Motorola's Android 3.0 Honeycomb Xoom sales forecast slashed to 100,000 units

Comments

• Reply 81 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wickedone View Post

I just bought a WIFI Xoom and I had to go to several different stores to get one as all of the Best Buys in Dallas were sold out. Got it at Best Buy.

You couldn't give me an iPad because I don't want to be hemmed in by Steve's idea of what one can or can't do.

Talk about 1984!

Bullshit.

Just checked online and nearly all have stock.

Astroturfer.
  • Reply 82 of 172
    archosarchos Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Don't encourage me too much. I might have to call out Steve Jobs for using the word

flummoxed.

Going full circle, I think DED has used "flummoxed" to describe Apple's competitors pretty regularly going back to 2007.

http://www.google.com/search?q=site:....com+flummoxed
  • Reply 83 of 172
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I am sure Motorola will use the term "smooth" in describing the Xoom sale.
  • Reply 84 of 172
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archos View Post

Going full circle, I think DED has used "flummoxed" to describe Apple's competitors pretty regularly going back to 2007.

http://www.google.com/search?q=site:....com+flummoxed

Has anyone ever seen DED, Steve Jobs, and quinney in the same room at the same time?
  • Reply 85 of 172
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markm49uk View Post

Bullshit.

Just checked online and nearly all have stock.

Astroturfer.

He comment may very well be BS, and he comment about being "hemmed in by Steve's idea of what one can or can't do? certainly doesn?t make him sound legitimate, but ignoring all that it?s certainly possible and likely, anecdotally speaking, that online availability for the actual product in stores is inaccurate. Whether it?s an ingenious way to get more foor traffive or inattention to detail which saves money from keeping the systems also unpdated. but it seems to work this way for many large stores.
  • Reply 86 of 172
    archosarchos Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Menno View Post

So a device that more than likely made Motorola $70 million in revenue in 42 days (minimum) is a flop?

Yes, the ipad sold more. Who gives a crap? You don't need to have iOS numbers to escape being called a "Flop."

Any analyst that predicted several million sales this year when all they knew of was a Verizon xoom and possibly a wifi model was stupid. Full Stop. Just like the "analysts" that predicted a FULL RETAIL phone, sold only online, one that required a data plan, would sell millions a quarter (aka N1 launch).

It's clear that Analysts don't understand the tech market. They've had to "significantly" adjust their figures for EVERY tech product launch in the past few years. Why are you listening to them again?

Much better commentary on this news story can be found here:

http://www.bgr.com/2011/04/06/the-mo...nius+Report%29

It's a flop when you develop a product chasing the taillights of last year's product, end up blindsided by this year's product, and end up losing money. Look at MMI earnings: already back in the red after a brief year of profitability when it didn't have to compete against Apple, segregated briefly by Verizon's wing.

The Xoom flopped, the Asterix flopped, Motorola is now in big trouble. That's why they're scrambling to come up with their own proprietary blend of Linux. Google's Android was half the reason both products flopped.

As for BGR, if you want to cry about DED being an Apple fanboy, well the "better commentary" you point to is simply laughable. Choice lines:

"The tablet market is barely a year old and it?s dominated by a single device ? Apple?s iPad."

No, the iPad market is a year old. Tablet market has been around since the early 90s, but nobody has figured it out until now. It's people like BGR's Zach who predicted that the Xoom was going to fare better. They were wrong.

"Motorola has sold 100,000 XOOM tablets in less than a month and a half, which is an average of over 75,000 units per month. That?s a flop?"

Yes, 75,000 * 12 = less than a million units a year. That's worse than the Zune. A flop by any measure, especially for the headlined, ultra hyped, Google-touted flagship Honeycomb tablet. It's a massive flop, bad enough to kill Android 3.0 as dead as the Zune OS. Never mind that 100/2=50 and not 75.

You think that article is "better" because it says what you want to hear. But it is childishly wrong, as are you. Motorola isn't bouncing back or organically growing Xoom sales. It's canceling production orders! It's going to pull the plug 5x faster than Microsoft killed the Zune. It'll be gone before the next wave of Honeycomb tablets begin their drumbeat/dismal/doubt/death cycle.
  • Reply 87 of 172
    boriscletoboriscleto Posts: 159member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

That would be in exactly 14 days from now. April 20.

Apple reports it's earnings on Hitler's birthday?
  • Reply 88 of 172
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boriscleto View Post

A coincidence just like the last even just happened to fall on Job?s birthday.
  • Reply 89 of 172
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

Godwin's Law

This thread is over!

j/k
  • Reply 90 of 172
    Quote:

No, they report them on the anniversary of the Columbine massacre.
  • Reply 91 of 172
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Wow, that's some real impressive figures there. 100,000 is how many iPads Apple sold yesterday probably.

Poor droidy looks all green. Maybe he needs CPR!
  • Reply 92 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Poor droidy looks all green. Maybe he needs CPR!

Don't look at me. I'm not helping it.
  • Reply 93 of 172
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

... and this is why some people believe the ATF/FBI ended the siege at Waco on April 19th.

... but I digress broadly.

