Acer's Iconia Touchbook takes on iPad, MacBook Air using Windows 7

Comments

• Reply 21 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bfulda View Post

honestly, the idea is pretty neat. If it was a MBA or MBP with the dual screens with the same battery life and such then I feel it would be in line of things to come. But with the dismal battery life and price and such, it's just not gonna fly. However, for awhile it will give those diehard windoze lovers something they think they can brag about being cutting edge and or different. They will just have to do it while it's plugged in and they have a harness on.

I agree - treating this like a full sized product, the idea is interesting. I think even the price can be justified when you compare it to a MacBook Pro (which the specs imply it is close to). The main problems are the weight and battery life. And I think those would be just too much to justify, especially given it may be hard to find a reason to get this product as opposed to a normal laptop.
  • Reply 22 of 83
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    How is this a competitor to an iPad or an Air? It is completely different to both of them. Unless it's because they are all computers with an OS and screens, in that case they're identical. In that case a Range Rover is the same thing as a BMW Z4, they both have wheels and people fit inside them.
  • Reply 23 of 83
    stourquestourque Posts: 364member
    At least they won't have to worry about the shortage of touchscreens.
  • Reply 24 of 83
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

This doesnt compete with the ipad, their honeycomb tablet is the one that competes with the ipad. Why doesnt DED make a worthwhile comparison, rather than this retarded comparison?

It depends on what comparison Acer is making. If they're comparing this to an iPad, then it's fair for DED to do so as well. But I don't know what Acer is saying about this as I've only seen a quick blurb about it before, and dismissed it as being impractical.
  • Reply 25 of 83
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
  • Reply 26 of 83
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Heavy, poor battery life, overpriced.......this product just makes the Ipsd2 look even better. What was Acer thinking when they released this product?????

Enough said.

Aced R.I.P.
  • Reply 27 of 83
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    And this is why Apple as a company has no competition and will remain the most profitable tech company for decades to come. This is just the most clueless product ever produced by one of the many pc vendors out there.
  • Reply 28 of 83
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    I would love to see Flash running on both screens to see what the battery life is like. May require an external battery pack to keep this puppy running!! It even has wheels for the ultimate in power portability!!!

• Reply 29 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

Like a big Nintendo DS?

You beat me to it. I was going to say:

"It's just a big iPod touch" Hmm... sounds familiar lol. Only unlike the 'big iPod touch', this one looks like it will maybe sell worse than Xoom.

Quote:

Do the Apple-competitors remotely have a distant clue?

It's becoming increasingly clear they don't. Why else would such a product make it further than a whiteboarding session?

In fact, almost none of Apple's competitors seem to get it. Look at the deluge of top-level brass among the competition that seem to be in a race to publicly embarrass themselves with comments that belie their failure to grasp the real underlying reasons for Apple's success and their own failure. Anyone who has been reading this site for a while knows exactly what I'm talking about.

I'm not so much surprised anymore at DOA-product announcements, but I am wondering if and when anyone WILL finally figure out what it is about Apple that they need to actually compete with. It's not products, btw. I suspect it has more to do with the vision/values/culture/objectives at Apple of which their products are a function. That is the 'clue' they don't have. And they won't start to compete until they figure that out. The later it is that they do, the more distance they'll have to catch up.

I hope someone does get it though, because Real Competition will drive Apple to improve more and faster, which means we the consumers will benefit. I dislike Android, but it's the best thing to happen to iOS since SJ.

P.S. I wonder how long is the longest any iPad 2 has sat on a retail shelf during business hours. I'd bet it's mere minutes.
  • Reply 30 of 83
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    When I was working at the meatworks there was a 6 month old calf that had turned itself around in the race and wouldn't move forward.

I climbed down into the race to turn it around. It instead lifted me off my feet and slammed me into the door at the other end of the race.

All I'm saying is just because you think you can take on someone bigger than you it doesn't mean you should.

Acer is going to get slammed on this one.

NOTE: a six month old calf weighs quite a bit more than a 5.5' 55Kg weed of a kid and has a lot of power in its youth.
  • Reply 31 of 83
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    Quote:

This doesnt compete with the ipad, their honeycomb tablet is the one that competes with the ipad. Why doesnt DED make a worthwhile comparison, rather than this retarded comparison?

he didn't make the comparison, he referenced a Bloomberg article that did. I'm not sure if Acer made the comparison or not, here's their official page on the product

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/iconiajmp

Is it just me, or does the Acer Ring remind anyone of this spoof

Perhaps they thought it was a real product?
  • Reply 32 of 83
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    They're not even the first to market with such an idea, they seem to have forgotten about the Toshiba Libretto W100 and its "limited availability":

http://us.toshiba.com/computers/laptops/libretto
  • Reply 33 of 83
    jj.yuanjj.yuan Posts: 213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Train Wreck.

ditto
  • Reply 34 of 83
    itudyitudy Posts: 5member
    heh, I'd hate to see how the blue screen of death looks on both screens at the same time XD.
  • Reply 35 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LTMP View Post

It looks to me like they heard all the interest in the MS Courier and thought they could pull it off.

Interesting they heard of the Courier but apparently weren't aware there was an iPad out there trouncing all the competition soundly.

I remember seeing Courier and thinking it was somewhat interesting, but consider this:

First Engadget story on Courier: Sep 22, 2009

iPad announced: Jan 27, 2010

iPad released: Apr 3, 2010

Courier confirmed and killed by MS: Apr 29, 2010

i.e., when I first heard of Courier, I thought it was cool because I hadn't seen a good tablet yet. Neither, apparently, had MS.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LTMP View Post

IF MS decides to scrap an idea, it probably isn't worth going after.

this ^
  • Reply 36 of 83
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

he didn't make the comparison, he referenced a Bloomberg article that did. I'm not sure if Acer made the comparison or not, here's their official page on the product

Just because some other idiot makes a comparison, doesnt mean DED has to continue the stupidity in his own article.
  • Reply 37 of 83
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:

I totally agree with your first sentence. I will add that this does not compete with anything but that project MS threw out.
  • Reply 38 of 83
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iTudy View Post

heh, I'd hate to see how the blue screen of death looks on both screens at the same time XD.

Stereoscopic BSOD!

• Reply 39 of 83
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It depends on what comparison Acer is making. If they're comparing this to an iPad, then it's fair for DED to do so as well. But I don't know what Acer is saying about this as I've only seen a quick blurb about it before, and dismissed it as being impractical.

I have never seen Acer claim this is a competitor to the iPad. Now their tablet range, the honeycomb versions, they are marketing towards the ipad. They are bringing out hteir 10.1" honeycomb tablet (released locally 20th April) at exactly the same price as the ipad.
  • Reply 40 of 83
    jj.yuanjj.yuan Posts: 213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

I totally agree with your first sentence. I will ad that this does not compete with anything but that project MS threw out.

Maybe MS bribed Acer ...

It's a DOA, as Jobs predicted.