Motorola's Android 3.0 Honeycomb Xoom sales forecast slashed to 100,000 units

Comments

• Reply 61 of 172
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Menno View Post

So a device that more than likely made Motorola $70 million in revenue in 42 days (minimum) is a flop?

Yes, the ipad sold more. Who gives a crap? You don't need to have iOS numbers to escape being called a "Flop."

Any analyst that predicted several million sales this year when all they knew of was a Verizon xoom and possibly a wifi model was stupid. Full Stop. Just like the "analysts" that predicted a FULL RETAIL phone, sold only online, one that required a data plan, would sell millions a quarter (aka N1 launch).

It's clear that Analysts don't understand the tech market. They've had to "significantly" adjust their figures for EVERY tech product launch in the past few years. Why are you listening to them again?

Much better commentary on this news story can be found here:

http://www.bgr.com/2011/04/06/the-mo...nius+Report%29

Using Google's own figures of 0.2% Android devices running Honeycomb, 100,000 Xooms equates to around 50 million Android devices in existence.

The actual number of Android devices counted in this survey will give a fairly accurate sales figure.

Source
  • Reply 62 of 172
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

The 100k number was based off of an ESTIMATION based on a graph posted by Google on Android OS adoption. The only way to have a registered device there is if the device is active and connected with a gmail account at the time the survey was taken.

My estimation... you'll never see any more than 1 or 2 Xooms in the wild during your lifetime.

I know of several people in my circle alone that have iPads... mostly non tech types. I haven't found one of them who has even heard about the Xoom... must be those catchy ads they have.
  • Reply 63 of 172
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Using Google's own figures of 0.2% Android devices running Honeycomb, 100,000 Xooms equates to around 50 million Android devices in existence.

The actual number of Android devices counted in this survey will give a fairly accurate sales figure.

Source

But the fact remains that it's not an official number. They don't have any actual figures to back that up. On top of that, the wifi version of the Xoom had only been available for 5 days before those numbers were tabulated. This means that a majority of those "100,000" were of the $800 3g version, aka, the Verizon only model.

So you're looking at at least 100,000 tablets sold when it was only available in one country, on one carrier, and in one model.

Since those figures came out the wifi has been on sale for 5 more days, it's slowly becoming available in other countries, but it hasn't had a carrier launch anywhere else yet.

Again, calling 75,000 $800 units sold in a month a "Failure" is stupid, and analysts who were expecting this thing to sell millions were deluding themselves.

And Again:

http://www.bgr.com/2011/04/06/the-mo...ly-not-a-flop/
  • Reply 64 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Would you call those numbers "Zunish"?

At least it has narrowly avoided the disgraceful title "next of Kin."
  • Reply 65 of 172
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

My estimation... you'll never see any more than 1 or 2 Xooms in the wild during your lifetime.

I know of several people in my circle alone that have iPads... mostly non tech types. I haven't found one of them who has even heard about the Xoom... must be those catchy ads they have.

I personally know 9 people with xooms. I know roughly double that number with ipads. And what really pushed iOS branding isn't the ads (though they are some of the best in the industry) it's how basically every prime time show makes heavy use of the technology during their shows.

Yet another reason why "Personal experience' is pointless when discussing national (or international) trends.
  • Reply 66 of 172
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Here you go, Peter Oppenheimer rather than Tim Cook, from 21st July 2008:

Apple plans mystery "product transition" before September's end

Quote:

During his quarterly financial results call, Apple's chief financial officer Peter Oppenheimer revealed that the company will make a key "product transition" that cuts back on its profit margins to help shut out rivals.

Quote:

Apple is also still believed to be developing its multi-touch tablet but has slipped out little extra information beyond leaks near the start of 2008.

• Reply 67 of 172
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I personally know 9 people with xooms.

You personally know people that own a Xoom? Is this one person within multidimensional travel or employees of Motorola?

Quote:

I know roughly double that number with ipads.

I have a hard believing that, too.

Quote:

And what really pushed iOS branding isn't the ads (though they are some of the best in the industry) it's how basically every prime time show makes heavy use of the technology during their shows.

That sounds absolutely insane!

Quote:

Yet another reason why "Personal experience' is pointless when discussing national (or international) trends.

I can tell you about an experience with a person I?d describe as pointless.
  • Reply 68 of 172
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Moto might have sold 200,000 Xoom's if it had a full product line at launch. it might have sold 300,000 if it had an international launch. now the wifi model is coming and some international soon. so it may be too soon to call it a "flop." but it sure is off to a slow start. so Moto is reportedly cutting back on production.

meanwhile the iPad2 is selling like hotcakes with a full product line, and ramping up international sales. Apple can't build them fast enough. reportedly needs 4 million a month.

assuming all the other Android tab sales (not shipped) total as much as the Xoom will alone once "fully launched," that gives Apple about a 90% market share these days.

i expect we will see the improved Son of Xoom in the Fall, along with all the other Andorid and OEM tablets. we'll see how thye do.

btw, whatever happened to the Chrome OS tablet?
  • Reply 69 of 172
    Quote:

I wouldn't say personal experience is pointless... it just depends on how smart you are at deciphering the information you've been given.
  • Reply 70 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

Moto might have sold 200,000 Xoom's if it had a full product line at launch. it might have sold 300,000 if it had an international launch. now the wifi model is coming and some international soon. so it may be too soon to call it a "flop." but it sure is off to a slow start. so Moto is reportedly cutting back on production.

