'Unstable performance' of Android 3.0 seen as benefit to Apple's iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 106
    samwellsamwell Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

You flip the Xoom from portrait to landscape and it takes so long to change that you can go do the laundry and by the time you come back, the Xoom will finally have flipped the orientation of the screen.

Yeah!!1

Xoom xucks!!

And what's the deal with RIM anyways? What if you had a job interview there? Would you tell the guy that you wanted a RIM job? I'd love to give Stevie J a RIM job. Bet he tastes like kelp and boysenberries! Yum YUm!

• Reply 22 of 106
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It's up to Apple to keep evolving.

i find it hilarious when i hear comments like this, "apple has to keep evolving...".

since steve jobs took over the helm, apple has done nothing but innovate and evolve?without pressure from competitors.

the big difference (imo) between apple's philosophy and its competitors is that apple sees itself as it's only competitor. the others are too busy seeing what everyone else is doing and they're completely missing the boat.

we're already starting to see 'cracks' in the android bubble with developers having to deal with fragmentation of the ios.
  • Reply 23 of 106
    andykempandykemp Posts: 34member
    Quote:

That is just my highly educated guess

Highly educated guess. You should quit smoking that stuff and posting here.
  • Reply 24 of 106
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GrayGrantham View Post

As for the I-Phone, well I would never even consider it, I spent too many years buying the latest and greatest Apple equipment and in 97 when they released millions of defective computers with the 603e processor and wouldn't own up to it, I decided Apple's idea of brand loyalty is you buy from them at over inflated prices and when they do something wrong and you are paying for it you will be the last to know.

As everybody knows, Apple up until '97 was a complete mess. You jumped ship at the worst possible time. Because right when you jumped ship was when Steve Jobs returned, and it has only gone one way since then, uphill!
  • Reply 25 of 106
    kenwkkenwk Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

Do you have any evidence of this whatsoever?

You mean just like iPhone, which is given away for free as well?

Dude are you for real? There is no free lunch as one free phone at $50 a month contract (example) does not = to the same free phone at $30 a month. The one with higher contract $ will cost more. Are you really that stupid??
  • Reply 26 of 106
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 27 of 106
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Honeybomb.

LOLz.
  • Reply 28 of 106
    istudistud Posts: 193member
    Quote:

Android 3.0 Honeycomb, [...] is by far the slickest most user friendly, OS I have ever had the delight to experience (yes including IOS as well).

[...]

As for the I-Phone, well I would never even consider it,

If you haven't even considered it, how can you judge Android is more user friendly. I haven't used android apart from a couple of times playing with a demo unit in a shop. I don't see how I can judge which one is more user friendly. But you, without even having considered iOS, yet alone used it, you can tell which one is friendlier? How did you become omniscient, an app in the android Market, or is it out of pure openess?
  • Reply 29 of 106
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Pretty much agree with most of the other posters. Really not news. Every OS has bugs with every release, no matter how long or how well it's tested. iOS isn't an exception any more than Android is. Thats' why both offer incremental updates between full versions.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=122026
  • Reply 30 of 106
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    The hardware sucks, the software sucks and the price sucks. I am starting to see a pattern.
  • Reply 31 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

[...] Apple's competitors reportedly had "strong shipments" before the end of the first quarter. [...] The Xoom is the first commercial device running Google's Android 3.0 Honeycomb operating system, but a new estimate has pegged its initial sales at just 100,000 units. [...]

Just 100k? Sounds like shipments were "quite smooth." (Or would that be "quite small"?)
  • Reply 32 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iStud View Post

[...] How did you become omniscient, an app in the android Market, or is it out of pure openess?

The only thing "open" about droid is that Google is openly trying to copy Apple's successful OS model. Yes, any random droid fan can download and 'make' their own private copy of Android. Which they can dick around with to their heart's content. Knock yourselves out.

Google doesn't care about droid hobbyists. But the do care about high-profile developers like Amazon. Amazon could easily create yet another splinter of Android to use on some future Kindle. And Amazon, unlike Google, has tons of content plus at least a hundred million credit card-owning customers in their database.

And most importantly, Amazon has vast experience in actually delivering media and goods to end-users. Something that Google is just barely getting a grip on. So yes, Google wants to keep the Amazons of the world from turning Android into a Google-killer. It could happen.
  • Reply 33 of 106
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andykemp View Post

Highly educated guess. You should quit smoking that stuff and posting here.

I can assure you that I only smoke premium grade product, when I choose to indulge. I consider myself to be a true connoisseur when it comes to that particular topic.
  • Reply 34 of 106
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:

I can assure you that I only smoke premium grade product, when I choose to indulge. I consider myself to be a true connoisseur when it comes to that particular topic.

Ah, a man after my own heart. . .
  • Reply 35 of 106
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The only downside is that it may be a short-lived advantage as Android 3.0 matures. It's up to Apple to keep evolving.

Yep, every new OS has significant bugs.

