Gartner's iPhone, Android predictions radically revised in a year and a half

Comments

• Reply 41 of 208
    srathisrathi Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fuwafuwa View Post

From 300+ Android phones, may be only 10% are on par or slightly better than 3GS, the rest are crap. Even Android tablets are barely keeping up with iPad 1. It just like saying number of sold stones outnumbers number of sold gold.

And the remaining 90% are better than the iPhone 4. , considering the iPhone 4 has more issues than the 3GS, e.g. antenna problems.
  • Reply 42 of 208
    fuwafuwafuwafuwa Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by srathi View Post

And the remaining 90% are better than the iPhone 4. , considering the iPhone 4 has more issues than the 3GS, e.g. antenna problems.

Did you read, "the rest are crap"? yes, 90% are better than iPhone 4 on ugliness, speed of draining battery, weight, etc.
  • Reply 43 of 208
    neiltc13neiltc13 Posts: 182member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fuwafuwa View Post

Did you read, "the rest are crap"? yes, 90% are better than iPhone 4 on ugliness, speed of draining battery, weight, etc.

And you make these claims based on hands-on experience, right?
  • Reply 44 of 208
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by srathi View Post

"Antenna problems" that everybody else has too, but nobody else gets razzed about? Yes, if you stuff an iPhone 4 three feet up your colon, you'll lose some signal, but that's true of every cell phone. I invite you to try it.

I notice you still haven't copped to putting my name on a quote that wasn't mine....
  • Reply 45 of 208
    neiltc13neiltc13 Posts: 182member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

"Antenna problems" that everybody else has too, but nobody else gets razzed about? Yes, if you stuff an iPhone 4 three feet up your colon, you'll lose some signal, but that's true of every cell phone. I invite you to try it.

I notice you still haven't copped to putting my name on a quote that wasn't mine....

I recently moved to a new place. I was really disappointed because my iPhone 3GS couldn't pick up a strong signal when I sit in my lounge. If I touched the phone, it would drop the signal completely and the only way to get a signal while holding it was to hold it right up to the corner of the window.

A few weeks after I moved, I also got myself a new Samsung Omnia 7. I'm using the same SIM card on the same network, but now I get a consistent 1-2 bars and can easily make calls and use data from anywhere in the room. I can hold the phone as much as I want and I don't need to move to the window to get a signal.

I'm not saying that this is evidence that iPhone is flawed, but in my experience iPhone 3GS's antenna is weaker than my Samsung phone (which also has a back that is clad entirely in metal).
  • Reply 46 of 208
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

I recently moved to a new place. I was really disappointed because my iPhone 3GS couldn't pick up a strong signal when I sit in my lounge. If I touched the phone, it would drop the signal completely and the only way to get a signal while holding it was to hold it right up to the corner of the window.

A few weeks after I moved, I also got myself a new Samsung Omnia 7. I'm using the same SIM card on the same network, but now I get a consistent 1-2 bars and can easily make calls and use data from anywhere in the room. I can hold the phone as much as I want and I don't need to move to the window to get a signal.

I'm not saying that this is evidence that iPhone is flawed, but in my experience iPhone 3GS's antenna is weaker than my Samsung phone (which also has a back that is clad entirely in metal).

I believe you?there's going to be a lot of variation with any hardware. Somebody somewhere else might have the opposite experience, who knows? I think our new Indian outsourced astroturfer was referring to the iPhone 4 "Antennagate" non-troversy, that's why I said what I did.
  • Reply 47 of 208
    jwdavjwdav Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyguido View Post

... So, because google claims android is an open OS, people compare it to windows. This is ridiculous, even of android were open, then it would be Linux, not windows.

Wintel PC's had proprietary software (Windows) running on open hardware. Android is proprietary hardware running partially open software.

Partially open, as none of the high value Google apps are "open" and partially open because hardware manufacturers and carriers can add their own elements to base Android.

In this sense, base OS X (Darwin) is an "open" OS, missing only Apple's high value apps and without Apple's UI.
  • Reply 48 of 208
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwdav View Post

Wintel PC's had proprietary software (Windows) running on open hardware. Android is proprietary hardware running partially open software.

Partially open, as none of the high value Google apps are "open" and partially open because hardware manufacturers and carriers can add their own elements to base Android.

In this sense, base OS X (Darwin) is an "open" OS, missing only Apple's high value apps and without Apple's UI.

it was, yes. Exactly the same.
  • Reply 49 of 208
    granmastakgranmastak Posts: 298member
    Everyone knows that you are a micro$oft PR machine with ZERO credibility! If I wanted your opinion, I'd ask Ballmer!
  • Reply 50 of 208
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

When Apple re-releases the iPhone 3GS as a $200 contract-free smartphone, Android growth will flat-out

I think that's the most important point. These predictions are made based on the fact that nothing will change.

