Gartner sees Apple's iPad dominating tablet market through 2015

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 76
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seankill View Post

The iPad will probably be the only tablet I ever buy.

My iPhone 4 doesn't charge, it says 6% battery but once I plug it in, the plug shows in thebattery symbol and it doesn't charge.

Anyone have any ideas?

I know this is off topic, but this thread is father tiresome anyway...

I had a similar problem with my 3GS last year. Some corrosion on the charging contacts, it seemed. Sync and back up (if you can--email yourself anything important since last update if you can't) and take it to an Apple store. They checked the immersion indicators on mine and swapped it out with a new one in 5 minutes...

The ease of the transaction is one of the reasons I am so happy with my iPhones. When it comes time to get an iPad, it will surely be an iPad...
  • Reply 62 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Menno View Post

The post I quoted on said I was ignoring "inconvenient" facts. So, since I said that AI is a Fan site (not a news Site), where are the facts to counter this? When is the last time AI posted ANYTHING that questioned a move by Apple or suggested how they could improve their current position?

If they were a news site, that would be fine. But the thing is is that they DO provide commentary (see, DED) it just always happens to be in Apple's favor. Then they're not a news site, and they can't be an analysis site, because an analyst NEVER maintains the same POV no matter what. So what are they? I said they're a fan site, being generous. You disagreed, saying I was ignoring facts.

So, where are the facts I'm ignoring mouse?

OK, fine, it's a fan site. I'm a fan, which doesn't mean I don't wish Apple would do some things differently.

I'm really interested in the psychology of this, though. The simplest assumption is that you're a paid Google astroturfer, but if not.... Is somebody from over here going to some Android fansite you hang out at and pissing in your cornflakes? (I'm just assuming that such sites exist, I don't know.) I'm sure they're hotbeds of closely reasoned analysis if they do exist?surely nobody would say anything bad about a competitor over there. So seriously, what's your motivation?
  • Reply 63 of 76
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

OK, fine, it's a fan site. I'm a fan, which doesn't mean I don't wish Apple would do some things differently.

I'm really interested in the psychology of this, though. The simplest assumption is that you're a paid Google astroturfer, but if not.... Is somebody from over here going to some Android fansite you hang out at and pissing in your cornflakes? (I'm just assuming that such sites exist, I don't know.) I'm sure they're hotbeds of closely reasoned analysis if they do exist—surely nobody would say anything bad about a competitor over there. So seriously, what's your motivation?

But the thing is, AI has NEVER posted any analysis that says apple should do differently. Even as a Fan of iOS, you wish they would improve things. So don't you think it's strange that a site that is the start of so many reposts across Apple-related sites would never mention anything that's even mildly critical of iOS? Even if it leads to a better user experience?

And again, where in this topic have I EVER tried pushing android? No seriously, where have I said it? If I was a fandroid, I'm pretty sure I would take a position pointing out Android's gain (I didn't). I'm saying Gartner is trash, and that AI has said as much, on multiple occasions, and yet they CONTINUE posting the data, only providing commentary if the data isn't in Apple's favor.

I've stated why I'm here before, and since I don't call myself a fandroid, people like you dismiss it. I'm not wasting time writing it up again.

**And for the record, most Android "Fansites" are also rather critical of Android when they need to be, just like most iOS "fansites" aren't afraid to write a post when they think Apple's missing the mark somewhere.
  • Reply 64 of 76
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The Nook's, and specifically the Nook color, have been somewhat successful. That's the only one I can think of.

Is the Nook (and Nook Color) really considered an Android tablet? Doesn't it have to be rooted in order to do much more than serve as a book reading device? I have seen some Kindles (also a tablet?) "in the wild" but Nooks I've only seen in B & N and Best Buy stores. Both have probably been sold in quantity but putting them in the same category as the iPad seems an unwarranted stretch.
  • Reply 65 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sdbryan View Post

Is the Nook (and Nook Color) really considered an Android tablet? Doesn't it have to be rooted in order to do much more than serve as a book reading device? I have seen some Kindles (also a tablet?) "in the wild" but Nooks I've only seen in B & N and Best Buy stores. Both have probably been sold in quantity but putting them in the same category as the iPad seems an unwarranted stretch.

