I just bought a 'chick' car

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
...a Volkswagen Cabrio.

It was exactly what I wanted: a small, 4-cylinder/FWD convertible that can be driven in the winter. A Saab 900 is my notion of an ideal car, but really, the Cabrio is more than nice enough.

I had briefly considered a Miata, but the ?jellybean? look has always left me cold. Give me something square, please. The VW's upright profile seems more interesting and unique to my eyes - a bit like those cars you drew when you were eight years old. In fact, I liked it better before VW sought to bevel the pug nose.

Every model in stock had leather seats, and the salesman didn?t believe me when I said that I didn?t want them - he thought I was playing at a discount. When I explained that I simply preferred cloth, he looked at me as though I?d come from the moon.

Cheers,

Mark.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    That's too fukcing funny. I worked with a guy that owned one of those. We told him if we ever saw him in it our only thought would be "that chick looks like Haviar".
  • Reply 2 of 55
    Did you get that color? I had a hard time getting a silver honda civic. I also heard that 1/4 of the cars GM ships are silver. We're becoming pod people or something?
  • Reply 3 of 55
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Speaking of "VWs and chick cars", is it just me or is every female VW driver a cutie-pie or a vixen? Seems like it!

I've been keeping this little running observation for the past 4 years or so. When I'm out and about and see a VW (Beetle, Jetta, anything!), I'm constantly amazed at the level of attractiveness displayed by the woman driving it.

Somewhere in all that is a good coffee table book idea. Or, at the very least, a pretty cool website or gallery.

<a href="http://www.babesdrivevws.com?"; target="_blank">www.babesdrivevws.com?</a>

I wonder if I can get some scientific data on this. Screw the grocery store, bars and laundry mats. Just go hang out at a VW dealership on a Saturday...
  • Reply 4 of 55
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by scott_h_phd:

<strong>Did you get that color? I had a hard time getting a silver honda civic. I also heard that 1/4 of the cars GM ships are silver. We're becoming pod people or something?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Silver cars are cool looking, expecially Hondas.
  • Reply 5 of 55
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    There are no less than four silver Honda Civics (including mine *sigh* ) just in one parking row at work. Last week I stood in front of one and almost broke into it before I realized it wasn't mine.

And we're supposedly creative types at my place. Obviously not!
  • Reply 6 of 55
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    You want to know a turn on? A chick who drives a 3rd gen Rx-7.

Seriously, though, the size of the car and its seats more or less restrict anyone who has more than 10% body fat. All 2 of the women I've seen behind these wheels (one was a 1994 Vintage Red Touring model, the other a 95 Brilliant Black P.E.P.) have been rather attractive.

I know what you mean about the Beetles though, and the chicks that often drive them. But being a mazda enthusiast, I have to take the time here to curse you for not going with the Miata. You see, the more money Mazda makes, the more likely they are to do crazy things . . . . like building more rotary powered cars!!! (the crowd goes wild)

- - - - -

95/96 Montego Blue P.E.P. with a little "John Norair Special" work on the intake and exhaust.

[ 06-22-2002: Message edited by: Splinemodel ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 55
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Cabrio is okay.

But if you are getting the Beattle that would be another story
  • Reply 8 of 55
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong>Speaking of "VWs and chick cars", is it just me or is every female VW driver a cutie-pie or a vixen? Seems like it!

I've been keeping this little running observation for the past 4 years or so. When I'm out and about and see a VW (Beetle, Jetta, anything!), I'm constantly amazed at the level of attractiveness displayed by the woman driving it.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I find VW drivers to usually be middle aged women, aging hippies, or guys thinking that girls will like his car.

Also, I have always liked the Cabrio but wouldn't be caught dead in it because I know my friends would kill me. Plus, I got the Jag. Nice car though. I don't get the cloth over leather thing though. That's just fvcking weird. I meant that in the nicest way possible though.

[ 06-23-2002: Message edited by: G4Dude ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 55
    I think Honda's sliver sucks but all of Honda's other colors suck more. I have nothing against any other color but this year the red green blue and all the rest look muddy. The silver this year could be called a gray. Yuck.

One woman I work with just got a Jetta TDI. She fits more the young middle aged hippy type rather than the babe type.
  • Reply 10 of 55
    falconfalcon Posts: 458member
    God damn honda rice burners. I fart in your general direction.

Nice chick car though.
  • Reply 11 of 55
    Racist.
  • Reply 12 of 55
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
  • Reply 13 of 55
    markmark Posts: 143member
    The silver was nice, but I chose white. With a black/beige cloth interior and the standard flat-as-a-pancake wheel covers.

This is what it will look like:

As far as VW types go, I'd fall into the 'quasi-hippy college T/A' category before 'fabulous plastic pinup.' When first looking at Volkswagens, I thought of a diesel Jetta wagon or Eurovan. It's too bad the TDI engine isn't available for the Cabrio, because I'd have gone with that, but I suppose gas has its own advantages.