The difference is how they are patched. Apple being the hardware and software manufacturer can release patches at will. Not so with Android as each OEM has customized Android for their specific devices. Hence the longer it takes to fix major issues and get updates.
  • Reply 36 of 106
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonro View Post

I haven't read any reviews of WebOS, but I'm curious about how it stacks up. I imagine that any serious Honeycomb bugs will be fixed as quickly as possible. I'm not saying that I would never switch, but I'm pretty much tied to the iPad at this point and don't see any significant advantages to Android over IOS. Apple's iPad success is due to IOS, the apps, the development system, and the entire Apple ecosystem. A few companies could conceivably join forces and challenge Apple in these areas, but I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon.

The problem I found with WebOs in the beginning is that it isn't obvious the way iOS is. While every function of iOS isn't immediately obvious, enough is so that you can work with it from the very beginning of picking it up. WebOS needs instructions in a number of areas before it becomes usable. I think a lot of people picked the phone up in the stores and couldn't figure out how to use it and put it down again, only to find something easier, which they then bought. Unless HP has tackled this successfully, the tablet isn't going to be much better.

Honeycomb suffers from a similar problem from what I've seen myself, and from what I've read as confirmation. It's a lot more complex in the UI than Android, and a number of things work differently. I find it amusing that tech writers don't seem to find this a problem, while several analysts, who are more like the public in their hands on familiarity with technology, find it to be a problem using.

While the iPad's UI is almost exactly that of the iPhone, and so loses a chance of being more sophisticated, its familiarity allows people to use it right away.
  • Reply 37 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

Unnamed sources at unnamed manufactuers cite "unstable performance" yet provide no further details. Is there a story here other than that DigiTimes wrote an article?

My friend ordered his Motorola Xoom (yes, it does go on sale in a country other than the USA this weekend) a few weeks ago. Looks like there were a lot of people before him though, as the retailer has informed him that they have had high demand and are delaying his order.

Seems like it's not just iPad that will be hard to find in the coming weeks.

Just read the Anandtech or the Arstechnica reviews of the Xoom. They'll tell you of all the problems with the OS they encountered. Bugs, instabilities, etc. It's also mentioned on the blogs of well known tech writers such as Pogue, Mossberg and others. Like all things Google, Honeycomb is a public beta that's not called a beta.

Then there's the promised Flash support which still isn't there.
  • Reply 38 of 106
    Quote:

There will always be poor people. Poor people have existed throughout history. Most people who buy android phones are poor. The average android phone is not the high end phones, it's the cheap ones, and the ones that they give away for free.

Android users are also cheap, because they don't spend much on apps.

That's a pretty broad statement.
  • Reply 39 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by .mac View Post

we Indians are not that much poor. we do use iphones

well, truthfully, one of the reasons given as to why iPhone sales in India aren't doing as well as hoped is because the phone is too expensive. Compared to the Chinese, the average Indian is much poorer, and the infrastructure in the country is much worse, and that includes cell tower placement, though it's better than it was several years ago.

It s why the BB, which sells for half the price of the iPhone, Nokia Symbian phones, and many Android phones do better.
  • Reply 40 of 106
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:

I am so poor, that in the past 5 years I have purchased and Used various smart phone running Windows Mobile, Palm and Blackberry. I now am using an Android. My first real computer was a Macintosh and I spend 13 years from 1984 to 197 working with and for apple computer vendors. I understand the loyalty to the brand and I understand the problems inherent with evolving technologies.

After having my hands on an Android for the past 4 months and seeing the previews of the oncoming Android 3.0 Honeycomb, I can tell you that whatever "issues" they are having will eventually be worked out, but in the meanwhile it is by far the slickest most user friendly, OS I have ever had the delight to experience (yes including IOS as well).

I doubt that one technology can "own" the consumer market place for any length of time the way Microsoft has dominated the desktop market, but it seems obvious that Android will be the dominant smart phone platform for the foreseeable future.

I depend on my smart phone to perform time critical tasks that must be performed with no notice and finished on a web app within 30 seconds. My Android does the job, where Blackberry, Palm and Windows were generally only about 50% effective, in accomplishing the same tasks. As for the I-Phone, well I would never even consider it, I spent too many years buying the latest and greatest Apple equipment and in 97 when they released millions of defective computers with the 603e processor and wouldn't own up to it, I decided Apple's idea of brand loyalty is you buy from them at over inflated prices and when they do something wrong and you are paying for it you will be the last to know.

Google may not be any better when put to the test but just the fact that there is an alternative to Apple/IOS ought to be enough to convince million of abused Apple loyal to jump ship

You're not an Apple fan... you probably never had any loyalties to any thing. Using the Sculley years as a excuse is disingenuous. If you had any balls you'd just tell the true. You're a PC who hasn't any real reason to diss Mac so you make up fantasies to be cool. It doesn't work I see through you. You are a closet wanna be!