Steve Wozniak open to returning to Apple if asked

Comments

• Reply 41 of 141
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

What hate?

He's a has-been. If Apple wants to make him a mascot and put his face on the Macintosh box, I wouldn't have any objection to that.

But he has proven that he can't keep his mouth shut. That hurts Apple's business and stock price. And his technical skills were out of date 20 years ago. Heck, look at the way he handled the iPad in the video he did. I'm not sure he's even up to date as a computer USER much less scientist.

Just why should Apple spend a lot of money (and you can be sure it would be a LOT of money) bringing back someone who doesn't have any recent experience that would be of value?

No one's saying that they dislike the guy or that he's bad or anything like that. Simply that he doesn't bring anything of value. Why is that 'hate' in your narrow mind?

What hate?

1. He's a has been

2. He never outgrew the 70's and he hasn't had anything intelligent to say about the market for 20 years.

3. If I were him, I would want to work for Apple too, since all his other achievements and business ventures have been pretty pathetic.

4. all those new Apple Stores, there must be a few brooms around...

I don't think Woz is a good fit for todays Apple either, but that doesn't mean he is of no value in general.

All of the negative comments serve no productive purpose and it sounds like there needs to be some diversity training.
  • Reply 42 of 141
    I think I just wet myself. With Jobs taking a leave of absence what better time for the Woz to come in for a little continuity. The man is a genius and he knows the brain of Jobs better than most. Sure, he's been away from Apple from some time but has been quite successful in his other endeavors and I think he could take Apple even further. Hopefully he can make the return.
  • Reply 43 of 141
    Good post. My point exactly
  • Reply 44 of 141
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SleepyCatChris View Post

Seriously though, Woz is like that really annoying uncle everyone has. You love the guy and all, but god damn is he obnoxious!

I only notice him in the news once or twice a year, and the news doesn't dwell on him very long, I really don't understand how you think he's being so obnoxious.
  • Reply 45 of 141
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pimptonius View Post

I think I just wet myself. With Jobs taking a leave of absence what better time for the Woz to come in for a little continuity. The man is a genius and he knows the brain of Jobs better than most.

Knowing the mind of a megalomaniacal control freak does not make one a megalomaniacal control freak.

Which is what Apple needs right now. Woz is too open. He would absolutely not be suited for Jobs' position, but as an engineering consultant? Step on back now, chairperson.
  • Reply 46 of 141
    nuttannuttan Posts: 21member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

What is with the nasty comments about Woz?

1) There would have been no iDevice, mac or anything else without Woz

2) The guy was in plane crash and got injured

3) As for Segway and a few non starters... ah hem, Jobs doesn't always get it right

Show some freakin respect for your tech elders.

Regardless of what meaningful role he was "asked to fill" it would be a soulful move for Apple. I could see him heading up a skunkworks type thing, exploring new frontiers of tech (would need a tight budget cap). Or more practically championing Apple's opened source projects into the broader OpenSource community. Or heading up an Apple philanthropy program with an engineering education focus.

Who would you prefer picked him up, the Google spam machine?

At last! Someone else with smarts. Once an asset, always an asset. Will it happen? 50/50 chance, it would seem at present. Steve and Steve have become close again with jobs cancer. As well as some other old (early day) friends like Daniel Kotke....study the history of

Apple people. These are not the "guys in ties" type of men! We need their likes more than ever these days with morons like Ballmer and Dell. Windows is shunned by most teenagers; the people who will be running the world in ten-twenty years! You can bet they will not be running it with windows. I agree. Show some respect.
  • Reply 47 of 141
    peymonpeymon Posts: 7member
    Is Great Guy and I very Talented ...and He is loved around the world because of his association with Apple and his own history....
  • Reply 48 of 141
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nuttan View Post

Once an asset, always an asset.

It's always easy to tell the posters who don't have any experience running a business.

Read some modern management books and learn about management. The fact that someone was good for a startup working in a garage doesn't mean that he adds any value for a multibillion dollar industry leading firm.

I haven't seen anyone who has any rational suggestions as to what Woz would be able to do for Apple today (other than being a figurehead - which might be OK). Does ANYONE really believe that he's maintained his technical skills enough to be able to contribute today?
  • Reply 49 of 141
    whozownwhozown Posts: 128member
    awe shucks guys, come on let me back in the club house.
  • Reply 50 of 141
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Funny thread. It's safe to say that NO ONE on this forum has any idea what Woz could or could not offer Apple today.

In my view, he is already serving the only role he could, as a PR dude, with old credentials, and a less controlled opinion.
  • Reply 51 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SleepyCatChris View Post

Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak said in an interview this week that he would consider eating waffles for breakfast if asked.

