Apple investigating Verizon iPad 2 connection issues

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple said in a statement on Friday that it is looking into connectivity issues with the Verizon network that owners of the iPad 2 3G are experiencing.

A growing number of users report having trouble connecting to the Verizon data network with their iPad 2 3Gs, especially after turning 3G service off and back on. A support thread regarding the issue on Apple's discussion forums has drawn more than 80 replies.

An Apple spokesperson confirmed the issue to All Things Digital on Friday. ?We are aware that a small number of iPad 2 customers have experienced connectivity issues with the Verizon 3G network and we are investigating it,? the company said in a statement.

Apple launched the iPad 2 last month with three models: WiFi only, WiFi and AT&T-compatible 3G, and WiFi and Verizon-compatible 3G. The new device drew record lines, though some readers reported that the Verizon iPad 2 was selling out more slowly than the WiFi only and AT&T models.

AT&T customers do not appear to be experiencing the connectivity problem.

The partnership between Apple and Verizon was minted relatively recently. Verizon began selling the iPad at its retail stores last October, though it sold the WiFi only version of the device bundled with a MiFi Mobile Hotspot device.

After years of AT&T iPhone exclusivity in the U.S., Apple and Verizon launched the iPhone 4 in February. Verizon later announced that the iPhone 4 set a record for the largest handset launch in the company's history.

The Verizon connectivity issue isn't the only problem that customers of the iPad 2 are facing. Early adopters of the device noted freezing issues with the FaceTime video chat feature.

It should be noted, however, that neither issue seems to be particularly widespread, affecting only a small percentage of users.

If the Verizon connectivity issue stems from an issue with iOS, a fix could be issued in iOS 4.3.2, which is rumored to arrive in the next few weeks. The update is expected to provide a few enhancements, address security issues and fix several bugs, though it is not yet clear what bugs will be fixed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    The AT&T iPad 2 seems to work when you toggle 3G on/off. It's faster too
  • Reply 2 of 23
    Verizon iPhone: No data/voice multitasking.

Verizon iPad: No data.

'nough said.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Good thing i ordered the at&t model instead of the Verizon one
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

'nough said.

The grass isn't necessarily greener on the other side
  • Reply 5 of 23
    imoanimoan Posts: 56member
    Quote:

'nough said.

AT&T iPhone: No data and no voice within dead zone

iPad: no flash, glossy screen, lame camera, fragile

Being a cheerleader for either team leaves you wanting, doesn't it?
  • Reply 6 of 23
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

Verizon iPhone: Service.

Quote:

Verizon iPad: Data everywhere.

Two sides to every coin. Only one can land face up. That'd be the truth, son.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Verizon Math... and more math!

Quote:

Verizon iPad: Data everywhere.

Doesn't really matter if you have connection issues. But hey, "It's the network!"

Quote:

Two sides to every coin. Only one can land face up. That'd be the truth, son.

So your saying it's a 50/50 chance with Verizon?... Now THAT is the truth, son!

/

/

/
  • Reply 8 of 23
    jim5656jim5656 Posts: 12member
    send apple a tech request about this issue the other day. I've noticed this since day one but this is how it happens.

I noticed it won't turn on only after a few hours of use . It has to be a simple fix within iOS because all i have to do is restart the ipad. It sucks but its not a big deal.

My wife has a ipad 1 3G and I got the iPad 2 3g with verizon and I really haven't noticed a real speed difference between the two. When ever I'm in Honolulu, I see 3g speeds around 3mbs DL speed and 1.5-2 mbs upload speeds.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    If course they are looking into it. They look into everything that happens with new stuff. Hell I took back an iPad for the office that was having camera issues in FaceTime and they swapped it with no hesitation. (they were holding units for such things)

The guy said something to another guy about doing an effa on it. I asked him what that was and he said they send detectives units of new stuff to the engineers so they can figure out what is going on.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMoan View Post

AT&T iPhone: No data and no voice within dead zone

Which phone and carrier do you get voice and data in a dead zone?
  • Reply 11 of 23
    good thing it's the least popular model.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    ZERO connection problems with my Verizon 3G iPad. Must just be affecting a couple percent of them.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Verizon Math... and more math!

"Can't come up with any argument against your opponent's position? Try new Ignore-A-Point! Yes, Ignore-A-Point* can create pointless responses, start new arguments, and put out of mind statements for which you have no rebuttal!"

*Does not work if people are actually paying attention.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:

'nough said.

I've been able to do an interesting experiment on a recent trip here in the Midwest. My iPhone is AT&T, and my iPad 2 is Verizon. So I was able to see when the iPhone had a signal, and when the iPad 2 had a signal. As soon as I was outside a metropolitan area, the iPhone dropped back to EDGE (2G), while the iPad stayed on a 3G signal for the entire trip. And, of course, when the iPhone is in an EDGE area AT&T cannot do data/voice multitasking.

So at least in the Midwest, with Verizon one can have 3G signal in rural areas, and with AT&T it is painfully slow 2G. Wednesday I'll have them both in Manhattan, which should be a very interesting comparison, since the last time I was there I couldn't get data service from AT&T at all.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You'd better pick your 'service' wisely....data or voice....can't have both at the same time!
  • Reply 16 of 23
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnwhite1000 View Post

ZERO connection problems with my Verizon 3G iPad. Must just be affecting a couple percent of them.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....art=0&tstart=0

No way to tell if it's 1%, 50% or anything in between. The best you're going to get out of Apple is their typical "a small number of. . . customers". But Apple has been aggressive when issues pop up, so I would expect a fix is right around the corner.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:

You'd better pick your 'service' wisely....data or voice....can't have both at the same time!

Couldn't care less. I have zero need for mobile data and an incredible minority of users talk and surf at the same time, anyway.

Making phone calls? That's the definition of phone. Can't do that with an AT&T phone where I live.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    How exactly did this turn into a ATT vs Verizon debate anyway? Apple admitted they are the problem according to an article at 9 to 5 Mac.

Might I remind all of a little Apple history. When the iPhone 3G first came out, users, including myself had connection issues. Most on this forum bashed ATT (since Apple could do no wrong) and in the end our favorite fruit fixed the problem with an update.

There is nothing wrong with Verizon's network. If you don't like it, go with ATT. You have a choice now. Choice is a good thing folks.

But for those of you who are ATT fanboys, rest assured, once they gobble up T-Mobile they will be one step closer to world domination.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imoan View Post

at&t iphone: No data and no voice within dead zone

ipad: No flash, glossy screen, lame camera, fragile

being a cheerleader for either team leaves you wanting, doesn't it?

seems better than being a troll. Added to iggy list.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

seems better than being a troll. Added to iggy list.

Don't understand.

BTW your signature seems rather conceited.