Authorized Steve Jobs biography to arrive in early 2012

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Publishing house Simon & Schuster announced Sunday that an authorized biography on Steve Jobs will be released in early 2012, providing readers with an unprecedented look at the life of Apple's CEO and co-founder.

The biography, entitled "iSteve: The Book of Jobs," will be written by Walter Isaacson, a former Time executive who has written best-selling biographies about Benjamin Franklin and Albert Einstein, as noted by the Associated Press. Last year, reports emerged that Isaacson was working on the book, but Sunday's news comes as the first official confirmation of the project.

"This is the perfect match of subject and author, and it is certain to be a landmark book about one of the world's greatest innovators," Jonathan Karp, publisher of Simon & Schuster, said in a statement. "Just as he did with Einstein and Benjamin Franklin, Walter Isaacson is telling a unique story of revolutionary genius."

Isaacson began work on the book in 2009 and has interviewed Jobs himself, as well as his family members, coworkers and competitors. He has also reportedly been invited by Jobs to tour his childhood home.

While this isn't the first biography written about Jobs, this is the first time that Jobs has cooperated with one. In 2005, an unauthorized biography of Jobs entitled "iCon Steve Jobs: The Greatest Second Act in the History of Business" resulted in Apple pulling all titles by publisher John Wiley & Sons from the company's retail stores. The resulting publicity prompted Wiley to double the book's initial press run and move the release date forward by several weeks.

It has been suggested that Jobs' recent health issues have contributed to his willingness to collaborate on the biography. "Cooperation with Mr. Isaacson could be a sign that Mr. Jobs has emerged from his recent health battles with more of an interest in shaping his legacy," said a New York Times report last year.

Jobs is currently on his second medical leave in two years. Though Jobs has asked for privacy during his leave, public appearances by him have generated significant buzz due to speculation about his health.

In February, Jobs was photographed at a dinner with President Obama and other business leaders.

In March, surprised attendees by taking the stage at the iPad 2 event. "We've been working on this product for a while and I just didn't want to miss today," said Jobs after receiving a standing ovation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    rybryb Posts: 56member
    I'll be interested. He is an intriguing personality.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    To me, the idea that Jobs cooperated with the author of this book and that its release is in 2012 signifies that he may be stepping down then. Other than health reasons, why allow the release a biography before your time is up?

I see the 2012 as the perfect announcement of his retirement. To many it will really be the end of the world as we know.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    nitronitro Posts: 91member
    when is the movie coming out?

i watched the "pirates of the silicon" valley couple of times, it was ok.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nitro View Post

when is the movie coming out?

i watched the "pirates of the silicon" valley couple of times, it was ok.

I'll buy this. In iBooks no doubt.

I'd love to see an update to "Pirates". Billy and Melinda doling out their cash for causes, while Ballmer runs Microsoft into the ground. Paul Allen running his sports teams. Woz in the background doing "Dancing with the Stars." Steve and Tim and all the others reload and take over the world.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    This will be the only biography of Steve Jobs you'll be able to buy from the iBooks Store, I assume?
  • Reply 6 of 31
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    This is exciting news. I remember reading The Journey is the Reward quite a few years ago and eating up every word. It's hard to believe Jobs would cooperate but maybe his cancer made him realize it's better to have a say in shaping your legacy than rely on authors who might not have the true story.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

This will be the only biography of Steve Jobs you'll be able to buy from the iBooks Store, I assume?

Since it is an authorized Autohagiography of the man's life to date, it's the only one you would really want.

Personally, I'm glad I had the opportunity to have him as a boss, not once but twice.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    As an AAPL shareholder, I'm definitely concerned after reading this. Looks like SJ is moving to the background and that just can't be good for the company. I don't want to hold MSFT without Bill and the same applys to AAPL without Steve.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    magicjmagicj Posts: 406member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

As an AAPL shareholder, I'm definitely concerned after reading this. Looks like SJ is moving to the background and that just can't be good for the company. I don't want to hold MSFT without Bill and the same applys to AAPL without Steve.

If you're concerned about Steve leaving Apple, there are a lot better signs that it will happen than him authorizing a bio.

Like the fact that, for the most part, he's already gone.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    petvaspetvas Posts: 11member
    I don't read many books but I would be interested to find out more about Steve Jobs' life. He is a very interesting personality that has contributed very much to the whole industry.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I might buy this book, that's if I can find a bookstore to buy it in.

Changing times the last two have shut down in the shopping centre I work in.

I'd like to see what Steve's guiding hand can achieve with an iBook on an iPad, it could end up as something that could blow the concept of traditional books away.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    I love tech bios and this will probably top them all. I very much appreciate that Mr. Jobs took the time to write this. It will for sure shape his legacy and be the most quoted book about him for eternity.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I will definitely buy this, however what I really want to hear is Steve's thoughts on the future. Sort of like Bill Gates wrote The Road Ahead.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Put me down for a copy.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I will definitely buy this, however what I really want to hear is Steve's thoughts on the future. Sort of like Bill Gates wrote The Road Ahead.

I hope that it will be in no way or no how similar to The Road Ahead.

I recall serious reviewers panning it.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Good news for those interested in what Steve himself has to say on his life and outlook. Certainly expected to be a welcome balance to the previously published unauthorized biography "Steve Jobs and The Second Coming of Steve Jobs".

So when will anyone be publishing any of the highlights from the book? Looking forward to a few as advance copies get perused later this year (hopefully).
  • Reply 17 of 31
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    The end is near
  • Reply 18 of 31
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

Then sell today. Nobody lives forever and any company that can't survive without the founder isn't worth owning anyway. Apple will go on after Jobs and will continue to be successful. Today is different than the post-Jobs era in the early 90s. Jobs has his people trained and ready to take over. I'm sure of it.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Then sell today. Nobody lives forever and any company that can't survive without the founder isn't worth owning anyway. Apple will go on after Jobs and will continue to be successful. Today is different than the post-Jobs era in the early 90s. Jobs has his people trained and ready to take over. I'm sure of it.

Perhaps he should team up with the unions and that governance outfit (I forget their name) to bring a shareholder suit against Apple since SJ is a mere mortal.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

To me, the idea that Jobs cooperated with the author of this book and that its release is in 2012 signifies that he may be stepping down then. Other than health reasons, why allow the release a biography before your time is up?

I see the 2012 as the perfect announcement of his retirement. To many it will really be the end of the world as we know.

I confess I had the exact same thoughts. Hopefully SJ goes into a semi retirement and stays with Apple as a 'guru' and concept engineer for another few decades.