Evidence points toward Apple releasing HDTV this year - report

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple could launch an Internet-connected high-definition television set by the end of 2011, entering the lucrative $100 billion LCD TV market, a new report claims.

Analyst Brian White with Ticonderoga Securities has been at a China electronics trade show this week, and said in a note to investors that he picked up "data points" that point toward a "Smart TV" launch by Apple, possibly by the end of the year.

"Our research suggests this Smart TV would go well beyond the miniature $99 second-generation Apple TV that the company released last fall and provide a full-blown TV product for consumers," White said.

He went on to say that although Apple has long been projected by company watchers to enter the HDTV market, the Mac maker now appears to be "moving down this path at a faster pace than the market expected."

"The combination of Apple's powerful ecosystem, industrial design savvy, powerful brand and ability to reinvent product categories could make Apple a powerful force in the TV world over the next few years," he said.

The biggest pusher of a prospective Internet-connected HDTV from Apple has been analyst Gene Munster of Piper Jaffray. Munster has repeatedly forecast that Apple will introduce such a product in the coming years, with a starting price of around $2,000.

Such a product could be paired with a subscription service to iTunes, allowing users to access content and services at a flat subscription rate that would negate the need for a cable box and digital video recorder. However, White's note gave no indication of potential features of such a product. Apple also has a great deal of experience with high-definition displays on its iMac desktop, including its big-screen 27-inch iMac, first released in 2009.

Earlier this year, Apple revealed it had invested $3.9 billion of its cash reserves in securing key components for products. Many have assumed that money has gone toward securing displays for its range of products, including the iPhone and iPad.

But Munster said in February he believes that $3.9 billion investment is just more evidence of a forthcoming Apple HDTV. He believes Apple could build a television set up to 50 inches in size, though he predicted earlier this year that such a product would not launch until the end of calendar year 2012 at the earliest.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 197
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Has to be the worst article in a while, Apple will never make a television set.
  • Reply 2 of 197
    dishdish Posts: 64member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

true....the only thing crazier than Apple making a television is Apple making a phone (and that would really never happen).
  • Reply 3 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

I used to think that.

Within a few years most TVs will have some form of web and iptv built in.

Apple may have no choice.

Hopefully they'll be price conscious!
  • Reply 4 of 197
    Hopefully they'll release a plasma.
  • Reply 5 of 197
    dishdish Posts: 64member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

I used to think that.

Within a few years most TVs will have some form of web and iptv built in.

Apple may have no choice.

Hopefully they'll be price conscious!

Facetime on the 50" during thanksgiving dinner would be awesome...that would be a great way to get out of visiting annoying relatives. You could just facetime with them the whole day.
  • Reply 6 of 197
    rptrpt Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dish View Post

Facetime on the 50" during thanksgiving dinner would be awesome...that would be a great way to get out of visiting annoying relatives. You could just facetime with them the whole day.

Absolutely, that is why I do it with Skype on my 52" Sony!
  • Reply 7 of 197
    samwellsamwell Posts: 78member
    Where's Ireland?
  • Reply 8 of 197
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

Hopefully they'll release a plasma.

Plasma is king. I have a Pioneer KURO and the quality blows away any LCD by a mile, plus it's not 3D and never will be, which is a wonderful thing.

That said, I really can't see Apple making an HDTV of any type. It's just too price driven for them. Pioneer tried the high end route and look how that ended.
  • Reply 9 of 197
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dish View Post

true....the only thing crazier than Apple making a television is Apple making a phone (and that would really never happen).

LOL!

I do agree that it is possible but am not sure it is the best strategic move Apple could make. I'd love to have an Apple TV; that said the TV biz is so very cut throat. There does not seem to be a lot of competition at the high end where I assume Apple would enter - except by say Sony, et al. Sony is struggling, but they have been making quality viewing systems for many years now. I find it difficult to think that Apple could (or would) compete on price - I think your average consumer looks at how much and how big, a few consider contrast, backlighting, pixels, color depth, scan refresh rate and if it is 1080i/p. Some may even consider some of the gimmicky features (like internet built-in) but for most bigger&cheaper = better. That is not who Apple sells to.