The Nook just released an SDK for developers to bring their apps to it. It's not an Android tablet in the traditional sense (no Market access) And I don't think it should be tabulated as an "Android Tablet" because of this, but since it technically runs Android, Gartner most likely just threw it in there.
  • Reply 66 of 76
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    There's a resemblance by Gartner and their ilk to Palm Beach "walkers" - young to middle aged "gentlemen" on Florida's Atlantic Coast, who flirt with and squire around wealthy, lonely widows and spinsters. There's no sense of conviction, principles or ethics in play here. It's all about chasing the wafting scent of money.[/QUOTE]

Now we agree - Capitalism isn't about conviction, ethics or principles simply money, cool of course Apple is above all this (sarcasm)
  • Reply 67 of 76
    Quote:

....And again, where in this topic have I EVER tried pushing android?....

You're kidding, right? There hasn't been a single thread related to Android or its market share that you haven't immediately hopped onto with the latest Google propaganda, fresh that morning, ignoring anything anybody actually says, and repeating the same talking points over and over and over.... If you're not getting paid, I just can't understand what your motivation is. At least you're considerably more literate than MacRulez or some of the other real trolls.
  • Reply 68 of 76
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

... If you've got two good-looking devices on the shelf with the form-factor the buyer is looking for, basically the same hardware and stock functionality, but the "other" is 20% less than Apple's product, "other" is going to get the nod more often than not. Arguing that 80% of the buyers would opt for spending 20% more only because one has the Apple name on it is unlikely...

What fantasy world do you currently live in? Nobody, and I mean nobody has a 20% price advantage on Apple in the iPad market. The only question currently is how hopelessly overpriced "competitive" devices are and how lame the software is. If a customer hates Apple I'm sure he will buy from a competitor just like there was a market for the Zune. How did that turn out for the true disbelievers?
  • Reply 69 of 76
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sdbryan View Post

What fantasy world do you currently live in? Nobody, and I mean nobody has a 20% price advantage on Apple in the iPad market. The only question currently is how hopelessly overpriced "competitive" devices are and how lame the software is. If a customer hates Apple I'm sure he will buy from a competitor just like there was a market for the Zune. How did that turn out for the true disbelievers?

The back and forth would be so much more pleasant if you would respond to what I actually wrote instead of what you either wish or imagined I wrote. I was explaining my idea of a typical consumer. The explanation used an example. Simply because their may not be a device that matches the description yet ( I don't know if there is one or not, or even if there will be), doesn't make the idea behind why the average consumer buys what they do incorrect.

EDIT: Your post did get me looking to see what some of the Android tablets are priced at. Acer's Iconia Tab is set at $450, while ASUS Eee Pad Tranformer will go for $400. Both are comparable both hardware and display-wise with Apple's tablet. Both to be sold by Best Buy (any relationship to Apple's rumored displeasure with BB?) By happenstance the ASUS price is 20% less than Apple's entry-level iPad2.
  • Reply 70 of 76
    Gartner seems to have a firm grip of the obvious!
  • Reply 71 of 76
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

There's a resemblance by Gartner and their ilk to Palm Beach "walkers" - young to middle aged "gentlemen" on Florida's Atlantic Coast, who flirt with and squire around wealthy, lonely widows and spinsters. There's no sense of conviction, principles or ethics in play here. It's all about chasing the wafting scent of money.

Now we agree - Capitalism isn't about conviction, ethics or principles simply money, cool of course Apple is above all this (sarcasm)

I disagree with you. Your sarcasm is misplaced.
  • Reply 72 of 76
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by barboure View Post

I was looking at the sales results for 2010. I hadn't realized that two and a half million android tablets were sold last year. I've never seen one. Is this true and if so what were they?

These are sales to the channel not to customers.

For iOS this isn't a problem as we know that each iPad delivered to the channel was sold to a customer.

For the others...
  • Reply 73 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

The primary reason PCs gained the market share they did is because they were IBM (and compatible) PCs. IBM's entrenched position in business at that time (which is where most of the purchasing took place then) immediately gave them an advantage in the market. Microsoft rode those coattails and that advantage carried through the Windows era.

None of those dynamics are at play in the tablet market (or the smartphone market), except perhaps that Apple is the perceived leader in making these types of devices, no longer Microsoft, and that Android simply isn't perceived as suitable for enterprise deployment. But, the consumer market is also much more of a factor these days than it was in the early days of the PC, so any analogies made have to also account for that.

The bottom line is that simple analogies with Apple vs. IBM/Microsoft, or Mac vs. PC/DOS/Windows, simply are not valid for any sort of meaningful analysis.