Whether it's a flop or not depends on the number required to hit break even.

Some guy in the back of his garage didn't throw this thing together in his spare time.
  • Reply 71 of 172
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

meanwhile the iPad2 is selling like hotcakes with a full product line, and ramping up international sales. Apple can't build them fast enough. reportedly needs 4 million a month.

assuming all the other Android tab sales (not shipped) total as much as the Xoom will alone once "fully launched," that gives Apple about a 90% market share these days.

i expect we will see the improved Son of Xoom in the Fall, along with all the other Andorid and OEM tablets. we'll see how thye do.

btw, whatever happened to the Chrome OS tablet?

1) I think 100k for something that costs more than the iPad of the same storage capacity, an Alpha OS, poor system performance and inferior HW, missing promised features, no viable ecosystem, and an introductory price point that is 160% as much as an iPad really isn?t that bad. But I do have to wonder if they have or will make a profit, or if any customers are truly happy with the experience to buy another Xoom in the future. I also wonder what kind of upgrade policy those users can expect from Moto and how much the next Moto tablet will push on the Xoom to back of the service and support list.

2) Whatever happened to Chrome OS, in general?
  • Reply 72 of 172
    I just bought a WIFI Xoom and I had to go to several different stores to get one as all of the Best Buys in Dallas were sold out. Got it at Best Buy.

You couldn't give me an iPad because I don't want to be hemmed in by Steve's idea of what one can or can't do.

Talk about 1984!
  • Reply 73 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wickedone View Post

I just bought a WIFI Xoom and I had to go to several different stores to get one as all of the Best Buys in Dallas were sold out. Got it at Best Buy.

You couldn't give me an iPad because I don't want to be hemmed in by Steve's idea of what one can or can't do.

Talk about 1984!

We've got a live one...
  • Reply 74 of 172
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Has it at least been updated to allow the SD card and USB ports to work? Any date on when they let you mail it back to the factory so they can finish building it?

I use a lot of Google toys for the web and absolutely everything always feels beta if not alpha and this is years later in many cases. I seems the whole Google mentality is 'develop as you go' from feed back and nothing is ever really finished ... which is great for some things but a disaster for hardware manufacturers. Not that they can complain at free but I bet we see many going back to MS or doing it themselves. All of which will be a tad too late for this boat.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

2) Whatever happened to Chrome OS, in general?

Just on the second point ... I had never used Chrome OS till last week when i installed it in a VM to play with on a Mac.

It struck me immediately as simply being a copy of MobileMe all dressed up in its very own browser to access what is nothing more than a web interface. At least Mobile Me is accessible from any decent browser on any platform and doesn't market itself as an OS!

Maybe I'm missing something but that was my impression at least.

Meanwhile i look forward to the next generation of MobileMe but then so are the Google Chrome dev team probably.
  • Reply 75 of 172
    error
  • Reply 76 of 172
    Quote:

Whether it's a flop or not depends on the number required to hit break even.

Some guy in the back of his garage didn't throw this thing together in his spare time.

yeah, i'm sure Moto is going to take a sizeable $ loss on the Xoom. lots of one-time costs, plus a big marketing budget (which marketing is terrible). Moto would say they want to "build the brand" and recoup the loss later this year with the Son of Xoom. like the Droid. we'll see ...

it's nothing like the Samusung 7" Galaxy tablet fiasco. 2.1 million shipped! how many sold - 10%? 20%? what a massive blunder! the losses on that utter total flop will be in the $ hundreds of millions. some head at Samsung is gonna roll ....
  • Reply 77 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wickedone View Post

Talk about 1984!

Too funny. That cracks me up.

So now instead of Steve's ideas (the acknowledged genius he is). You have what ... Google's rushed out copy which is open -ish (not so much now) that you or someone else can mess with and screw up?

That sounds like a plan.

p.s. come back in a year and tell us what the resale value of your 1st gen Xoom is at that point. I'd be interested to know if they plummet to door stop value as fast as I suspect they will.
  • Reply 78 of 172
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    That should just about cover manufacturing and advertising. Had Motorola invested in Research & Development, they would be in the red.
  • Reply 79 of 172
    Quote:

We've got a live one...

yeah, a Moto-Bot. some ad agency has been planting obvious astroturf comments about the Xoom around the blogs from the start. one favorite line i saw a lot was "i've used both now and ...".
  • Reply 80 of 172
    Quote:

I personally know 9 people with xooms. I know roughly double that number with ipads. And what really pushed iOS branding isn't the ads (though they are some of the best in the industry) it's how basically every prime time show makes heavy use of the technology during their shows.

You must mean DaHarder. We're all aware he bought 3 for each family member.