During an interview in England this week, Wozniak said, "I'd consider it, yeah," when asked whether he would eat waffles for breakfast if asked, Reuters reports.

Seriously though, Woz is like that really annoying uncle everyone has. You love the guy and all, but god damn is he obnoxious!

You joined the forum just to post this?

Have you ever met Woz?
  • Reply 52 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post

Pete Best always said he'd return to the Beatles if he were asked. I think he's still saying that....

Best. Answer. Ever.
  • Reply 53 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

... 1) There would have been no iDevice, mac or anything else without Woz. ..

I disagree.

Woz was there because he was the best at what he did at the time, but there were a lot of guys around at the time with similar skills and knowledge. They were able to do what they did because Steve Jobs pushed things.

Anyone who is older or who has worked in creative industries for a length of time knows that those who succeed are not those who are the most talented or skilled. Those who succeed are those with drive, ambition and who constantly push things until they happen. The world is full of artists that are more talented than those who get shows in galleries, and musicians more talented than those you hear on the radio. The ones you know about are just those with the drive and the connections.

We've already seen what happens when Steve Jobs and Apple can't get the top talent in a particular field, they get the next best one and push them harder. If Jobs was unable to have hooked up with Wozniak at the time, he would have found the second best chip guy in the home brew club (or in any of the other enthusiast clubs that existed at the time you haven't heard about because they never became famous), and pushed him a bit harder.

Everything else would have been essentially the same.
  • Reply 54 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bonklers View Post

once a genius, always a genius ... Please dont bad mouth Steve Wozniak, without him there would be no apple.

Can't agree more.

While I don't know if Woz still has the technical chops to contribute to the current incarnation of Apple, respect should be shown.

Make fun of him after your start-up changes the world.
  • Reply 55 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It's always easy to tell the posters who don't have any experience running a business.

Read some modern management books and learn about management. The fact that someone was good for a startup working in a garage doesn't mean that he adds any value for a multibillion dollar industry leading firm.

I haven't seen anyone who has any rational suggestions as to what Woz would be able to do for Apple today (other than being a figurehead - which might be OK). Does ANYONE really believe that he's maintained his technical skills enough to be able to contribute today?

Trying to be evenhanded here:

Both Steves were part of the startup and both were visionaries (in different ways)... but there was a third person Mike Markkula, the businessman who put together the organization and operational structure and populated it with top rate people

Both Steves left Apple and had some measure of success in other ventures.

When Steve Jobs returned to Apple he had refined his talents and had a good record -- but I don't think he was considered a resounding success.

Apple gave Jobs a venue to grow his skills and he did -- but it was a big risk on Apple's part.

As to Woz's technical skills -- by his own admission his best ability was to thoroughly understand all the components of a system, their interactions -- then to get the most results with fewer or cheaper components Sure, Chip technology has changed -- but that can be learned. The other talents that Woz has can't be taught.

I don't see Apple or Woz having any interest in Woz returning as CEO or a major management role -- that's not his interest.

I was close to Apple (1978-1989) and one of the signature attributes they had was "Apple is fun!"

I don't see much of that today, Maybe Apple needs to add a little fun!

Woz is fun.

Others, here, have suggested that Woz could run a skunk-works operation within Apple -- that might be something that would benefit all involved.

Mmmm... didn't the Mac come out of a skunk-works project?
  • Reply 56 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

What hate?

Thanks for the post & defense Shobiz, well said.

Quote:

it sounds like there needs to be some diversity training.

It also sounds like 1985 all over, where Apple is SO good they don't need an out-of-touch founder...
  • Reply 57 of 141
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Trying to be evenhanded here:

Both Steves were part of the startup and both were visionaries (in different ways)... but there was a third person Mike Markkula, the businessman who put together the organization and operational structure and populated it with top rate people

Both Steves left Apple and had some measure of success in other ventures.

When Steve Jobs returned to Apple he had refined his talents and had a good record -- but I don't think he was considered a resounding success.

Apple gave Jobs a venue to grow his skills and he did -- but it was a big risk on Apple's part.

As to Woz's technical skills -- by his own admission his best ability was to thoroughly understand all the components of a system, their interactions -- then to get the most results with fewer or cheaper components Sure, Chip technology has changed -- but that can be learned. The other talents that Woz has can't be taught.

I don't see Apple or Woz having any interest in Woz returning as CEO or a major management role -- that's not his interest.

I was close to Apple (1978-1989) and one of the signature attributes they had was "Apple is fun!"

I don't see much of that today, Maybe Apple needs to add a little fun!