[quote]There are no less than four silver Honda Civics (including mine *sigh* ) just in one parking row at work. Last week I stood in front of one and almost broke into it before I realized it wasn't mine.<hr></blockquote>

Ha ha. My trade-in was a silver '97 Civic EX sedan.

I didn't realize that the leather issue was cut and dry for so many people; am I the only one who'd hold out against it? To me, cloth is more comfortable, a plainer look, and less expensive besides. Chacun son gout.

I recently saw a Rabbit-generation medium brown Jetta in exceptional condition. For all I know, it could have looked as new - it was that flawless and clean. The owner had clearly taken great care of that car; right down to the original equipment dog-dish steel wheel covers.

That's me in 30 years. I've never bought anything really nice, but I expect the Cabrio to be a joy.

Cheers,

Mark.
  • Reply 14 of 55
    [quote]Originally posted by G4Dude:

<strong>

I find VW drivers to usually be middle aged women, aging hippies, or guys thinking that girls will like his car.[ 06-23-2002: Message edited by: G4Dude ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, that seems to be the expected thing, huh? Seriously, though, I haven't seen that. Most middle-age women I know drive SUVs, mini-vans or practical sedans. As for the "aging hippie" group, I usually find them in 70's-80's era Volvos. With an appropriate anti-nuke, anti-Reagan, "Free (fill in the blank here)...", "Envision World Peace", etc. bumper sticker.

But VWs? Seems to run the range from the fresh-scrubbed, cutie-pie "girl next door" college type to the early-mid 40's sexy vixen soccer mom (my personal favorite).

• Reply 15 of 55
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong>

I wonder if I can get some scientific data on this. Screw the grocery store, bars and laundry mats. Just go hang out at a VW dealership on a Saturday...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Or you could buy a <a href="http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/page?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=8300945231&m=1230927094"; target="_blank">TiBook</a>

I like Cabrios and I'd be happy to own one - chick car or no. But I gotta go with Splinemodel on the 3rd gen RX-7. The "lust factor" of the RX is simply off the charts.
  • Reply 16 of 55
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    [quote]

I didn't realize that the leather issue was cut and dry for so many people; am I the only one who'd hold out against it? To me, cloth is more comfortable, a plainer look, and less expensive besides. Chacun son gout.

<hr></blockquote>

It's all about suede seats. I tend to slide around in the leather seats when negotiating turns at beyond 1G.

I still don't quite grasp the whole boring-car-cult, but that's just me. I'm an exotic nut. . . Like a Macadamia or something. You're a TA you say? What department? All of the engineering TA's I know are motorheads.
  • Reply 17 of 55
    [quote]Originally posted by Splinemodel:

<strong>...

I still don't quite grasp the whole boring-car-cult, but that's just me.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I used to care about cars but just don't anymore. If my '89 civic hadn't broken down I'd still be driving that. I don't understand the whole car==penis cult. Or in Mark's case, vulva

[ 06-23-2002: Message edited by: scott_h_phd ]</p>
  • Reply 18 of 55
    That's okay, guys. Many others out therre don't understand our computer-cult thing. I personally don't understand "Survivor"-cult, video game-cult, football-cult, Freddie Prinze, Jr.-cult, "Star Trek"- cult and on and on and on.

To each his own...

[ 06-23-2002: Message edited by: pscates ]</p>
  • Reply 19 of 55
    [quote]Originally posted by Splinemodel:

[QB]You want to know a turn on? A chick who drives a 3rd gen Rx-7.

<hr></blockquote>

I would tend to agree, unless my girlfriend is reading this, in which case, I think a girl in a Renault is hot.

I just toured the Mazda plant in Hiroshima a couple of months ago, and I have a better appreciation for Mazda. Usually, when I work with an automotive manufacturer, I want to avoid their cars after seeing how they engineer or assemble them. Mazda is the exception to that rule. That doesn't mean that their cars are perfect, I just think they do a better job than most others.

Which leads me to my perfect winter car: a 2nd gen Mazda Miata.

Here in Germany, Cabriolets are "chick cars" as well.
  • Reply 20 of 55
    [quote]Originally posted by G4Dude:

Also, I have always liked the Cabrio but wouldn't be caught dead in it because I know my friends would kill me. Plus, I got the Jag. Nice car though. I don't get the cloth over leather thing though. That's just fvcking weird. I meant that in the nicest way possible though.

<hr></blockquote>

It depends what you do with your car. I prefer to drive it (&lt;- uh, not being sarcastic).

One of my cars has leather Recaros. They're very comfortable, but after driving 10 hours in the desert or all day on the track, you get all sweaty. Plus, you slide around too much on the track (even with a 5-pt harness). I prefer cloth.