Of course the fact that non-Apple devices were what was in use in office environments is a factor but the biggest reason the early lead was sustained is that price and software availability gave other computer manufacturers a distinct edge over Apple.

Now Apple is making cheaper touchscreen computers and offering a lot more software at great prices. By keeping a closed system, Apple is able to provide an integrated, positive user experience. That the software eco-system is under tight control hardly matters to the end user when there is a convenient, plentiful supply of inexpensive software.

What is rather revealing is that while all of this has clearly demonstrated Apple's ability to learn from the past, the competition, from what I can tell, is not showing the same ability. This may be partially because other manufacturers look back and perceive themselves as having been the victors and hence the tendency to stick with what is perceived to be a winning formula.
  • Reply 74 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

You're kidding, right? There hasn't been a single thread related to Android or its market share that you haven't immediately hopped onto with the latest Google propaganda, fresh that morning, ignoring anything anybody actually says, and repeating the same talking points over and over and over.... If you're not getting paid, I just can't understand what your motivation is. At least you're considerably more literate than MacRulez or some of the other real trolls.

Again, I have not ONCE pushed android in this topic.

On the previous post, (also about Gartner) I didn't bring up Android until YOU and other's did. My first post there was much like this one here, I pointed out how AI seems to selectively believe Gartner posts depending on how they position iOS.

-I don't push Google's marketshare and say it will blow iOS out of the water.

-The only time I say Android is superior is how it directly effects how I use it. I know a lot of people who are satisfied with iOS, and that's fine.

In fact, the only time I really post lately is when you or someone like you goes out of their way to spread FUD about Android. Tell me how that makes sense. You're on an apple site, right? You're a fan of apple products because you feel they are superior in both software and hardware, correct? So why feel the urge to go out of your way to bash the competition on this site?

And I don't ignore what people say. In fact, I reply directly to their points (and I even use Links from time to time!) When I ask for the same in turn, I don't get it.

Take your reply here. You ignored everything else from that post, and instead focused on a single quote, which you didn't understand (again, please tell me where I pushed Android on this thread) and called me a fanboy. How is that not ignoring what I say and instead posting the same crap over and over again?
  • Reply 75 of 76
    Quote:

Again, I have not ONCE pushed android in this topic.

On the previous post, (also about Gartner) I didn't bring up Android until YOU and other's did. My first post there was much like this one here, I pointed out how AI seems to selectively believe Gartner posts depending on how they position iOS.

-I don't push Google's marketshare and say it will blow iOS out of the water.

-The only time I say Android is superior is how it directly effects how I use it. I know a lot of people who are satisfied with iOS, and that's fine.

In fact, the only time I really post lately is when you or someone like you goes out of their way to spread FUD about Android. Tell me how that makes sense. You're on an apple site, right? You're a fan of apple products because you feel they are superior in both software and hardware, correct? So why feel the urge to go out of your way to bash the competition on this site?

And I don't ignore what people say. In fact, I reply directly to their points (and I even use Links from time to time!) When I ask for the same in turn, I don't get it.

Take your reply here. You ignored everything else from that post, and instead focused on a single quote, which you didn't understand (again, please tell me where I pushed Android on this thread) and called me a fanboy. How is that not ignoring what I say and instead posting the same crap over and over again?

So I assume from what you say here that you also vigilantly patrol the Android fansites (again, assuming they exist) and put them in their place when they unfairly criticize iOS? Hmmm? I think we all know the answer to that. In your mind, no criticism of Android is justified, but any criticism of iOS is.

Just so we're clear, I don't even like iOS. I just like Android even less, because it's an extremely clumsy, tone-deaf copy of iOS. The first Mac I ever really tried was a Centris 610 I got at a garage sale for $10, running System 7.5.?. I couldn't figure out how to get that sucker to do anything. OS X came along, and I sat down and was able to use it like I'd been doing it all my life. IOS is considerably more obtuse?it takes a lot of mental effort to try and figure out how something is supposed to work. It's like trying to figure out all those stupid little pictures on my car's dashboard controls. So I'm not a mindless iPhone fanboy by any means. I just want them to keep making better and better iPhones so I can buy them used and use them as superior iPad Touches, living for the day when I can throw my cheap flip phone in the garbage and free myself from cell phones forever.
  • Reply 76 of 76
    Zajimavy clanek na tema Reklamni a propagacni predmety - tusky s logem a dalsi: logo psaci potreby

http://www.hryvidea.info/reklamni-predmety-flash-disky/