Android to be on 49% of smartphones by 2012, leaving Apple's iOS with 19%, Gartner predicts

Comments

• Reply 21 of 86
    Companies like Gartner will "interpret" the data to whoever paying them. If not Google, then Microsoft is the one behind the study.

The only scenario that it will be true is if Apple never come out with a low-end iPhone in the next 5 years AND Google allows Android on white-label, no name manufacturers.
  • Reply 22 of 86
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member
    I don't know wait real purpose all those prediction serve. What is the real meaning of those meaningless news. I've seen other blog giving Windows Phone 7 the absolute champ in 2012.

Actually all those news manipulate their numbers to minimize iOS representation. How could you compare Mobile OS considering all Android device while you getting only iPhone numbers? This is only 1/4 of the iOS device available from Apple.

To get a valid picture of the real market share of iOS, you need to count iPad and iPod at least, AppleTV should be include too. iOS go lot more beyond Phone space than any other mobile OS right now, and everyone is envying Apple on that status right now, this is why headline news like this one do what ever they can to downplay iOS.

Like I said in a other thread, with the iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and AppleTV sharing all the same hardware with Apps running on all device (minus aTV for now) and that can output full HD thru HDMI. Apple got there the biggest guns to crash the gaming console industry.

Who care is the iPhone alone doesnt surpass all Android phone combine? If you count all iOS device, Apple alone will still got a bigger marketshare than Android.

Beside, all provider are dumping their Android phone. With so many model of the same phone, they been force to liquidate their inventory. A lot of people that doesn't know what they need will buy what the salesman are giving them, you only have to see all promo you got on Android and Windows 7 Phone (Buy one got one free, get a Xbox 360 for free with a Windows 7 phones), they really are desperate sold any smartphone to anyone. I have try my self, I've go in a big provider store here in Canada (Rogers), and I've let the salesmen giving my his pitch on how better his nameless Android phone is better than iPhone. I've ask only 2 question, first: when and how I can get a upgrade for is out of date 2.2 Android phone, and if this model was the one they have the most in stock in the back store.

Yet I have not seen any Android phone that have being supported by his maker year after, Android phone maker are too busy to put new crappy model on the market for supporting they old customer. I would like to know if anyone have called Motorola, HTC, LG or Samsung for getting tech support on their phone. People who using Android phone generally doesn't know who will offer support and update for their phone.
  • Reply 23 of 86
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

But really, Apple isn't worried about their smartphone market share any longer. They already lost that fight....

What fight was that? The one where Microsoft sold an OS and Google just gave away an OS? You mean that fight? The fight that Apple isn't even in.

Quote:

They've moved on to a more lucrative tablet market where there's much less in the way of competition.

Did you actually read Gartner's figures? Estimated 90M iPhones this year. That means around $50 BILLION in revenue for Apple. I don't call that 'moving on'!
  • Reply 24 of 86
    ssampathssampath Posts: 10member
    To many there are too many manufacturers plying Android phones - Moto, HTC, Dell, ASUS, Acer, Sony etc. I don't think any of them is making a profit with these phones (maybe HTC I am not sure). I think we are going to see a few of them drop out in the next couple of years.

This article is very interesting to me - http://www.electronista.com/articles....iphone.in.it/

When given a choice 92% choose the iPhone. I am convinced most Android phone users are cost conscious and app/value unconscious customers. There in no point in Apple going are these as there is no money to be made there.

While everyone seems to be predicting market share I don't see profitability predictions anywhere! Already Apple make 50% of all the profits from cell phone sales - is this going up even more?
  • Reply 25 of 86
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    The thing MSFT had going for it is support. Android doesn't have that. That's going to be the single biggest factor in determining the success of Android going forward.
  • Reply 26 of 86
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    All Apple has to do is come up with a cheap iphone and those numbers will go down the toilet
  • Reply 27 of 86
    Let's not get worked up by these 'forecasts'. Nobody knows what would really happen in 2012, let alone 2015, so I usually just treat these forecasts as comedy.
  • Reply 28 of 86
    gwlaw99gwlaw99 Posts: 134member
    Apple needs to have different size iPhones like it does for every other product that it makes. At least one with a 4" screen.
  • Reply 29 of 86
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

All Apple has to do is come up with a cheap iphone and those numbers will go down the toilet

Actually they'd have to release iOS to different handset manufacturers...
  • Reply 30 of 86
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

What fight was that? The one where Microsoft sold an OS and Google just gave away an OS? You mean that fight? The fight that Apple isn't even in.

Wow, I have no idea where you plucked that one from. You moved the goal posts all the way to another town. The article refers to market share if you take the time to read it. And that fight they've already lost. Can't be more clear can it?
  • Reply 31 of 86
    neiltc13neiltc13 Posts: 182member
    Haha, yesterday when there was a topic about iPad market share being high, it was the most important thing in the world to you guys. Today when we get one about iPhone marketshare not being that great, we have people saying it is "meaningless" and "misinformation".

