Motorola's Android 3.0 Honeycomb Xoom sales forecast slashed to 100,000 units

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 172
    gakuseigakusei Posts: 35member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

I don't think so, like I always tell my wife ...... if you're doing it right .... you don't have to do it often! ...

The issues I have with iOS compared with Android currently:
    • Notifications are awful. I think everyone knows this. Also they should be displayed on the lock screen somehow instead of just as a pop-up.

• App Store doesn't notify you when there are updates.

• Safari needs to at least have the option to display tabs.

• There need to be widgets and/or live icons for things like weather, RSS feeds, or other new content.

• Should be able to update the OS without plugging in the iPad.

• Double click for multi-tasking is awful UI. I realize Apple has been testing gestures, but they haven't been released to average joe (me) yet.

• The text input needs to offer multiple suggestions instead of just the one, or at least the option to do that.

• Safari should be able to live sync bookmarks, passwords, and open tabs with desktop Safari. With Chrome and Firefox too, if they're feeling really generous.

• iTunes should be able to automatically download podcasts.

I realize there are several workarounds that get some of these done, but I think most of them should be handled through the base OS. Also this is just a short list of what I can think of at the moment.

I like the iPad a lot, but there's plenty of room for improvement in iOS 5.
  • Reply 162 of 172
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gakusei View Post

[*]App Store doesn't notify you when there are updates.

U sure?

Mine does. There's a little red circle with a number on the upper corner of the App Store application when there's a new update for one of my apps.
  • Reply 163 of 172
    a-mazea-maze Posts: 65member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archos View Post

"Motorola has sold 100,000 XOOM tablets in less than a month and a half, which is an average of over 75,000 units per month. ThatÂ?s ... 100/2=50 and not 75.

Guys math's a bitch but 100000 in a month and Ã* half is

100000 in 1.5 months

200000 in 3 months

66666 in 1 month

Sis !
  • Reply 164 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

U sure?

Mine does. There's a little red circle with a number on the upper corner of the App Store application when there's a new update for one of my apps.

That's only when you open the app. It should do that in the background and notify you of updates instead of it being a user initiated process.
  • Reply 165 of 172
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

That's only when you open the app. It should do that in the background and notify you of updates instead of it being a user initiated process.

The notification is on the App Store icon on the home screen - you don't have to open the app or initiate anything to see it.
  • Reply 166 of 172
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

Apple hasn't built their brand by advertising. .

for years, where i live, i had never seen an advert for any apple product.

Recently, they are everywhere. During primetime tv I see ipad adverts virtually every break. Combined with iphone and the occasional macbook air advert, its like a never ending barrage of apple.

Strangely, apple sales have taken off.
  • Reply 167 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

The notification is on the App Store icon on the home screen - you don't have to open the app or initiate anything to see it.

I realize it's on the home screen. The badge with the number of apps to be updated doesn't appear until you open the App Store and close out of it without updating.
  • Reply 168 of 172
    swingerjswingerj Posts: 21member
    Quote:

I realize it's on the home screen. The badge with the number of apps to be updated doesn't appear until you open the App Store and close out of it without updating.

It also updates when you sync your iPhone. Other than that opening the AppStore was the only way I could check for updates.
  • Reply 169 of 172
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

I see what you mean. I find I have updates available pretty much every day, so I hadn't noticed that the numbers did not always agree. Seems like it would be very simple to have the app do that as a background activity intermittently.
  • Reply 170 of 172
    hezetationhezetation Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

"experimental support for Flash is still not able to deliver reasonable performance even for web videos"

You mean the final version of Flash, available on Android Market that delivers video perfectly as the below example shows?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq6xzyxVYg0

What res are those videos, cause it isn't just about playing a tiny 360p video. My gen 1 iPad can play 720p HTML5 video without missing a beat. Movies I have encoded 720p in H.264 can play for hours & barely effect battery.
  • Reply 171 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

It doesn’t matter if sales are lower or ramp up gradually. All that matters to make the Xoom a success is if it has pretty close to the iPad’s selection of apps and games, and that they’re of equal quality, with developers making money to keep supporting them. Assuming that battery life remains good once Flash is working, that the OS itself matches iOS for ease and simplicity, and that Motorola can match Apple’s sub-$500 entry-level price, then it’s really only the apps that matter. Hopefully Android’s app situation is about as good as on iOS...

Android is beloved of a certain subsegment of hard core, old-school, under-the-hood, troubleshooting-addicted, tech-savvy people. (People like us who frequent tech forums! But specifically, the Apple-hating subsegment who cling emotionally to buzzwords instead of looking at what each product delivers in actual use. Who prefer choice and power on paper instead of choice and power in reality.) That subsegment is not enough to drive sales... BUT sadly, every one of those Apple-haters influences the buying decisions of 10 regular people. (People who do NOT want to fuss with their computers, and could really benefit from an iPad.) In the short term, until those regular people get fed up and buy an iPad (or an abacus), that WILL generate some sales.

iPad competitors are fighting against the perception of being cheap iPad knockoffs. I don't think it's just supply issues that drives them to keep price parity with Apple, but to fight this public perception.
  • Reply 172 of 172
    wilwil Posts: 170member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by patrickwalker View Post

iPad competitors are fighting against the perception of being cheap iPad knockoffs. I don't think it's just supply issues that drives them to keep price parity with Apple, but to fight this public perception.

I tend to disagree, cheap knockoffs tend to be a contender sooner than later especially when they are well thought out, well designed and have the user in mind. The problem with Motorola, Samsung, Goggle, Microsoft and others in their response to Apple's iPad is this, their upper management literally panicked because they don't want Apple to dominate the tablet devices like they did with the iPod and they got their heads and ass handed back to them when they try to sell unfinished and rushed products to the general public.