Gartner's iPhone, Android predictions radically revised in a year and a half

Comments

• Reply 61 of 208
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

some people are seeing safari for android in analytics, and android devices often use webkit. That could be the issue but I dunno.

Now that you mention it, I think I saw something along those lines posted a few days ago. Good catch Asdasd.
  • Reply 62 of 208
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Now that you mention it, I think I saw something along those lines posted a few days ago. Good catch Asdasd.

Yeah I posted it
  • Reply 63 of 208
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Yeah I posted it

Well then you already knew.

A quick bit of research shows that Google's stock browser uses webkit, and in Google analytics is reported as Safari. So there's the answer. 100's of thousands (millions?) of Android devices that Google reports as using an Apple browser. You'd think they'd at least get that right.
  • Reply 64 of 208
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seanie248 View Post

yes, "outselling" !! the FREE product is OUTSELLING !! LOL LOL LOL

Make sure I never hire you : here boss, sales are up 5000% since we started giving it away !

• Reply 65 of 208
    Quote:

Well then you already knew.

A quick bit of research shows that Google's stock browser uses webkit, and in Google analytics is reported as Safari. So there's the answer.

A wrong answer I'm afraid. I have looked at the raw logs as well. There is a surprising absence of Android OS. It has nothing to do with the browser. We are not seeing the OS.
  • Reply 66 of 208
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Who is buying these thousands of Android devices?

Google's business model is selling ads. Android is supposed to put more ads in front of more eyeballs. So where are all these eyeballs? I run several websites with various target market segments and I am not seeing any Android hits in my Analytics reports. I also have a number of associates who also have sites and use Google Analytics. None of us are seeing any 'ADdroid' hits.

On the other hand iOS device page views are through the roof.

Android users haven't figured out the surfing part yet?
  • Reply 67 of 208
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    Quote:

But making the statement "overall iOS is outselling Android by a wide margin" may not be true.

I shouldn't have said "outselling"---I meant market share. According to Net Applications iOS currently has almost four times the market share that Android does. I don't actually know which is currently growing faster.
  • Reply 68 of 208
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NormM View Post

I shouldn't have said "outselling"---I meant market share. According to Net Applications iOS currently has almost four times the market share that Android does. I don't actually know which is currently growing faster.

Thanks for the link. I believe their reports are page views not market share or sales. This confirms my data. Although mine shows a more extreme spread favoring iOS, but since their sample size is much larger, I would assume it is a more accurate average.
  • Reply 69 of 208
    No problem Norn. figured you might not mean that exactly the way it came out. Nice source by the way. Hadn't seen that one before. Added it to my bookmarks, so thanks!
  • Reply 70 of 208
    Gartner also predicts that Steve Ballmer will keep his job and earn the other half of that bonus they withheld from his last year.
  • Reply 71 of 208
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Android users haven't figured out the surfing part yet?

A lot of this huge influx of new Android users just turned in their dumb phones and got from two to six Android phones. They don't surf the web with them any more than they did with their old phones.
  • Reply 72 of 208
    aluopaluop Posts: 57member
    I think most of these analysts forget the fact that most of Nokia's "smartphone" market share is from their low-end devices which should not be categorized as smartphone to begin with. They put S60 on phones without 3G and GPS and call them smartphone. Nobody wants high-end phones from Nokia. I would say less than 20% of the current Symbian market share may transfer to WP7 or WP8.
  • Reply 73 of 208
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

... the most salient fact which seem to have him so upset: Android is currently outselling iOS.

Poor Danny.

No, it isn't. The aggregate of all phones running Android may outsell the current model iPhone (US, international?). But both Android and iOS are operating systems. Besides the iPhone there are millions of iPod touch, iPads, and AppleTV's that all also run iOS. Leaving them out of the totals is simply incompetent and/or disengenuous. This entire phase of enhanced capability of mobile OS's was jump started by Apple and iOS continues to grow explosively. Ignoring or denying this reality is simply bizarre.
  • Reply 74 of 208
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

When Apple re-releases the iPhone 3GS as a $200 contract-free smartphone, Android growth will flat-out

If it was just about price.

For more than a few folks, the issue is the conditions of ownership. They don't like being told no, you can't make things look the way you want, no you can't buy apps from where you want, etc. Sure they can jailbreak the iPhone but why bother when you can get an android and have fun

I'm curious to see what happens next now the Google is saying maybe they were too open
  • Reply 75 of 208
    kenwkkenwk Posts: 25member
    Not sure how you can "out" sell something that you basically give it away
  • Reply 76 of 208
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:

The Digler Rule:

If an analyst revises his claims in ways that favor Apple, he's "gained insight".

But if an analyst revises his claims in ways that are unflattering for Apple, he's "not very accurate".

Danny can play with his spreadsheet all he wants,staying up late to try to find the most alarming-looking charts he can muster from his selective portrayal of the data, but none of his button-pushing can change the most salient fact which seem to have him so upset: Android is currently outselling iOS.

Poor Danny.

Its comical when a troll takes on a name like "macrulez". Seriously, put a sock in it. DED's main focus was how wrong they have been in the past, and how they have been on the take from MSFT. In other words, they are not a credible source. How can one disagree with that?
  • Reply 77 of 208
    srathisrathi Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenwk View Post

Not sure how you can "out" sell something that you basically give it away

Just like iPhone 3GS.
  • Reply 78 of 208
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by srathi View Post

Just like iPhone 3GS.

Still haven't owned up to putting my name on a quote that wasn't mine. Still can't answer the question as to how many two-year-old Android phones are selling now, like the iPhone 3GS indubitably is. Same broken-record posts?tell me, how many rupees per post do outsourced astroturfers get?
  • Reply 79 of 208
    srathisrathi Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

Still haven't owned up to putting my name on a quote that wasn't mine. Still can't answer the question as to how many two-year-old Android phones are selling now, like the iPhone 3GS indubitably is. Same broken-record posts?tell me, how many rupees per post do outsourced astroturfers get?

I've removed your quote long back!

As long as Apple supports 3GS and is sold for free, you really have no argument here. Oh well! you have restored to ad hominem! Typical iFan!
  • Reply 80 of 208
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

The Digler Rule:

If an analyst revises his claims in ways that favor Apple, he's "gained insight".

But if an analyst revises his claims in ways that are unflattering for Apple, he's "not very accurate".

Danny can play with his spreadsheet all he wants,staying up late to try to find the most alarming-looking charts he can muster from his selective portrayal of the data, but none of his button-pushing can change the most salient fact which seem to have him so upset: Android is currently outselling iOS.

Poor Danny.

This post proves only one thing. You're just as poor as him, or even poorer.

Read the article.