iPad vs MacBook Air?

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Hi there ~

I'll be traveling in Europe in a couple of weeks doing music, and various other places this year. Too much to lug my 15" macbook pro.

Im really on the fence about what to purchase. Of course i want it all!

Drooling over the iPad!!! But once I rack up a 32G WiFi 3G, I wonder why not just get a MacBook Air???

Then of course the iPod touch has the handy camera and easy street use Maps, and easy at the gym. All things I wantl!! But, no word processing or Garage Band.

Which of these will I be most glad I bought a year from now?

I suppose I could get:

a) Just macbook air

b) iPad 2, and maybe a small shuffle iPod (pricey!!)

c) Just iPod touch and deal with the size and no word or music apps

I have no iPod right now, so I definitely need music. Wish the iPad 2 could take cd's as well, since I like to practice my Rosetta Stone on the road... But I suppose what it does do is still awesome?!!

Thanks so much in advance!!

TangDress

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Rosetta Stone has aniPhone/iPad app... But only if you have the latest version of the desktop software.

Personally, I would not give up my iPad for an Air... But Perhaps if I had to rely on only one item for an extended period of time, the Air might be a better choice.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    There are apps that could pass as word processors. More Importantly Garage Band is only one of a number of musical apps for iPad.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tangerindress View Post

Hi there ~

I'll be traveling in Europe in a couple of weeks doing music, and various other places this year. Too much to lug my 15" macbook pro.

Im really on the fence about what to purchase. Of course i want it all!

Don't we all!

Quote:

Drooling over the iPad!!! But once I rack up a 32G WiFi 3G, I wonder why not just get a MacBook Air???

They are vastly different machines!

Quote:

Then of course the iPod touch has the handy camera and easy street use Maps, and easy at the gym. All things I wantl!! But, no word processing or Garage Band.

Which of these will I be most glad I bought a year from now?

None of them! AIR will likely get revved soon, possibly significantly. Like wise iPad could see a significant update in a years time. You can only really buy for today, a year is a long time in electronics.

Quote:

I suppose I could get:

a) Just macbook air

b) iPad 2, and maybe a small shuffle iPod (pricey!!)

c) Just iPod touch and deal with the size and no word or music apps

If you are traveling GPS ought to be on your list. So Touch is out of the question.

Quote:

I have no iPod right now, so I definitely need music. Wish the iPad 2 could take cd's as well, since I like to practice my Rosetta Stone on the road... But I suppose what it does do is still awesome?!!

Thanks so much in advance!!

TangDress

You have to figure this out yourself but a unit that does GPS could be very valuable. As for language there are iOS apps for that. Honestly what you really want is an unlocked iPhone in my opinion.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    thanks for yr thoughts.

yr actually right, i DO, want the iPhone.

that's part of the problem, it seems so silly to get the iPhone 4 when the iPhone 5 is coming out this summer....??

ah decisions.

thanks for help!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    By that reasoning, it's silly to EVER buy a high-tech gadget, as there is ALWAYS something better just around the corner.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tangerindress View Post

Hi there ~

Ideally, I would buy a MacBook Air + an iPod Touch. But if that's too much then how about a MacBook Air + iPod Nano (for the gym). For me personally, if I had to use word processing, I'd prefer having the physical key board.

It'll all depend on how urgently you need it. You could wait another 3 to 5 months. But if you need something now, you need it. No sense in waiting. There'll always be something new around the corner, that's the nature of technology. You are buying the convenience of having it *now*, that's what you are paying for.