Apple dropped a bomb with the iPad and extended the smartphone to a mobile platform, making companies that don't have a tablet look a bit dated.

These current predictions are based on Apple only staying in the top end of the market and not contesting the bottom end. If Apple release a budget iPhone to take on Android and WP7 then these predictions will have to be revised again.

That said, I think it will be a strange world where WP7 doesn't have at least a certain amount of success.

It really is a fantastic OS. If I couldn't have my iPhone I'd pick WP7 over the alternatives in a heartbeat.

If we were just looking at how the base OS fits together it's actually class leading... however it's missing critical features (like tethering) and a mobile platform (there's no tablet).
  • Reply 51 of 208
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Add to that Android currently growing at a faster pace than iOS. Could that 300,000 Android devices per day three months ago have grown to 350,000 or more per day now? The clear lead that iOS had in the middle of 2010 may be much more tenuous now. IMHO, it is a possibility that Android is currently outselling all iOS devices combined.

Who is buying these thousands of Android devices?

Google's business model is selling ads. Android is supposed to put more ads in front of more eyeballs. So where are all these eyeballs? I run several websites with various target market segments and I am not seeing any Android hits in my Analytics reports. I also have a number of associates who also have sites and use Google Analytics. None of us are seeing any 'ADdroid' hits.

On the other hand iOS device page views are through the roof.
  • Reply 52 of 208
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Apparently a lot of buyers. I didn't think anyone doubted they were selling. Your site must be the exception since the latest figures show Android pulling 51% of all ad impressions.

http://www.phbeta.com/google-android...-the-3rd-time/
  • Reply 53 of 208
    Quote:

Apparently a lot of buyers. I didn't think anyone doubted they were selling.

http://www.phbeta.com/google-android...-the-3rd-time/

That company is measuring ads to it's network,not to iAds or Ad mob.
  • Reply 54 of 208
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

That company is measuring ads to it's network,not to iAds or Ad mob.

I think ad impressions is defined as how many times your ad was presented, not necessarily how many were clicked. But I am seeing the exact opposite of the metrics being reported in that piece. So I am skeptical. I don't use Ad Words but I host Ad Sense and I get lots of clicks, however, as stated earlier, almost zero Android page views, so something is amiss.
  • Reply 55 of 208
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think ad impressions is defined as how many times your ad was presented, not necessarily how many were clicked. But I am seeing the exact opposite of the metrics being reported in that piece. So I am skeptical. I don't use Ad Words but I host Ad Sense and I get lots to clicks, however, as stated earlier, almost zero Android page views, so something is amiss.

what I am saying is that they are measuring the devs who use their API - http://wiki.millennialmedia.com/index.php/IPhone_SDK, not iADs etc. iPhone devs are probably more likely to use iADs, and, of course, there are more paid apps.
  • Reply 56 of 208
    Quote:

what I am saying is that they are measuring the devs who use their API - http://wiki.millennialmedia.com/index.php/IPhone_SDK, not iADs etc. iPhone devs are probably more likely to use iADs, and, of course, there are more paid apps.

I see. Well I believe there are a thousand fold more web page ads than app ads so I am gauging a different environment for sure. Do Android people just use free apps and never surf the actual web?
  • Reply 56 of 208
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:

I think ad impressions is defined as how many times your ad was presented, not necessarily how many were clicked. But I am seeing the exact opposite of the metrics being reported in that piece. So I am skeptical. I don't use Ad Words but I host Ad Sense and I get lots of clicks, however, as stated earlier, almost zero Android page views, so something is amiss.

Agreed that if you're not seeing any activity from Android owners then something isn't right. I'd suspect it's the way results are being reported. With Android smartphones outselling iPhones according to all sources it doesn't make sense you don't see any of them.
  • Reply 58 of 208
    Quote:

Agreed that if you're not seeing any activity from Android owners then something isn't right. I'd suspect it's the way results are being reported. With Android smartphones outselling iPhones according to all sources it doesn't make sense you don't see any of them.

I don't know Google Analytics browser/OS reports are highly detailed and specific.
  • Reply 59 of 208
    Quote:

I see. Well I believe there are a thousand fold more web page ads than app ads so I am gauging a different environment for sure. Do Android people just use free apps and never surf the actual web?

No, its just that that metric was just in app adds from that company. Tells us nothing else.

Quote:

I don't know Google Analytics browser/OS reports are highly detailed and specific.

some people are seeing safari for android in analytics, and android devices often use webkit. That could be the issue but I dunno.
  • Reply 60 of 208
    Quote:

some people are seeing safari for android in analytics, and android devices often use webkit. That could be the issue but I dunno.

Yeah I get those occasionally as well but I attributed it to intentionally modified UA strings on Android devices. Certainly not a widely used option I wouldn't imagine.