Don't get me started when it comes to the new commodity TV - 3D! They want us to think we all need one now - but there is no software.
  • Reply 10 of 197
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    Who says the $100B TV market is "lucrative"? Let's see the evidence.

There are scores of TV manufacturers and prices have been on a constant decline for years as the products become more and more commoditized. Established players like Sony have been severely bruised in the process. Unless Apple can bring something sufficiently fresh to the party, as they did with the iPhone in 2007, I don't why they'd want to wrestle in the particular mud pit.
  • Reply 11 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samwell View Post

Where's Ireland?

I am in the camp that Ireland will be proved right on this.

Makes the utmost logical sense for Apple.
  • Reply 12 of 197
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I am in the camp that Ireland will be proved right on this.

Makes the utmost logical sense for Apple.

If Gene Munster says it's so then it must be ... oh wait a minute ...
  • Reply 13 of 197
    undo redoundo redo Posts: 164member
    With a big glossy reflective screen...oh boy!
  • Reply 14 of 197
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samwell View Post

Where's Ireland?

Just west of England.
  • Reply 15 of 197
    Something like the top of the line LG 55" and 47" with passive 3D and the needed addons similar to a built in Apple TV and EyeTV functions. $1999 and $2499. (these are wild guesses)
  • Reply 16 of 197
    unicronunicron Posts: 154member
    I don't know about this. Is it going to be LED LCD or Plasma? How many HDMI ports? Thunderbolt? Stereo 3D? 60Hz/120Hz/240Hz?

Built-in Airplay, 'natch. Built-in AppleTV (considering the low cost of the standalone box). Built-in WiFi N. Built-in Bluetooth?

Is Apple only going to make one size? Maybe two? (≈42" and ≈55" seem logical.)

It seems like a nice idea. "Apps" on TV sets now are pretty clunky, slow and provide only basic functionality. Having an A5 and iOS onboard would certainly solve that.

But using premium parts results in a premium price (usually). Apple likes likes their disruptive technology. But what would truly revolutionize a TV set? Is the TV market in need of fixing?
  • Reply 17 of 197
    I find this whole concept hard to believe. Samsung is believed to have seen an 80% drop in revenue from their TV division. There are so many variables involved (LCD v Plasma, screen size, time to market, product lifespan, etc)

There are so many easier ways to skin this cat. One logical one to me would be to build an AirPlay receiver (no need for an AppleTV) built into an HDMI cable or a dongle that clips into an HDMI fitting. This is more Apple's way of doing things. If you have an iOS device then you have a whole media set up including a touch screen based remote. This would work with the whole gamut of HDMI tellies and wouldn't force consumers to forego their favourite tv brand for an Apple branded screen. Apple is interested in volume and a branded tv would get lost in the shuffle (as it were).
  • Reply 18 of 197
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    Let's hope Apple isn't heading toward being the next Sony; making high quality products but with such a large catalog, they aren't particularly good at anything. Their Mac business seems to be on the backburner somewhat recently, it's not as profitable as iOS so they don't seem to be pushing it as much.

I'd be surprised if Apple announced a TV, as there seems to be very slim profit margins in that area. Apple'd have to add some really, really awesome features to warrant paying the "Apple Tax" on a TV. The AppleTV at the moment is well priced, anyone can give it a go. However, a $2000 TV requires somewhat more consideration, and as has been said before, most people go for the biggest and cheapest. Apple's buying power could help, perhaps by lowering the cost of large LCD/plasma panels from manufacturers.
  • Reply 19 of 197
  • Reply 20 of 197
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    I think this may become essential. In the future the living room could very well be the main place for consumer internet consumption - espesially if other TV manufacturers implement good or, at least, usable internet access into their devices. Apple doesn't want to be left out in the cold if this happens.

I would be interested to know what they call it - since both iTV and AppleTV are taken.