Make up your minds guys
  • Reply 32 of 86
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Apple already has a $49 phone.

The difference is... you're comparing "Android" which is a multi-phone, multi-manufacturer OS..... to the iPhone.

Motorola makes the Droid 2, Droid X, Droid Pro, Atrix, Citrus, Cliq, Backflip, etc, etc, etc.

HTC makes the Thunderbolt, Evo, Epic, Shift, Incredible, G2, Wildfire, Aria, etc, etc, etc.

Apple only has the iPhone 4 in two capacities on GSM and CDMA... and the iPhone 3GS.

Yet... Apple makes more money from just those 5 models than all the Android manufacturers combined. At the end of the day... that's what matters to Apple... not market share.

Only Google wants more Android market share to collect their pennies from ads.
  • Reply 33 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zaren View Post

Interesting report here about smartphone market share:

http://mashable.com/2011/02/01/niels...e-marketshare/

If you look at that graph, Gartner might be on to something. For all the push Apple's gotten, they haven't increased market share in the last year or so. I know that for as big an Apple fanboy as I am, I'm toting an Android phone..

I see a report for just the USA, covering a time period when the iPhone was only available from AT&T. As such, it's not really that interesting.

What will be interesting is the results over the next 2 years, as all the "2 year contracts" expire for all those Verizon customers who didn't have the iPhone as a choice.

I'm hoping Virgin Mobile gets the iPhone soon, especially with plans like 300 minutes + unlimited data for $25 a month. They have the iPhone in other markets.
  • Reply 34 of 86
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Does anyone here care about Android related news like this?

APPLE insider, not Android insider. I know Android is an iOS competitor, but this is BARELY Apple related news, and from Gartner?

Come the fu** on.
  • Reply 35 of 86
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpiceWare View Post

I see a report for just the USA, covering a time period when the iPhone was only available from AT&T. As such, it's not really that interesting.

What will be interesting is the results over the next 2 years, as all the "2 year contracts" expire for all those Verizon customers who didn't have the iPhone as a choice.

I'm hoping Virgin Mobile gets the iPhone soon, especially with plans like 300 minutes + unlimited data for $25 a month. They have the iPhone in other markets.

You get what you pay for though, don't you? I mean I've never heard of any stellar coverage from Virgin lol
  • Reply 36 of 86
    bwinskibwinski Posts: 164member
    So, unless I've missed something, or all the adoption data is being made up, or Apple's earnings reports have the same validity as something that comes out of Donald's Trump's face, then it's clear, Gartner has gone into the fiction business...
  • Reply 37 of 86
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The article refers to market share if you take the time to read it. And that fight they've already lost. Can't be more clear can it?

Whatever....I guess Mercedes lost the market share war to Toyota too. Yeah right! Do you really think Mercedes ever tried to beat Toyota in sales? Do you think any Toyota owner wouldn't rather have a Mercedes?

I have tried to help my co-worker figure out how to do some relatively simple tasks on his Droid and that thing is a piece of crap in my opinion.

Apple may not have market share but they certainly have mind share wrapped up. People don't line up to buy Android phones. And frankly if and when Android gets to 49% it will be from people who just get sold some phone and they could care less since they are just dumb phone type people who bought a smart phone. They won't surf the web, they won't get their email, they won't buy an app, they will just make calls and txt. Just like my co-worker. He has had his Droid for over a year and has never once used the web on it. And he is an executive, not a clueless idiot. He just doesn't care about anything except the GPS, txt and making phone calls.
  • Reply 38 of 86
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I'm surprised you guys are raising such a fuss over market share. Market share is important up to a point but you miss the major example that gives its full context.

Windows owns over 90% of the computer market. Apple owns less than 5%. What difference has that really made in the successfulness and profitability of the Macintosh?

Android is inevitably going to own a majority of the mobile phone market. If Nokia and Microsoft can get their act together they may be able to compete with Android. Apple will never own a majority of the mobile phone market. That really will have little bearing on the success and profitability of the iPhone.
  • Reply 39 of 86
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Apple will never own a majority of the mobile phone market. That really will have little bearing on the success and profitability of the iPhone.

Agree with you there.
  • Reply 40 of 86
    galaxytabgalaxytab Posts: 122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

Did you actually read Gartner's figures? Estimated 90M iPhones this year. That means around $50 BILLION in revenue for Apple. I don't call that 'moving on'!

If Apple isn't involved in that "fight", why does Jobs insist on mentioning Android in keynotes and fiscal reports? When Jobs started ranting about "twitterdeck" and using misquotes from Samsung to bolster up his keynotes, that shows us that the "fight" is very much on and that he feels the need to bash the competition.