Gartner's iPhone, Android predictions radically revised in a year and a half

15678911»

Comments

• Reply 201 of 208
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Far too much importance is placed directly on unit sales as a measurement of health and growth.

The iPhone is basically in the exact same situation as the Mac. Apple owns less than 5% of the world wide computer market and makes far more money than every other computer OEM.

Would you prefer to sell the most units or make the most money?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

By March of 2010 Android had achieved 10% market share whereas Apple had gone to 15%, again from Canalys. And now the most recent reports from both Canalys and Comscore show Android holding over 30% off the smartphone market, with the iPhone models at approx. 25%.

• Reply 202 of 208
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Far too much importance is placed directly on unit sales as a measurement of health and growth.

The iPhone is basically in the exact same situation as the Mac. Apple owns less than 5% of the world wide computer market and makes far more money than every other computer OEM.

Would you prefer to sell the most units or make the most money?

Me? Show me the money. I've posted that before. I even asked in this thread ( I think) why anyone was overly concerned with market share. It's the profit that the business is after.
  • Reply 203 of 208
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

The Digler Rule:

If an analyst revises his claims in ways that favor Apple, he's "gained insight".

But if an analyst revises his claims in ways that are unflattering for Apple, he's "not very accurate".

Danny can play with his spreadsheet all he wants,staying up late to try to find the most alarming-looking charts he can muster from his selective portrayal of the data, but none of his button-pushing can change the most salient fact which seem to have him so upset: Android is currently outselling iOS.

Poor Danny.

It looks to me that WM7 and i-phone forecasting are too optimistic.

Android is crushing badly anything else, and looks like there is nothing apple can do to change that.
  • Reply 204 of 208
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soulbearer View Post

It looks to me that WM7 and i-phone forecasting are too optimistic.

Android is crushing badly anything else, and looks like there is nothing apple can do to change that.

Android is about 29% in the US, compared to 27% for Apple, at a time when Apple's latest iPhone is a bit long in the tooth and not on all carriers yet. So that will change. iPhone dominates in Europe.

This indicates Android is doomed.
  • Reply 206 of 208
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

yes

. Symbian saw its smartphone market share decline from 63.0 percent in December 2009 to 47.8 percent in December 2010, while Android consumed the largest portion of Symbian?s market share, growing more than 10 percentage points to 11.9 percent of the smartphone market at the end of 2010. Apple also saw its share grow considerably, from 13.8 percent to 20.0 percent, while RIM grew marginally to 8.6 percent share.

So in rich markets Android is doomed. The cheap iPhone will kill it.
  • Reply 207 of 208
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Figured you'd appreciate the link for support.
  • Reply 208 of 208
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    The mobile phone market is so enormous that no one manufacturer can provide for all of it. There is more than enough for everyone to prosper.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

So in rich markets Android is doomed. The cheap iPhone will kill it.