive figures there. 100,000 is how many iPads Apple sold yesterday probably.

It's still better than the Slate, who announced they sold out, trouble was they only made 5k and sales were only 9k (and the diff would take up to 3 months to fulfill)

Honestly I think the biggest thing that has killed Honeycomb is Flash. They really hyped that point but then the support wasn't there. I suspect a lot of folks that might buy are waiting into that 'in the future' becomes now.
  • Reply 27 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Honestly I think the biggest thing that has killed Honeycomb is Flash. They really hyped that point but then the support wasn't there. I suspect a lot of folks that might buy are waiting into that 'in the future' becomes now.

The hulu-like sites would just block the Xoom once Flash is installed on it, making this a moot point.
  • Reply 28 of 172
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    Would you call those numbers "Zunish"?
  • Reply 29 of 172
    scafe2scafe2 Posts: 61member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

iPhone is available on 5 carriers in my country and for free from many of them:

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/brands/iph...hone/index.htm

http://shop.o2.co.uk/mobile_phone/pa...e_4_16GB_Black

http://shop.orange.co.uk/iphone/choose-your-4g-plan

Yet I know more people with an Android phone than an iPhone. I think your reasons are a bit out, or at least don't consider any markets outside USA.

you may be right but that is only because there is so much crap the UK carriers are promoting at cheap prices,.. but when i ask people who i know if they would prefer an Iphone they all say yes,.. if they could afford one,..

The reason that android phones do ok in the UK is because of the price!!
  • Reply 30 of 172
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    I know we all keep reading that Apple's doesn't make much from the iPad, but other than "Apple says" there's really no evidence of that is there? I'm still of the belief there's ample profit in tablets. To believe otherwise would mean Apple's subscribed to the Google model of give away the product to make money on the ads/apps. I can't imagine Apple thinking Google has the right idea.
  • Reply 31 of 172
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I know we all keep reading that Apple's doesn't make much from the iPad, but other than "Apple says" there's really no evidence of that is there? I'm still of the belief there's ample profit in tablets. To believe otherwise would mean Apple's subscribed to the Google model of give away the product to make money on the ads/apps. I can't imagine Apple thinking Google has the right idea.

Where did you read that Apple said they don't make much from the iPad?
  • Reply 32 of 172
    ndn2007ndn2007 Posts: 15member
    Al Czervik: "Oh, this is the worst tablet I ever used. What, when you buy a Xoom tablet like this, I bet you get a free bowl of soup, huh?...
  • Reply 33 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ndn2007 View Post

Al Czervik: "Oh, this is the worst tablet I ever used. What, when you buy a Xoom tablet like this, I bet you get a free bowl of soup, huh?...

Looks good on you, though.
  • Reply 34 of 172
    dishdish Posts: 64member
    oh man, if the much hyped xoom is selling this poorly I can only imagine how the playbook will do....100 sales for the first week and maybe 10,000 for the quarter including free samples fire sale discounted price adjustments?
  • Reply 35 of 172
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

iPhone is available on 5 carriers in my country and for free from many of them:

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/brands/iph...hone/index.htm

http://shop.o2.co.uk/mobile_phone/pa...e_4_16GB_Black

http://shop.orange.co.uk/iphone/choose-your-4g-plan

Yet I know more people with an Android phone than an iPhone. I think your reasons are a bit out, or at least don't consider any markets outside USA.

Your small pool of friends doesn't reflect reality.
  • Reply 36 of 172
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Honeycomb buzz suffers colony collapse disorder

That line just cracks me up. Good ol' DED-style...

Seriously, the XOOM was destined for failure the moment it came out of the factory. What a shame that most will end up as door stops.
  • Reply 37 of 172
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I would have imagined 100,000 just from DaHarder.

I'm really fascinated by the fiction of the "tablet market" that was adopted as soon as the iPad went on sale. For over a year now, there have been an endless stream of articles/blog postings/financial prognostications that talk about the exploding "tablet market" and how people are really taking to "tablets" and attempting to account for the new found popularity of "tablets."

Whereas in fact they've only ever been talking about the iPad, and still are. The most diligent writers would duly note that Apple had a prohibitive share of that "market", but that was still treated like the normal jockeying for position among computer makers, or that the Very Next Awesome Android Tablet would quickly establish proper competition.

Now, at some point there really will be a tablet market, with sufficient sales from non-iPads for that terminology to make at least passing sense. But to date it's as if no one could bear the idea that Apple, and Apple alone, had figured out how to make the next iteration of personal computing and for all practical purposes "tablets" = "iPads."
  • Reply 38 of 172
    davemcm76davemcm76 Posts: 268member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scafe2 View Post

you may be right but that is only because there is so much crap the UK carriers are promoting at cheap prices,.. but when i ask people who i know if they would prefer an Iphone they all say yes,.. if they could afford one,..

The reason that android phones do ok in the UK is because of the price!!

Same here... I'm in the UK and know about 7 or 8 people with Android phones - at least 5 or 6 of those actually wanted an iPhone but couldn't push to the price required.

Meanwhile Android phones are being practically given away by every carrier...
  • Reply 39 of 172
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I'm still bemused that more people can't make a simple calculation of the TCO of a Smartphone, data and voice services included, and weight that against the upfront costs of a handset. Saving $99 or even $199 on the phone is a drop in the bucket compared to paying to operate that phone.
  • Reply 40 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

That line just cracks me up. Good ol' DED-style...

Seriously, the XOOM was destined for failure the moment it came out of the factory. What a shame that most will end up as door stops.

Yeah, that was a good line.