Can't wait for those earnings!
  • Reply 94 of 172
    swingerjswingerj Posts: 21member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

"experimental support for Flash is still not able to deliver reasonable performance even for web videos"

You mean the final version of Flash, available on Android Market that delivers video perfectly as the below example shows?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq6xzyxVYg0

The funny thing that first struck me in the video was the clear reflection of the back of an iPhone4 that the guy used to film his "proof that flash is fast". The 2nd thing I noticed is that it took 30 to 45 seconds to load in the same amount of time in the video. He blames this on his "slow network", but running the same videos on my slow network loaded videos in less than 45 seconds for the whole thing. Either he has a dial up connection or the flash component loads and processes video VERY slowly.

Lastly...who in God's Green Earth did they let create that interface for flash? HUGE ugly buttons that cover a good portion of the video. Funny thing to me was the buttons got BIGGER when he shifted the video to full screen.

Thanks for the video to prove the point that Flash is a dying beast. Much appreciated.
  • Reply 95 of 172
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

A coincidence just like the last even just happened to fall on Job?s birthday.

That seems very appropriate, they should put a lock on that idea.
  • Reply 96 of 172
    hunabkuhunabku Posts: 55member
    Please know that us apple fans, especially the ones who have been around for a while, are wounded from our past of being MS underdogs.

Now we're relishing in our market dominance and feel good when other companies product sales suck compared to apple's. Logically, there is little threat to apples position - at least for a good while. However apple fans are so wounded that some of us want to completely crush anyone who "might" threaten our dominance - even though lots of us say we like competition - and we do.

We just can't stand the thought of being marginalized again. For me i just want apple to keep their dominance long enough to remain the 1st choice platform of developers for years to come. All they have to do NOW is preload the market with enough powerful machines and that will provide years of a solid (non-fragmented) base market for developers to launch first on apple.

If apple also keeps pushing out APIs/development environments and couples innovative hardware with those APIs etc, it will encourage the creation of one-of-kind, first to apple platform apps that will allow us fans to deservedly puff out our chests and continue to smile down upon lesser brands.
  • Reply 97 of 172
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

"experimental support for Flash is still not able to deliver reasonable performance even for web videos"

You mean the final version of Flash, available on Android Market that delivers video perfectly as the below example shows?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq6xzyxVYg0

Too bad all those videos play in browser and full screen on the iPad... They are certainly available in HTML5, how do we know from that video they were even playing in flash...
  • Reply 98 of 172
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I'm still bemused that more people can't make a simple calculation of the TCO of a Smartphone, data and voice services included, and weight that against the upfront costs of a handset. Saving $99 or even $199 on the phone is a drop in the bucket compared to paying to operate that phone.

I'm always bemused that people like YOU don't take the TCO into account.

Congrats, you bought a iPhone sans contract and how much did you save on the TCO? ZERO.

Check this out according to the costs we here in New Zealand have to pay on the Vodafone network.

iPhone 4 32GB on Smart3 contract:

3GB data free

120 minutes free

600 texts free

Total: $81.75 + $379 for iPhone = $460.75

iPhone 4 32GB without contract based on Smart3 rates:

3GB data @ $0.11/MB = $337.92

120 minutes @ $0.71/minute = $85.20

600 texts @ $0.20/txt = $120.00

Total: $543.12 + $1328 for iPhone = $1817.12

iPhone 4 32GB without contract:

3GB data @ $0.20/MB = $614.40

120 minutes @ $0.91/minute = $109.20

600 texts @ $0.20/txt = $120.00

Total: $843.6 + $1328 for iPhone = $2171.60

Recap, the prices are as follows:

On Smart3 Contract = $460.75

Smart3 Contract with Full Price iPhone = $1817.12

Off Contract Full Price iPhone = $2171.60

That's based on one month with the phone included, let's total it for two years shall we?

On Smart3 Contract = $2341.00

Smart3 Contract with Full Price iPhone = $14362.00

Off Contract Full Price iPhone = $21574.40

Hmm, I'm failing to see how you save more money by buying the phone outright rather than going on a fixed 2 year contract.
  • Reply 99 of 172
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wickedone View Post

I just bought a WIFI Xoom and I had to go to several different stores to get one as all of the Best Buys in Dallas were sold out. Got it at Best Buy.

You couldn't give me an iPad because I don't want to be hemmed in by Steve's idea of what one can or can't do.

Talk about 1984!

Have you READ Nineteen Eighty Four? I'm picking most people who spout lines like this haven't. Job's control over the user experience isn't anything like the misinformation, manipulation of news, or degradation of the language as is suggested in the novel.

Incidentally, you also didn't read this article because it mentioned how Google has controlled the source code to Honeycomb as well.

Why are people like you continually allowed to be oxygen thieves?
  • Reply 100 of 172
    neiltc13neiltc13 Posts: 182member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SwingerJ View Post

The funny thing that first struck me in the video was the clear reflection of the back of an iPhone4 that the guy used to film his "proof that flash is fast". The 2nd thing I noticed is that it took 30 to 45 seconds to load in the same amount of time in the video. He blames this on his "slow network", but running the same videos on my slow network loaded videos in less than 45 seconds for the whole thing. Either he has a dial up connection or the flash component loads and processes video VERY slowly.

Lastly...who in God's Green Earth did they let create that interface for flash? HUGE ugly buttons that cover a good portion of the video. Funny thing to me was the buttons got BIGGER when he shifted the video to full screen.

Thanks for the video to prove the point that Flash is a dying beast. Much appreciated.

The buttons are controlled by the developer of the Flash container, so in this case it would be CNet that designed those.