Android to be on 49% of smartphones by 2012, leaving Apple's iOS with 19%, Gartner predicts

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 86
    m3kwm3kw Posts: 4member
    With internet, ipod/ipads are starting to cross the line in to smartphone category. If you add iPod/iPads, you woudn't have this topic at all. The topic should really be which OS is in most MOBILE DEVICES.

Also, if you look at fragmentation of Android comparing to iOS, the 50% figure is very misleading because there are 50 flavors of Andorid each dictated by the software/UI the Carrier installs, the OS version, the Hardware that is limited to, and the screen size. The iOS has fragmentation, but is not an issue comparing to Android.

To me with these numbers, Android needs 99% to say they are beating apple.
  • Reply 82 of 86
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ssampath View Post

To many there are too many manufacturers plying Android phones - Moto, HTC, Dell, ASUS, Acer, Sony etc. I don't think any of them is making a profit with these phones (maybe HTC I am not sure).

Looks like you called it!

Didn't realize HTC had overtaken Nokia in market capitalization till today. Probably would't hurt to snap up a little or their stock.

http://www.wirelessandmobilenews.com...htc-merge.html
  • Reply 83 of 86
    A thought occurred to me this morning. (wait for it. . .)

Earlier this week I was walking past an AT&T store in a local mall. Figured since I hadn't yet seen an Atrix, I'd take a quick look. Even tho it's got a pretty large screen, I was a little surprised it didn't feel like the phone itself was too big. BTW, what idiot thought there would be a market for a $400 screen/keyboard dock to make it a pseudo-laptop. Stupid pricing IMO.

But anyway, looking at the phones they had on display the thing that struck me was how much more impressive the devices with larger screens were. I could imagine that a significant percentage of uninformed buyers might walk into AT&T actually intending to buy the iPhone they'd heard about, but being swayed by the bigger screen on some of the competing phones. Here's where Apple may be missing the boat. I thought my 3.5" screen was great when I first got it. But a few months of trying to type longer emails or reply to forum posts sent me back to my laptop for much of that. But the larger screens on some of these Android phones would probably work for more of the tasks I've found wanting on my smaller touchscreen. I had to look up the Atrix spec just now to find the screen size, only .5" larger than the iPhone. Surprised because it looked and felt larger than that. And some of the phones looked like they might have even more screen real estate.

I guess the point I'm slowly getting to is that Apple created the general public's demand for a smartphone, tho props to the fading Blackberry platform too. (That was my first one). Almost everyone has heard of the iPhone. And maybe even most who never had a smartphone walk in intending to get the iPhone. But the bigger Androids do make quite an impression. Some look brighter, larger and even more expensive than Apple's product. Have no idea on pricing since I only paid attention to what they wanted for the Atrix, which didn't appeal to me personally for a couple of reasons. But if the prices are cheaper as assumed, it's no surprise that a whole lot of new buyers are changing their mind and going Android once they're in the store. Even tho Apple had it's own display on the opposite side of the store, all the activity was in front of the Android/WM7 models.
  • Reply 84 of 86
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    In a miraculous turn of events I actually agree with you. 4" screens are real pretty. I've played around with some Android big-screeners and they are quite nice. Until of course, I get bored from the copycat, less cohesive UI. But that's a different discussion...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

A thought occurred to me this morning. (wait for it. . .)

Earlier this week I was walking past an AT&T store in a local mall. Figured since I hadn't yet seen an Atrix, I'd take a quick look. Even tho it's got a pretty large screen, I was a little surprised it didn't feel like the phone itself was too big. BTW, what idiot thought there would be a market for a $400 screen/keyboard dock to make it a pseudo-laptop. Stupid pricing IMO.

But anyway, looking at the phones they had on display the thing that struck me was how much more impressive the devices with larger screens were. I could imagine that a significant percentage of uninformed buyers might walk into AT&T actually intending to buy the iPhone they'd heard about, but being swayed by the bigger screen on some of the competing phones. Here's where Apple may be missing the boat. I thought my 3.5" screen was great when I first got it. But a few months of trying to type longer emails or reply to forum posts sent me back to my laptop for much of that. But the larger screens on some of these Android phones would probably work for more of the tasks I've found wanting on my smaller touchscreen. I had to look up the Atrix spec just now to find the screen size, only .5" larger than the iPhone. Surprised because it looked and felt larger than that. And some of the phones looked like they might have even more screen real estate.

I guess the point I'm slowly getting to is that Apple created the general public's demand for a smartphone, tho props to the fading Blackberry platform too. (That was my first one). Almost everyone has heard of the iPhone. And maybe even most who never had a smartphone walk in intending to get the iPhone. But the bigger Androids do make quite an impression. Some look brighter, larger and even more expensive than Apple's product. Have no idea on pricing since I only paid attention to what they wanted for the Atrix, which didn't appeal to me personally for a couple of reasons. But if the prices are cheaper as assumed, it's no surprise that a whole lot of new buyers are changing their mind and going Android once they're in the store. Even tho Apple had it's own display on the opposite side of the store, all the activity was in front of the Android/WM7 models.

• Reply 85 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

In a miraculous turn of events I actually agree with you.

Blind hogs and all that. . .
  • Reply 86 of 86
    On a related note ATT announced today that they'll begin offering a prepaid smartphone plan. $25 for 500 MB of data with no contract.