Woz is fun.

Others, here, have suggested that Woz could run a skunk-works operation within Apple -- that might be something that would benefit all involved.

Mmmm... didn't the Mac come out of a skunk-works project?

1. What has Woz done for the past 25 years that makes you think that he is competent enough to contribute to a skunk works operation? How does the fact that he soldered some parts together 30 years ago relate to today's computer technologies?

2. Even if he could contribute something, he obviously can't keep his mouth shut - so he'd do a great deal of harm.

3. Even if they could get him to keep his mouth shut and find an area where he could contribute, that doesn't mean he's a good fit. Smart business people have learned that it's not enough to be smart, but you have to fit the culture of a business to be a contributor. Woz no longer fits Apple's culture - not even close. I've passed up good people who didn't fit my company's culture many times - and never regretted it. I did regret hiring a smart person who didn't fit the culture, though.

I'm still not seeing anyone posting anything suggesting what Woz could contribute. All I see is a bunch of people saying "he's a great guy so Apple needs him" without any rational discussion.
  • Reply 58 of 141
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

what does segway have to do with woz? He didn't make segway. As far as I know, his only connection to segway is as a customer.

Woz designed the entire Apple 2 (and Apple 1), wrote the Integer Basic programming language it used, wrote the basic interpreter, wrote some of the apps that shipped with it, created it's floppy disk drive. He wasn't a business man or a marketer, but there would be no Apple without Woz. His designs were brilliant and the reason Apple's hardware dominated their competition.

In fact, his computer almost wasn't enough. The next two computer systems Apple released, the Apple 3 and the Lisa both failed and while Macintosh was ultimately a big success, Apple 2 sales carried apple for a while after Macintosh was released.

Woz made millions at Apple, left when after a plane crash, went back to school to finish his degree and volunteers his time as a school teacher. I'm pretty shocked at the comments here. Woz didn't ask to be CEO, which he clearly isn't qualified for and has no interest in. I'm certain he could offer valuable input into the company he helped create.

He's obviously one of the nice guys. But this did come up in an interview, and he did talk about it, however briefly. Therefor, as it's news, there's no reason why we can't give our opinions on it as well. You can be sure that people at Apple have heard of this and have thought about and possibly discussed it at the cafeteria lunch table.

He and Jobs had a falling out, which is why he left the company. Why he now is interested in returning, I have no idea. But it's a legit question seeing as how he said he might be. So it's also a legit topic.

I think that all of us here like the guy, but that's not enough. Apple is no longer the small underdog it once was. And the question of what he could do in an official capacity is a fair one. The world has moved rapidly past the level of his previous engineering capabilities. what would he do there? It's true that he formed, or was asked to join a number of technical companies over the years. Where are they today? I haven't followed them, but it seems as though either they aren't around any more, or he left them. That's not a good record.

Would he be able to serve in some high level management capacity? If so, where? He would be pushing at least one talented manager out if he came back. If they created a position, what would that be? What would be the need? Guy Kawasaki has been an evangelist for Apple decades after he left them, so that position doesn't require working for the company.

I don't see anything useful that he could do there. But maybe we'll be surprised.
  • Reply 59 of 141
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Recognizing that he was a key piece of Apple history, I don't understand what Woz's place would be in the current or future Apple except as a mascot or as some other kind of PR fodder.

I don't understand what OS X and iOS being based on BSD Unix has to do with Apple contributing to the greater community.

Apple gives Darwin back to the open source community. They have also contributed some significant code other than what they do there with Darwin. If Apple wasn't basing so much of the software on FreeBSD, it's not likely they would have based Safari on open software either, or a number of other projects, requiring them to give back code.

So it follows that using BSD enables, and requires that.
  • Reply 60 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

We've already seen what happens when Steve Jobs and Apple can't get the top talent in a particular field, they get the next best one and push them harder. If Jobs was unable to have hooked up with Wozniak at the time, he would have found the second best chip guy in the home brew club (or in any of the other enthusiast clubs that existed at the time you haven't heard about because they never became famous), and pushed him a bit harder.

Kind of a chicken vs egg thing.

I heard it differently -- according to Woz's younger brother:

There was some early collaboration among Jobs, Woz and John Draper (Cap'n Crunch) on the Blue Box.

Woz built the prototype for the Apple 1 -- and piqued the interest of Jobs.

I don't believe Jobs was looking to "do" a computer -- rather Woz had created one and Jobs saw the potential.

At the time, Jobs did not have the bona fides or finances to interest anyone at Home Brew -- Woz's computer designs gave standing to the Steves' efforts.